Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

Does look very pronising even in grey, light and all!

I think this will be a winner!

As one who frequently went to see the Midland Pullmans when they were put to bed for the night at ReddishTMS I think I will have to justify somehow the appearance of one (or even 2 sets!!!!!).

My uncle used to use the service from Manchester to London occasionally for his work meetings, The service used to make a stop at I think it was Cheadle? Or Heaton Mersey which was very handy for those living in South Manchester.

Just as an aside \I seem to remember that the BLUE Pullmans were reliveried into a grey Colour with yellow ends or is this a figment of my imagination!!!

• RMweb Gold

It looked fairly stunning alright, all 6 cars of it. Cannot wait for it to be released. I was impressed. The roof detail on the kitchen cars was very well done but its hard to know where to start. As mentioned it was all in grey, really looking forward to a painted sample. Good progress has been made.

Just as an aside \I seem to remember that the BLUE Pullmans were reliveried into a grey Colour with yellow ends or is this a figment of my imagination!!!

BR decided Pullman stock should have the inverse of normal BR blue coach livery with blue window surrounds and grey bodies, looked pretty bad and the yellow ends and multiple working cables especially made the Pullman units look pretty awful at the end.

Chopping up two of these to make a WR one does give me a bit of trepidation, hopefully they'll sell enough for someone to commission that set eventually instead.. Its ironic the club layout is set pretty close to Manchester but its the WR Pullman we can only legitimately run on it!

Hi Steve & Craig,

Robert Carroll has some excellent shots of the later BP livery here.... http://www.flickr.co...157603648710190

Always liked the reverse corporate colours myself, I saw them rotting away at Old Oak before they went for scrap! Looking at the pre-production model on Saturday definitely got my juices flowing, Bachmann have captured it so well from what I could see. I might be wrong, but I think they're also releasing it in Nanking Blue with full yellow ends which will suit me fine for Western Region purposes, it'll just need the multi-working gear adding on the cab fronts.

When the Midland Region had done with them at the tail end of '66, the two six car sets were moved to the WR and put on a Bristol - Paddington working, they were split at Padd for two lunch time departures, one to Bristol and back, one to Oxford and back, they were then reformed into a 12 car set for the evening run back to Bristol. Which reminds me... I still haven't bought the BP Supplememnt book yet, another one I missed at Warley!

Steve,

It was Cheadle Heath. Did you ever take any photos? A photo of the ECS on the Fallowfield loop is one of those holy grail shots.

Simon

Yes realised later it was Cheadle Heath ( long gone now!!) I tried to edit last night but it was running too slow.

No photos I am afraid it was long before my box brownie days i am afraid,

I did see a derailed freight train on the Fallowfield loop, My Primary school lay along the FF loop on one side and the Man Crewe etc line crossed at 90' by the school field, exciting spotting days those were!!

Really trying so hard to resist this.

Its of no use to anything I am modelling, and if ever I was modelling somewhere I could justify a BP it would need to be the Western

but I just love the shape and livery.......

It's your layout - if you like it run it. Rule No 1, varied.

When the Midland Region had done with them at the tail end of '66, the two six car sets were moved to the WR and put on a Bristol - Paddington working, they were split at Padd for two lunch time departures, one to Bristol and back, one to Oxford and back, they were then reformed into a 12 car set for the evening run back to Bristol. Which reminds me... I still haven't bought the BP Supplememnt book yet, another one I missed at Warley!

Kind sir, I am currently planning a GWML model (hopefully to start a build trad in the new year) news an information like this is not appreciated as the wallet is not in a happy mood ATM. /I can't wait to legitimiately get my hands on one of these beauties!

• RMweb Gold

It's your layout - if you like it run it. Rule No 1, varied.

True, but there are so many locos that are 'needed' for the layout, not to mention P4 wheels etc to get them useable. I think if I can sell enough modern stock to cover the cost I will probably end up buying one...

Hi Steve & Craig,

Robert Carroll has some excellent shots of the later BP livery here.... http://www.flickr.co...157603648710190

Always liked the reverse corporate colours myself, I saw them rotting away at Old Oak before they went for scrap! Looking at the pre-production model on Saturday definitely got my juices flowing, Bachmann have captured it so well from what I could see. I might be wrong, but I think they're also releasing it in Nanking Blue with full yellow ends which will suit me fine for Western Region purposes, it'll just need the multi-working gear adding on the cab fronts.

There was a plan when the LM had finished with them that thet would go to the Eastern Region to work the Hull Pullman.

Some items, like shore supplies where installed at Hull Botanic Gardens for them. A couple of members of staff even had training on them, one of whom was going to be the Riding Inspector for them. When the depot was running being run down all the relevent manuals were discovered in the back of the drawing cupboard.

Al Taylor

I'm sure I've seen a piece of film of one of these units being tested on the ECML but I can't remember where the location was or the year, so even the livery I can't be certain of. Can anyone verify this bearing in mind the end result could be rather expensive for me (he said, hopefully)!

I'm sure I've seen a piece of film of one of these units being tested on the ECML but I can't remember where the location was or the year, so even the livery I can't be certain of. Can anyone verify this bearing in mind the end result could be rather expensive for me (he said, hopefully)!

I have an old magazine somewhere (possibly an A5 Modern Railways) which has a picture of BP crossing Digswell Viaduct at Welwyn. That's good enough reason for me to ran one.

When I saw the pictures of the Pullman in dark grey plastic, I wondered if it was a new Unit. It didn't occur to me it was the Blue Pullman until I read one of the threads. So what I'm saying is the styling is pretty damn good and stands comparison with todays efforts. Sadly the old fashioned blue will date it but I'll bet it would look good in some of todays liveries.

When I saw the pictures of the Pullman in dark grey plastic, I wondered if it was a new Unit. It didn't occur to me it was the Blue Pullman until I read one of the threads. So what I'm saying is the styling is pretty damn good and stands comparison with todays efforts. Sadly the old fashioned blue will date it but I'll bet it would look good in some of todays liveries.

Have to disagree with you there,it was the blue livery that made these trains so special,well for me anyway.

They were so different in appearance when introduced through style as well as colour, as they were amongst,if not, the first to carry such a striking livery.

I seem to remember the Glasgow 'Blue Electric'units being introduced at a similar time and these too captivated everyones excitement mainly due to their colour.

I'm sure I've seen a piece of film of one of these units being tested on the ECML but I can't remember where the location was or the year...

According to David Percival's book 'KX lineside 58-84': 16th October 1965, Leeds - KX - Leeds trial run Power cars were M60090/1, the North end free of any yellow panel, so still presumably in original Nanking blue. (Monochrome photo of the Midland special bogcart at KX.)

I have an old magazine somewhere (possibly an A5 Modern Railways) which has a picture of BP crossing Digswell Viaduct at Welwyn. That's good enough reason for me to ran one.

According to David Percival's book 'KX lineside 58-84': 16th October 1965,... (Monochrome photo of the Midland special bogcart at KX.)

As well as these, there is a Modern Railways pic of one at (IIRC) Little Bytham.

There was a plan when the LM had finished with them that thet would go to the Eastern Region to work the Hull Pullman.

Some items, like shore supplies where installed at Hull Botanic Gardens for them. A couple of members of staff even had training on them, one of whom was going to be the Riding Inspector for them. When the depot was running being run down all the relevent manuals were discovered in the back of the drawing cupboard.

I dont know if I've ever mentioned this to you Al, but the Railway Observer records a set arriving at Botanic, not doing much and standing around until a suitable driver came to take it away. When I was first spotting, there were apocryphal tales of the beast being seen there, but (as one does with these things), it was taken with a large pinch of salt. AFAIK the ER's decision was not to take the units on but to re-diagram the existing hauled Pullmans, resulting in the abandonment of the Quuen of Scots and the introduction of the Hull Pullman as a separate train.

Archived