'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

Hi Guys,

As promised and as per David's request.

Here are the photos of Draycott and Marc's - superb - tin wonders.

Also my own - for point motors in the garden (with a concrete LMS version that took my fancy) - weathered accordingly, in acrylics and enamels, the tin version has had the roof parred down, but could do with a little more judging by Marc's version, I didnt go to town on these as they had to be robust enough for garden usage (one or two may well end up indoors now).

Here is my next one - SBLC Grain Store/Wholesalers Store - for Down Ampney.

I hope that helps and perhaps raises a smile or two - thanks for allowing me to Post them David.

Kindest,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the Post author/photographer 2010-2014 etc

post-11256-0-59578600-1394117840_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-20690600-1394117855_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-03852300-1394117873_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-58599800-1394117890_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-28391400-1394118071_thumb.jpg

Not much done today but the weather was just too good to be indoors!

The whole thing has now been trued up – having one wonky wall with a bow in it was quite fun but looked too weird in model form – and Skytrex's moulded resin representation of corrugated sheet has now disappeared beneath an overlay of Slaters plasticard. I tried embossing a representation of the sheets's fixings but my efforts didn't look particularly convincing so I decided to kick that idea into touch. The building is now square and the platform has been extended forward so it's overhang and that of the building is consistent all round. All together much more better (IMO :-)

post-2991-0-64340400-1394393428.jpg

post-2991-0-97103900-1394393439.jpg

Now... inspired by CME's photo of the 'van body' (bottom photo in the post above) has anyone got any suggestions for the type of van that might have ended up grounded and decrepit at the end of a bucolic North Eastern freight-only branch?

Bye for now...

David

The whole thing has now been trued up – having one wonky wall with a bow in it was quite fun but looked too weird in model form – and Skytrex's moulded resin representation of corrugated sheet has now disappeared beneath an overlay of Slaters plasticard. I tried embossing a representation of the sheets's fixings but my efforts didn't look particularly convincing so I decided to kick that idea into touch. The building is now square and the platform has been extended forward so it's overhang and that of the building is consistent all round. All together much more better (IMO :-)

attachicon.gifskytrex-small-corrugated-goods-shed-5.jpg

attachicon.gifskytrex-small-corrugated-goods-shed-6.jpg

Now... inspired by CME's photo of the 'van body' (bottom photo in the post above) has anyone got any suggestions for the type of van that might have ended up grounded and decrepit at the end of a bucolic North Eastern freight-only branch?

Bye for now...

David

Hi David,

Nice work on the GS - shame that it's taken so much work.

As mentioned in my Down Ampney Thread, I dont think that the origin of grounded van bodies matters as some would have made their last trip (marked as COND. or similar) or may have failed (perhaps ceased axle boxes) unexpectedly and it wouldnt have been cost effective to return the vehicle for repairs (I expect that there would have been some form of communications and/or sign off to that effect between companies/regions before such was scraped though).

I am quite prepared to be corrected on all of the above though, from one who knows better.

I hope that all helps - Parkside do a grounded body kit (I covered one in individual corrugated tin sheets), or any old van body would do.

BTW the resin van that I am doing was based on a prototype in a field in Devon....

Kindest,

CME

Bye for now...

David

Invertrain Model Railways do a grounded Great North of Scotland Van body in resin. Derived from my GNoS van kit.

Phil T.

Port Wynnstay Models

David,

You would have been much better off scratch-building the shed.

With careful masking and painting, you should be able to simulate the individual CGI panels. Have a look at this video on Youtube. The only comment I would add is don't waste money on the Humbrol washes. Regular enamel paint extensively thinned will do the job just as well.

Regards,

Chris

David,

You would have been much better off scratch-building the shed.

With careful masking and painting, you should be able to simulate the individual CGI panels. Have a look at this video on Youtube. The only comment I would add is don't waste money on the Humbrol washes. Regular enamel paint extensively thinned will do the job just as well.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have seen that little tutorial vid before - the Humbrol YOU TUBE stuff is very good!

By and large, I agree, I always mix my own washes (in the past enamels, yet not so much now - as I am now going over the acrylics) yet some of the Lifecolor and Humbrol pre-mixed products do offer a level of consistancy and are thus a 'known' when dry and often take the guess work out of the process/helpful if one needs to work fast/get the job done.

Kindest,

CME

attachicon.gifskytrex-small-corrugated-goods-shed-5.jpg

attachicon.gifskytrex-small-corrugated-goods-shed-6.jpg

Bye for now...

David

Hi David,

I wrote this on my Thread;

As a quick thought....

David, the Grain-store van body could well be - upon closer inspection - one of the 12T BR Van's (circa 1949) built based on the GWR's design, in ply.

This makes it a more modern van than could have been on Down Ampney, yet, not to worry, as it could easliy have been involved in a rough shunting accident/derailment and beyond economical repair and thus used as a grounded body.....

I hope that helps.

Kindest,

CME

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

CME

David, the Grain-store van body could well be - upon closer inspection - one of the 12T BR Van's (circa 1949) built based on the GWR's design, in ply. This makes it a more modern van than could have been on Down Ampney, yet, not to worry, as it could easliy have been involved in a rough shunting accident/derailment and beyond economical repair and thus used as a grounded body..... I hope that helps.

As a certain supermarket is wont to say CME, 'every little helps', thanks for that :-)

I have however just spotted a Parkside kit of a wonderfully venerable LNER (ex NBR) 8 Ton Goods Van conveniently moulded in plastic, the prototype for which which they say would have been built somewhere between 1893 to 1903. Just the sort of vintage item of freight stock I'd visualised as ending up grounded for use as a store/bothy.

I think I'll drop them an email asking them if they wouldn't mind selling one ex-wheels and transfers?

David

Shortly after writing the above post I winged an email off to Parkside and received a reply a few of hours later offering to supply me with the van body mouldings at what can only be described as a very favourable price. Replied this morning saying 'thank you', 'yes please' and that my preference was for online payment and received a PayPal invoice by return email.

Net result... I've got my grounded van body sorted courtesy of great customer service from Andrew Hastie at Parkside Dundas; thank you Andrew! :-)

D

Well... I've started painting and weathering the goods shed. Nothing fancy, just some cheap aerosol satin black as a base coat plus some very thin washes of (so far) sleeper grime.

post-2991-0-79621900-1394993630.jpg

There's definitely more to do (I know I've got some gunmetal somewhere) and the platform needs to look more 'woody'... but that's for another day.

David

As a certain supermarket is wont to say CME, 'every little helps', thanks for that :-)

I have however just spotted a Parkside kit of a wonderfully venerable LNER (ex NBR) 8 Ton Goods Van conveniently moulded in plastic, the prototype for which which they say would have been built somewhere between 1893 to 1903. Just the sort of vintage item of freight stock I'd visualised as ending up grounded for use as a store/bothy.

I think I'll drop them an email asking them if they wouldn't mind selling one ex-wheels and transfers?

David

Hi David,

You are welcome and you just beat me to a similar link - as I was pndering such for you yesterday.

ATVB

CME

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello David, wow I have had a great gander through this thread today, I discovered it whilst Googling reference material & information for building my Easybuild 121 kits, obviously the thread has slipped down a few pages on the index, sorry to hear you had to sell the model, but thank you very much for putting such an informative build description on here, including the frustrations and pitfalls, your information is invaluable.

I am now another follower, best of luck with your layout

Craig.

Archived