Ixion Manor now Dapol Manor

DapolDave

Hi chaps,

As it's now pertinent to this section here is the press release from Ixion regarding Dapols aquisition of the tooling for the Manor N gauge steam locomotive.

I think its self explanatory an as such i wont be answering questions on the subject.

cheers

Dave

PRESS RELEASE/NOTICE FROM IXION MODEL RAILWAYS LTD

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 17, 2011

SALE OF OUR 'MANOR' TOOLING

Ixion Model Railways wishes to announce that it has sold the tooling, stocks and future production rights for our N gauge 'GWR/BR 'Manor' locomotive to Dapol Ltd.

All sales of current and future Manor models will be in the new Dapol branding. It should be noted that Dapol Ltd has assumed all responsibility for warranty issues on all Ixion branded Manor locomotives.

Phil Badger, Chris Klein and Lindsay O'Reilly

Directors

Ixion Model Railways Ltd.

An interesting move...

Is it just the Manor involved or does it include the other UK N gauge loco (GW Mogul??) Ixion had in development?

Are Ixion effectively withdrawing from the UK N-gauge market?

Paul

The last reference to the Mogul was in May where Ixion said it was delayed by other projects, then in July they announce Dapol would be the sole retailer for the Manor which has now developed into Dapol owning the rights to the Manor completely.

The other projects Ixion have on are all O scale models so read into that what you will.

They may still be progressing the Mogul but I think the lack of anything concrete in terms of a prototype suggest otherwise and lets face it the Manor looked to all intents and purposes a Dapol model so perhaps Dapol may be in a position to pick up that model should Ixion feel it's not for them.

Personally, whilst I welcome the stability and potential that Dapol will bring to this excellent model (I have Cookham Manor and am much impressed with it), it is sad that it appears Ixion are stepping down from this fast growing market. The innovation and individuality that a niche manufacturer brings to a hobby such as railway modelling can only be a good thing. It is a shame that Ixion couldn't spare a few minutes to post some comments about their intentions, and whether they will remain players in N Gauge.

I do hope that Dapol can continue the plan to produce the Mogul, and, additionally, they will continue to lend their own expertise to help Ixion with whatever they move on to.

• 1 month later...

Greetings. This is Chris Klein, a director of Ixion. Our current projects are 7mm scale, but our philosophy is to produce models in any scale/gauge combination that we think have a market, that will not be of interest to bigger manufacturers and that we like. Looking beyond the two O gauge projects, we are conducting a feasibility study for something that we think will be hit, but has been considered technically impossible by some. We are lucky to have Phil Badger from Sydney, Australia as a director and partner. He is an engineer by training, having served in the engineering branch of the Royal Australian Airforce and is probably one of the best engineers in the model railway field in the world. It was he who determined that with a good design based on sound engineering principles the Manor would be able to haul a big load without resort to traction tyres.

Greetings. This is Chris Klein, a director of Ixion. Our current projects are 7mm scale, but our philosophy is to produce models in any scale/gauge combination that we think have a market, that will not be of interest to bigger manufacturers and that we like. Looking beyond the two O gauge projects, we are conducting a feasibility study for something that we think will be hit, but has been considered technically impossible by some. We are lucky to have Phil Badger from Sydney, Australia as a director and partner. He is an engineer by training, having served in the engineering branch of the Royal Australian Airforce and is probably one of the best engineers in the model railway field in the world. It was he who determined that with a good design based on sound engineering principles the Manor would be able to haul a big load without resort to traction tyres.

Industrial steam 0-4-0 in N-gauge?

This is more interesting for what it doesn't say than for what it does and I think would do any politician proud. Reading between the lines I think it's crystal clear the Mogul is dead and it's almost as clear that Ixion is abandoning N gauge. Maybe it's because I'm an American but when someone says, "We're doing a feasibilty study" I hear, "We're putting it on the back burner...in perpetuity." I'm glad the Manor tooling has been sold to Dapol as I have confidence it is a going concern.

Matt

I turst we have all noted that Manors are now being sold at well known big model railway retaillers at less than £100. Just a shame it wasn't a little earlier otherwise I may have put one on my list to Santa!

Still there is always time to get one in the January sales, but please nevere tell my wife these don't really happen in model railway world!

Either way well done Dapol a smart move.

Graham

• 1 year later...

As mentioned on the Grange topic Dapol are releasing new runs of the Manor with improved tender wheels. Looking at the picture on their website http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=55#.UjM0bxaJA20 it is a massive improvement. 

Not just the wheels, it's a different tender (from the Dapol 28xx loco). Talking to Joel at TINGS, he said that it was because it was designed to be DCC ready (I seem to recall that the Ixion Manor tender wasn't?).

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Not just the wheels, it's a different tender (from the Dapol 28xx loco). Talking to Joel at TINGS, he said that it was because it was designed to be DCC ready (I seem to recall that the Ixion Manor tender wasn't?).

Andy

It wasn't but you could get a chip in.

• 5 months later...

You remember those manors promised by Dapol for Christmas which until a few weeks back "the manors are coming" on their website and are now not mentioned. Well my question is does anyone have any news on them?

Graham

7810 br green late available pre order on hattons, with due date of April or was when I ordered one on wednesday

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

My Draycott Manor arrived yesterday; rolling road tested and short NEM fitted to tender plus front coupling removed. It's a real beauty, so must give the layout a clean before a proper run. Don't worry if the NEM insert comes out with the coupling-the long one can be pulled from this, the short one put in to it and the complete couping pushed back. (Same as on the Westerns).

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

What is happening with the Dapol N Manor as it does not appear to be available?

Steve

Canada

I would guess that as with most N gauge models they are only made in batches. Several months ago Manors were being sold off cheap by Dapol, so I assume that the market was / is saturated with them so they are not currently producing more. 

Osborns and Kernow have a couple in stock and there are a handful of new ones on eBay at various prices. Rails and Hattons seem to have sold out but I suspect a search of smaller shops will turn up examples.

Archived