London Bridge re-development

Canaletto's painting of the Lord Mayor's Show - in those days held on the river - maybe its a subliminal way of saying you'll have to get wet if you want to get around London Bridge...

I can't help but notice those poor souls buffeted by the downdrafts and hoping it won't rain anytime soon.

regards 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few recent shots taken around London Bridge.

The Shard towering even higher over the old trainshed

post-1557-0-63886500-1332845664_thumb.jpg

The soon to be swept away trainshed - Not sure exactly when but wold think some time after the Olympics are over.

post-1557-0-30391600-1332846123_thumb.jpg

The new concourse is much brighter than the now neglected trainshed.

post-1557-0-66651500-1332846197_thumb.jpg

This platform number 8 view will be history once the new through platform works commence.

post-1557-0-64121500-1332846269_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

We have had notice (due to potential distraction risk to us traincrew) that the scaffolding is going up over platforms 9 upwards in the next week or two which once in place will see the removal of the train shed commence.

• RMweb Gold

The whole roof is coming down. The roof over the footbridge at that point was to deflect the rain pouring in from the roof causing problems on the footbridge.

Platforms 8 - 10 are due to close (and maybe 11 but cnt recall for exact) for the new Thameslink through platforms.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Related to all this, the old Selhurst Field Sidings are being brought back into use as Southern lose stabling capacity at London Bridge at the end of the year. Tree clearance has taken place and revealed much of the old trackwork, buffer stops etc still in place. It will all be relaid for three twelve car sidings I believe.

• RMweb Gold

Its a nice sunny morning so I took a fewm ore photos of the station when I got off ythe train. SOme tmeporary support owrk has gone up overnight just outside the trainshed, so the view is going to change within days as more goes up.

post-1557-0-93854200-1332917613_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-07961700-1332917665_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-01942800-1332917732_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-59242700-1332917855_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A nice morning and as I was on a FCC train comingf into the SOuth Eastern side of the station I decided to get a few photos from platform 6.

Very soon the scaffold will block the view of the trainshed from outside.

post-1557-0-72262500-1337929814_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-66121300-1337930408_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-01839200-1337930742_thumb.jpg

What an absolutely fascinating topic!

Sure it's sad to see an old friend depart (when it WAS an old friend!) but all this development work going on is very exiting!

Not actually been to London for a year or two now and was only aware of the 'Shard' being built due to a recent TV programme but, . . . I love it!!!

It reminds me of the 'Transamerica' building in San Francisco, at times visually striking, at others just eerie!

At least the users of London Road should all be comfortable when the work is done.

Cheers,

John E.

I find it interesting seeing developments like this happening purely as a reflection of the railways. From a passenger point of view, from the sidelines, they seem to be thriving. I just hope that these redevelopments reflect on the problems created by redevelopments 60 years ago.

I refer of course, to Birmingham New Street and no doubt other similar developments where the 'ceiling' of the station is simply too low making it dark and claustrophobic.

• RMweb Gold

John

its a real shame they couldnt keep the trainshed. The rest i am quite happy to see rebuilt. Having walked past the SHard most days since it was a hole in the ground, it is good to see it nearing completion along with the concourse on the station. DOwnside is now that the reat of the station is now going to be a mess along with the area atound Guys hospital while htey do an extnesion there.

Ian

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There was reduced activities at London Bridge during the main Olympics but since then more temporary support works and scaffolding has gone up under the train shed, and so it's now not quite as visible as it used to be. Temporary lighting is being erected now In readiness for darker days once the scaffold deck is in place.

Get these views while you can!

post-1557-0-39804700-1346689312_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-92900300-1346689345_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Canaletto mural has now gone, and many of the shops along the north side of the main concourse have been moved...either closed, or as with Smiths and M&S, shifted to the southern side.

It is sad to see the eventual loss of the overall roof, but its effectiveness is proven by the number of commuters who wander down the platform with their umbrellas up when it is raining!

A double dose of 'history in the making' with those 456s at platforms 15 and 16. They only have another couple of months left before transferring to pastures new.

• RMweb Gold

Yes its all change at London Bridge. I will miss the old train shed as at least in the midlle of winter when its blowing a gale raining / snowing it is still drier than being under a canopy that will replace this.

I had just got off the class 456 to the right from Victoria. This is another change when the service diverts to the est London line Overground service in December and going to Clapham Junction instead of Victoria and a shame as its much more pleasant than going on the underground to Victoria from London Bridge and vice versa.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That looks like an original Network clock on the platform, still in NSE colours! Remarkable! We were told at the time that these would never be wrong etc - and many proved otherwise, fell to bits years ago. Perhaps those in a covered environment did a little better.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the clocks at London Bridge are (or at least were when I was last there a few months back) all genuine NSE branded clicker clackers. There are a few hiding in corners of London Victoria as well but most have now been consigned to a skip sadly. Have always had a hankering to have a tape recorder of the sound of one of these clocks playing under the baseboard beneath the station platforms but never got around to it!!

Archived