Special Trains on the Waverley Route

'CHARD

As promised, 60836 on 3rd September 1966 crosses Riccarton Culvert and heads north towards Riccarton Junction with the Granite City Railtour.

post-7852-0-61037400-1325934701.jpg

Copyright holder unknown - if anyone knows whose it is or if it is yours please drop me a line.

• Like 2

As promised, 60836 on 3rd September 1966 crosses Riccarton Culvert and heads north towards Riccarton Junction with the Granite City Railtour.

Copyright holder unknown - if anyone knows whose it is or if it is yours please drop me a line.

This is very similar to plate 60 in the late Roger Siviter's 'Waverley' album, which was taken by David Gouldthorp. I'm fairly sure he was a member of the MNA so the photographer in this case is likely to be one of that group as well.

• Like 1

This is very similar to plate 60 in the late Roger Siviter's 'Waverley' album, which was taken by David Gouldthorp. I'm fairly sure he was a member of the MNA so the photographer in this case is likely to be one of that group as well.

I recall seeing either a photo or cine footage from that train and the crowd of photographers there was like looking at Scout Green or Beattock nowadays when there's a steam railtour out & about.

Edited by 37175

• 4 weeks later...

It's this link again: http://www.itsa40.co.uk/65feb.html

On 6th February 1965 I imagine the weather up at Shankendshiel could have been reminiscent of last night. So is it any wonder that Ruggexes bound for Murrayfield were being shoved-uphill by D367, commandeered off the 0520 KM - DE freight at The Holm for the purpose of being Whitrope banker for a day. What was on top of these rugby extras? Struggling Brits Lord Hurcomb and Robin Hood. Check out the log, it's incredible.

EDIT: note, the log author doesn't appear to be familiar with the gradient profile of the line, as they impute banking assistance on the downhill stretch into Teri!

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

What was on top of these rugby extras? Struggling Brits Lord Hurcomb and Robin Hood. Check out the log, it's incredible.

EDIT: note, the log author doesn't appear to be familiar with the gradient profile of the line, as they impute banking assistance on the downhill stretch into Teri!

'Chard, with the state of some of Kingmoor's Brits by that time, it might have happened! :D :D

• Like 2

'Chard, with the state of some of Kingmoor's Brits by that time, it might have happened! :D :D

You know what, I reflected on that after making the edit, and perhaps they did get a shove into Hawick. Although how the unloved old girls managed Fala after that remains a source of conjecture. Fascinating to think that an EE sixteen-wheeler sat at Whitrope box (as we're led to believe) between performing this function.

Edited by 'CHARD

• 2 weeks later...

There don't appear to be many photos of the tour rake unfortunately. I've got a photo of 60836 heading over Riccarton Culvert on the approach to the junction, somewhere - it was on the WRHA web server but I seem to have misplaced it! (will keep looking).

In the meantime here's one which doesn't give much away re stock utilised, the following day (4/9/66) as 60024 Kingfisher took the first return leg south from Aberdeen to Edinburgh Waverley.

http://www.penmorfa....verkeithing.jpg

Tour details at: http://www.sixbellsj...s/660903_1.html

Hi Matt,

I have a photo I obtained with copyright of V2 60836 Nr Millerhill i will scan it and link it here.

Regards David

Edited by dwb.photos

As promised also, here is the same train in colour but photo not that sharp approachig Millerhill on the 3rd September 1966. A mix of stock incliuding 2 Mark2s in the then fairly new Blue/White livery.

British Railways Class V2 60836 - Nr Millerhill

Regards David

• Like 1

Excellent David - that's a new location for us too. The stone wall along the curtilage of the trees marks this out as being Sheriffhall, approaching the point where the Edinburgh City By-pass now cuts through the formation on the level.

Edited by 'CHARD

Hi Matt,

Regarding this Photo of V2 60836 approaching Riccarton Junction, a very similar photo possibly taken approx same time is shown in the Book 'Waverley' Portait of a Famous Route by Roger Sivitar and the book photo is credited to David E Gouldthorpe.

Regards David

Bill said something similar further up the page and I'm inclined to agree. Having seen images of the crowd on the embankment however, I'm still not sure who took it. The photo itself was printed from a negative and was bought many moons ago before scanners, photo printers etc were commonplace, so the only real piece of the jigsaw missing is the name of the gentleman photographer.

A classic - what other line could it be! - http://www.flickr.co...57628297104467/ - anyone want to guess the bridge number?

Bridge 92 just south Torwoodlee Tunnel south of the south portal.

roygraham

Roy,

That is surely the accommodation bridge at the south end of Bowshank Tunnel (leading to the farm of the same name).

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, what future Special Trains on the Borders Railway? This clip from The Scotsman makes thought-provoking (and puzzling) reading:

http://www.scotsman....ilway-1-2162520#

Oh very amusing.

If only life were that simple.

Want to run an 11 coach train?

Just build a longer platform.

I would love to see Tornado or Britannia on the line, but I fear that the annual income for a good many years would be eaten up in providing the required infrastructure.

Bernard

• 3 months later...

Here's ScR GT6 about to leave Gala on 04/01/69, the last Saturday of regular passenger services, taken from the train. Had the track at the other face of the island platform being removed at this stage, following the demise of the Peebles Loop and closure of depot, general rationalisation in '66-67 etc...

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=39377

Here's ScR GT6 about to leave Gala on 04/01/69, the last Saturday of regular passenger services, taken from the train. Had the track at the other face of the island platform being removed at this stage, following the demise of the Peebles Loop and closure of depot, general rationalisation in '66-67 etc...

http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=39377

Yes. The loop was away by 1964.

Bruce

• Like 1

EDIT2: Judging by the various resources on line, and backing up a hunch of mine, this is one of the few parts where the A7 was improved following the line's closure. It's evident from the aerial shots that there's an oxbow cut off by the raised and more gently curved A7, the original alignment passed very close to the tunnel, presumably skirting the same promontory that the line burrows beneath. This is a must-see for me now.

I popped there a few months ago (and found a nice telegraph pot!)

You can pull in & park at the north end of the "oxbow", by the chevrons, then walk down the old bit of the A7. Looks like someone's been fly-tipping down the old road a wee bit, and watch out for the doggy-do as it seems it's an area for dog walkers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...