Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

I have an old magazine somewhere (possibly an A5 Modern Railways) which has a picture of BP crossing Digswell Viaduct at Welwyn. That's good enough reason for me to ran one.

According to David Percival's book 'KX lineside 58-84': 16th October 1965, Leeds - KX - Leeds trial run Power cars were M60090/1, the North end free of any yellow panel, so still presumably in original Nanking blue. (Monochrome photo of the Midland special bogcart at KX.)

Oh dear, that's that then, looks like the wallet is in for yet another hammering next year. Thanks for that chaps, I know it's my railway and I can run what I like but it's always nice to be able to justify it. I can now sleep with a clear conscience.........probably!

• RMweb Gold

I (still) haven't the slightest interest in acquiring a Blue/Grey Pullman but I think those who are will be impressed by the body mouldings and overall finish (as seen so far without paint of course) as Bachmann seem to be making an excellent job with the train and have done very well capturing the shape of the front end. It looks as if it will turn out to be a good 'un if appearance alone is the marking point and no doubt performance will be receiving suitable attention.

You know you want to Mike... you... know... you... want... to... ;)

The more I look at the photos the more I like it.... despite a lot of us on here talking the subject into the ground for the last two or three years, and with all the other stuff going on in the hobby in recent months destracting us, it's kind of 'crept up' on us in a way. Full marks, gold star and a much deserved tick to Bachmann for getting it this far.... I think this could be another 'benchmark model' and look forward with some vigour to seeing the finished beastie.

Who'd have thought it just a few years ago...?

;)

• RMweb Gold

You know you want to Mike... you... know... you... want... to... ;)

The more I look at the photos the more I like it.... despite a lot of us on here talking the subject into the ground for the last two or three years, and with all the other stuff going on in the hobby in recent months destracting us, it's kind of 'crept up' on us in a way. Full marks, gold star and a much deserved tick to Bachmann for getting it this far.... I think this could be another 'benchmark model' and look forward with some vigour to seeing the finished beastie.

Who'd have thought it just a few years ago...?

;)

Oh no I don't! I liked the real thing but it has never interested me as a model - not even when Triang (or were they Triang-Hornby at that time) did one in my yoof. But despite 'no sale' for me I do hope it will be the commercial success it looks as if it deserves.

• RMweb Premium

Yes realised later it was Cheadle Heath ( long gone now!!) I tried to edit last night but it was running too slow.

No photos I am afraid it was long before my box brownie days i am afraid,

I did see a derailed freight train on the Fallowfield loop, My Primary school lay along the FF loop on one side and the Man Crewe etc line crossed at 90' by the school field, exciting spotting days those were!!

The BP was a bit before my time. By my spotting days trains on the loop were pretty much down to the Freightliners and the Glazebrook oil trains sadly.

AFAIK the ER's decision was not to take the units on but to re-diagram the existing hauled Pullmans, resulting in the abandonment of the Quuen of Scots and the introduction of the Hull Pullman as a separate train.

When the Queen of Scots was withdrawn in June 1964, one set of cars was used for the White Rose and some cars moved to the WR for use in the Blue Pullman stand-by set. The Hull Pullman did not commence running as a separate train until 1967.

I suspect that the ER's trial run of a Blue Pullman was a case of going through the motions of having trial with no serious intention of the ER ever using one. Their Met-Cam hauled cars gave a much better ride and the first class ones were refurbished soon afterwards, which also increased their seating capacity.

I'm sure I've seen a piece of film of one of these units being tested on the ECML but I can't remember where the location was or the year, so even the livery I can't be certain of. Can anyone verify this bearing in mind the end result could be rather expensive for me (he said, hopefully)!

the first production set ran a service from leeds to kings cross and back, a six car midland pullman, it had route directors, and VIPs on board with a view to selling the units to the eastern region. modern locomotives illustriated blue pullman issue, the kevin robertsons blue pullman book and suppliment all good reading for some unusual workings for these units.

• RMweb Gold

Even some signalman found the BP special, commenting on it in their signalbox register.

Extract from Spondon Junction register, July 1963.

Regards,

Peter

With a bell code like that (I read it as 4-4-6, a 'full' Royal was only 4-4-4!!) I'm not surprised that there was an entry in the Remarks column :O I would be surprised if the running of the train was not subject to various stricture about 'punctual running' and hence regarded as something which merited speciai attention and noting in the book.

I dare say a fair number of 8F hauled freights in it's path were refuged out of the way too!

Been having a closer look at some of the photos posted of the BP model so far..... the different bogie types and the detail therein looks exceptionally good, I think a bit of overtime is in order to pay for one of these six-car beauties :) .

To anyone who has it - does Kevin Robertson's 'BP Supplement' book have more photos of the six-car units in their Western Region guise please?

Cheers ;)

When the Queen of Scots was withdrawn in June 1964, one set of cars was used for the White Rose and some cars moved to the WR for use in the Blue Pullman stand-by set. The Hull Pullman did not commence running as a separate train until 1967.

Thanks Robert, I forgot the White Rose and missed out a stage there

I suspect that the ER's trial run of a Blue Pullman was a case of going through the motions of having trial with no serious intention of the ER ever using one.

I'd be inclined to agree with that, but the installation ofthe shore supply as mentioned earlier does suggest there were differences of view at play, or at least mixed messages.

I dare say a fair number of 8F hauled freights in it's path were refuged out of the way too!

Been having a closer look at some of the photos posted of the BP model so far..... the different bogie types and the detail therein looks exceptionally good, I think a bit of overtime is in order to pay for one of these six-car beauties :) .

To anyone who has it - does Kevin Robertson's 'BP Supplement' book have more photos of the six-car units in their Western Region guise please?

Cheers ;)

Nidge,

The BP Supplement is certainly worth getting and it does have some pictures of the 6-car sets in service on the WR.

Watch out for pp 79-80 though, as the photos have been printed in reverse.....

Still a key book to get though.

Regards,

Peter

The photos from Warley suggest that Bachmann have decided to use the connectors from the Windhoff MPV to provide electrical coupling throughout the Blue Pullman. In my experience these couplers are easier to mate/demate than the bar used on the CEP/EPB. That could well prove vital for a six car train that you have no hope of picking up and moving without separating the coaches. Does anyone have any experience with the reliability of the MPV couplings, whilst I wouldn't describe them as particularly fragile they don't come accross as being overly robust?

Thanks Robert, I forgot the White Rose and missed out a stage there

I'd be inclined to agree with that, but the installation ofthe shore supply as mentioned earlier does suggest there were differences of view at play, or at least mixed messages.

This was at a time when untried diesels were been ordered willy nilly in a desperate attempt to irraticate steam as fast as possiable, yet steam was still been built. Talk about one hand not knowing or caring what the other was doing!

I think that cover shot might be one of Michael Mensing's.... he was one of the few photographers living in Brum who bothered taking diesel shots in those days.

I can see in my mind's eye a shot of (almost certainly) his, of a maroon Western at Tyseley, in one of the first Trains annuals I had. He did a couple of features for Rail magazine at one time but otherwise, I dont think his stuff has has the recognition it warrants.

Going by all of the hydraulic material I've got, I'm pretty certain he took more photos of the Western's early days on the Brum route than anyone else.... good job too, as we'd be poorer without them when it comes to quaility images of their startling liveries in that period.

Apologies for digressing again...!

Still slightly digressing from BPs....

The mark of a great photographer is that one instantly recognises their style. Michael Mensing has that "something" which makes his pictures stand out and one instinctively knows that he took them.

I grew up with his colour shots in Locospotters' Annual. I've a feeling that he's still very much around.

Back to BPs, does anyone know if the half-sets of each unit got swapped around much? In particular the LMR 6-car units.

Regards,

Peter

I would love a BP, but it would only sit in a display cabinet as I haven't got room to run it. Does anybody know why it is DCC fitted, and will it be avalible without DCC. Does any body remember this?

My guess re the onboard decoder as standard, is that due to the complexity which will no doubt be found in the BP due to the various lights in the roof and individual table lights etc the manufacturer has probably reached the conclusion that the unit is probably best not dismantled to fit decoders!

I believe it is going to be DCC as standard, in any event the fact that there are decoders on board won't affect Analogue users, over many years of using Digital systems I am very aware of the improved performance a digital decoder gives to motive power on analogue systems. In fact I know a couple of Hornby Dublo enthusiasts who have fitted decoders to some of their Vintage HD locos to mprove their performance.

Thats beautiful, as long as the decoration is as good as the work so far it'll probably take the crown of best unit on the market! Hornby, this is the standard the Belle has to meet.

Just to check, and having looked at the dates, the Midland sets did run on the GWML in Nankin Blue without full yellow ends? My research suggests that they did manage to make it across without the awful yellow ends.

Archived