Morfa - Hwyl fawr

Neil

• RMweb Premium

A mournful hoot echoing down the Mawddach signalled the approach of the MV Ferret, a battered, sludge stained rusty hulk of a dredger; the arrival of which I’d been warned about by telephone some weeks previously. Could I meet two of the crew, had come the request, as they would need someone local to show them round. The only other piece of information volunteered was that they had an interest in railways. Once the Ferret was securely tied up to the harbour wall two figures ambled down its gangplank.

“Able seaman Madox” said the taller of the two, his right hand springing to a vigorous salute.

Deckhand actually, silently mouthed his older companion introducing himself with a firm handshake as John, the bosun of the vessel.

Before I had a chance to progress the conversation a two-tone air horn trumpeting and the snarl of revving diesel erupted overhead. Madox whipped round and uttered “Park Royal” before diving into his kit bag in search of something. As he rummaged the train crept ever further away till, with a further blast of the horn, it entered the short tunnel as Madox simultaneously straightened up, movie camera in hand.

“Bother” he said.
“Cup of tea?” I suggested.
“Actually could we go and look at the trains first, then take tea?”
Bosun John nodded an agreement, partly I suspected out of his own interest and partly as one resigned to the enthusiasms of his colleague.

It was decided to walk across the bridge linking both sides of the estuary, the open terrain of the far bank making for better photography. Madox bounced on ahead pointing excitedly at various bits of track. The bosun took the opportunity to confide in me; “he’s a fantasist you know”, John’s eyes briefly rolling skywards. “He pretends he’s a eighteenth century naval captain doing battle with the French, he’s even invented his own country. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they didn’t pay people in pasties”.

Madox seemed oblivious to our conversation, concentrating as he was on the nearing vista of scrubby grass, abandoned sidings and the remaining set of rails heading off in a swooping arc towards the overgrown platform. “Here looks good,” he said placing his kit bag at the side of the line, previously unnoticed steel in the eyes dissuading dissent.

Later as we sat in the warmth of my kitchen drinking tea, Madox handed me the reel of exposed super eight film he’d shot that afternoon saying “I think you’ll like this.”

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, that's a good long train :) Certainly more than could be run on Shell island! :D That really is very convincing, no 2 wagons alike. I hope we get to see some more progress Neil....

There's about 90% of my finished freight stock in that train Rich; though it's impressive, in a big train way, the layout really suits more modest formations better.

What gauge is the layout?

It's EM.

Fantastic...it even sounds great rumbling past... :yes:

Who needs sound chips.

I should thank Captain Kernow and Re6/6 for their company, enthusiasm and the excellent videos, better by far than my own efforts

A mournful hoot echoing down the Mawddach signalled the approach of the MV Ferret....

....Later as we sat in the warmth of my kitchen drinking tea, Madox handed me the reel of exposed super eight film he’d shot that afternoon saying “I think you’ll like this.”

Yes I do - I liked it here and I liked it there!

Thank you, Graham

• RMweb Premium

A steam train....! :O :locomotive:

Yes, John just happened to have brought a lovely EM pannier tank with him and who could resist the chance of giving it a run out. Though Morfa is a diesel era layout, I have a soft spot for many steam engines and my pipe dream loco allocation would include an FR 2-2-2 well tank, an 8F and an Ouest bicyclette. John's pannier isn't the first steamer to have an airing on Morfa, both of my steam trams belonging to the dubious and fictional Isle of Avalon Tramway have taken a turn around the line.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

More progress has been made on Morfa. I have a kit of parts ready to replace the temporary bridge over the Mawddach, which I plan to install once my near neighbour from a mile or so down the valley has had a chance to see trains lapping the circuit, as the engineering possession could last a week or more. Less critically I've finished off the fascia which has tidied up the layout no end and made a start on addressing the backscene which had a most unsatisfactory shade of blue roughly applied some years ago.

Here's a current photo.

post-6793-0-80039700-1331199995.jpg

More on how I got there on my blog here.

Hi Mate

Love the YouTube snipets...

Good start to your layout to....

What size is the whole thing...?

Do you have a Layout track Plan for us RM'ers to see...?

Much More Please... Great Stuff

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Good morning chaps and thank you for the kind comments. Morfa has been on the go for some time, there was (I think) a plan on the earlier incarnation of RMweb (looks to be down at the moment) if it doesn't reappear I'll dig around for one. The first phase of the layout is about 18'x12', it will grow to about 20'x20' and has all of three points on the scenic section. Here's a photo of the station at Morfa.

post-6793-0-34776100-1331886740.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, much appreciated.

.... One question - the track supports, are they screwed in ....

Yes they are screwed and glued to the chipboard lower board surface the track bed itself being glued and pinned into the 2"x1" softwood supports.

Archived