5 Inch Gauge Manor Overhaul

Mike, Thanks for the nice comments, I cannot make those dates but thanks anyway hope you have a good weekend,Glad john is getting gallopping gertie out (long time since that has run) thats gonna feel small to him,I should get that drg info to you later today,And Mark yes love the idea off GWR coachs but there aint enough time in the day,And she keeps asking when am i going to start the bathroom, Garry

Hi Garry

The time is in the design work, particularly the end profile! Then again once i get the designs for one sorted its not a huge leap to sort out several coaches! I'm also working on a design for some scale GW bogies as a kit, so give it a few years maybe... Build a set of toplights :) ;)

Mark

• 2 months later...

Managed to pick this up again after a busy few months with various different things, the frames have been stripped to bare metal courtesy of some boiling caustic soda, same method was employed with the big stuff back in the day, huge vats of the stuff would have various loco parts lowered in for cleaning.

post-7911-0-49300600-1347196961_thumb.jpg

Swimming lessons, not that you would want to go swimming in this......!

post-7911-0-61088700-1347197155_thumb.jpg

The end result, hours and hours of tedious, boring work with nitromorse and the like saved.

post-7911-0-64760800-1347197249_thumb.jpg

All the horns are now milled out to the same size and parallel to the frames, it would appear that originally this wasn't quite spot on so having now milled through so all is square the coupling rods are scrap, another job!

To follow next will be new axleboxes, driving wheels, bogie wheels, axles and crankpins plus the aforementioned new coupling rods before painting frames, re-wheeling and then cracking on with overhaul of the valve gear, all good fun :)

Nice to see your back on it Mike,Keep those pics comming, If your remaking your coupling rods and do not want to make em from scratch, model engineers laser do some as a good starting point.Dont do them to martin evans as i did as they are wrong,I expect your have a drg from DINMORE . If you have not Ive got a drg of manor rods. Garry

Hi Dinmore,

I don't know about my thread being Little Didcot - your pictures are more than reminiscent of my weekend haunt! Lovely to see traditional methods like the 'bosch pit' being employed too! Everything is being scaled down here...

Best of luck with the overhaul and I hope that she doesn't have too many hidden surprises for you down the road - its always the danger when taking a steam machine apart isn't it?

All the best,

Castle

All the horns are now milled out to the same size and parallel to the frames, it would appear that originally this wasn't quite spot on so having now milled through so all is square the coupling rods are scrap, another job!

To follow next will be new axleboxes, driving wheels, bogie wheels, axles and crankpins plus the aforementioned new coupling rods before painting frames, re-wheeling and then cracking on with overhaul of the valve gear, all good fun :)

Why are the coupling rods scrap? Just drill out for larger bushings, and then drill those bushings with the right centers. When you look closely, they'll look like eccentrics, but they'll actually be fixed in the rods.

I know a builder who made his first set of rods like that, as the axleboxes weren't quite square to each other. He made the rods the "right" centers, and then the bushings on one side were a few thou "off" to compensate for the axleboxes....

Might be better described with a picture...

post-7591-0-89273200-1347556772.jpg

where black is the rod, green is the OD of the bushing, and red is the hole reamed/bored for the crankpin.

And new driving wheels and bogie wheels? Why not just machine the tread/flanges off the existing wheels and make tires to fit? It'll save you having to get new castings, and it'll be "prototype" if you cool the centers and heat the tires to install! (IIRC, you only need .001" or .002" per inch of driver diameter difference between the centers and the tires to have a sufficientlly tight press fit)

Garry, thanks for the comments, yeah, I have the Swindon drawing for the rods so shall use that as the basis, thanks for the offer though :)

Hi Mike, the difference in the coupling rods one side is immense, now that everything is nice and square it renders them well beyond the fitment of an 'eccentric' type of bearing, you may do that if a few thou out but we are talking more like 3/32 which is obviously massive in 5" gauge terms, how the wheels ever went round is anybody's guess, it should all be as good as new once complete, I was machining up a nice block of meehanite cast iron last night for the new axle boxes, all a lovely fit in the horns now :)

The wheel sets are being changed for aesthetic reasons, the bogie wheels were Reeves ones which have a very curved and odd looking pattern of spokes, the driving wheels from the same supplier, they have round bosses for the crank pin and wheel centre which looks most odd, plus the gap between the two spokes either side of the crank pin should be solid and not with a spoke in line with the crank pin, should look much better :)

Regards,

Mike

Garry, thanks for the comments, yeah, I have the Swindon drawing for the rods so shall use that as the basis, thanks for the offer though :)

Hi Mike, the difference in the coupling rods one side is immense, now that everything is nice and square it renders them well beyond the fitment of an 'eccentric' type of bearing, you may do that if a few thou out but we are talking more like 3/32 which is obviously massive in 5" gauge terms, how the wheels ever went round is anybody's guess, it should all be as good as new once complete, I was machining up a nice block of meehanite cast iron last night for the new axle boxes, all a lovely fit in the horns now :)

The wheel sets are being changed for aesthetic reasons, the bogie wheels were Reeves ones which have a very curved and odd looking pattern of spokes, the driving wheels from the same supplier, they have round bosses for the crank pin and wheel centre which looks most odd, plus the gap between the two spokes either side of the crank pin should be solid and not with a spoke in line with the crank pin, should look much better :)

Regards,

Mike

Good Lord, 3/32 off? Woodworking usually has tighter tolerances than that, nevermind live steam! With it that far off, I'm amazed you can fix it by milling new hornblocks instead of building new frames! I agree, how the wheels ever went around is anyone's guess...

Where are you getting the new wheel castings from? Your own patterns, or another commercial supplier?

Yep, indeed, 3/32 off....!! Very little of the error was in the frames/horns it seems, I can only assume, though not checked it yet, that the one trailing wheel is out of quarter, shall find that out when I get round to quartering the new wheelsets and have the jig set up. The new wheels are GLR items intended for the 43XX, the bogie wheel castings from Polly/Practical Scale, I made a start on turning those up the other afternoon. The picture below gives an idea of the difference, that is with both sets of rods lined up on top of each other showing the difference in length of the R/H trailing rod to the L/H one.

post-7911-0-48527800-1348094259_thumb.jpg

Long way to go on this one, not going to be able to do anything to it for a week or so now, away to the Severn Valley autumn gala for the next 4 days, then next week do a few little jobs to the 32 before taking her for a last outing. Up and running for next April might be possible, depends how much enthusiasm I can muster on cold winter nights to get in the workshop and if I can get a few customer jobs out of the way too.

Mike

Yep, indeed, 3/32 off....!! Very little of the error was in the frames/horns it seems, I can only assume, though not checked it yet, that the one trailing wheel is out of quarter, shall find that out when I get round to quartering the new wheelsets and have the jig set up. The new wheels are GLR items intended for the 43XX, the bogie wheel castings from Polly/Practical Scale, I made a start on turning those up the other afternoon. The picture below gives an idea of the difference, that is with both sets of rods lined up on top of each other showing the difference in length of the R/H trailing rod to the L/H one.

Long way to go on this one, not going to be able to do anything to it for a week or so now, away to the Severn Valley autumn gala for the next 4 days, then next week do a few little jobs to the 32 before taking her for a last outing. Up and running for next April might be possible, depends how much enthusiasm I can muster on cold winter nights to get in the workshop and if I can get a few customer jobs out of the way too.

Mike

:O

Good Lord. At this point, I want to see evidence that it ever ran around the track... :D

post-7911-0-48527800-1348094259_thumb.jpg

Mike

The more I think about it, the more I think the problem would have to be in the axlebox. If the frames/hornblocks weren't out, and it went around the track, then the only place that error could have been introduced, and still have the loco run, is if it were in the axlebox. That way, the distance between the two crankpins (on that wheel and the one immediately in front of it on the same side) would be constant, regardless of where in the rotation the crankpin was. If it were an out of quarter problem, the error would be variable and would manifest itself as a bind...

I know you've said you're making new axleboxes, so its moot...

• 1 month later...

Pitiful progress with this of late, however, one piece of the jigsaw is complete. The bogie now has new wheels, axles and axlebox mods to suit along with some repairs to derailment damage within the frame and a fresh coat of paint, just need an engine for it to go under.

post-7911-0-24830100-1352757856_thumb.jpg

New wheels largely machined awaiting cleaning up of the spokes etc.

post-7911-0-54020200-1352757955_thumb.jpg

Assembled finished bogie awaiting something that goes 'chuff' to appear on top of it, could be a while!

Had a run out with the Collet the other weekend, still going well, now that the running season is as good as over though I should find more time to shut myself away in the workshop and crack on with all things Manor related, that is the plan anyway....

post-7911-0-14802100-1352758264_thumb.jpg

Firemans view whilst waiting for a pannier to arrive from the opposite direction on a wonderful and extensive private railway.

post-7911-0-26993200-1352758515_thumb.jpg

Cheers Jeff, you sit on the wagon behind the tender and put your feet on the bar that passes through tender and then drive and fire on the move as per a full size engine. The railway has two signal boxes controlling the extensive set up that features 3 yards, triangle junction, passing loops and a branch line that operates on a one engine in steam basis for which a token is required, great fun :)

Thanks Mike, of course the wheels are their Grange ect, I was thinking about all their locos except that, Yea mine are reeves they are not nice by todays standard ive got polly main driving and coupliing there wheels look superb nic slender spokes, so after seeing yours im going to replace the bogie, keep the pics coming nice work. Garry

• 9 months later...

Finally managed to get a bit of time back on this, customer work and a workshop extension to more than double original size has been stopping me from doing much for some time...! However, the new needle roller axleboxes have been finished and she now sits on all her new wheels for the first time, a set of new scale buffers with chemically blackened heads have also been fitted. Next will be completion of the re-pinning/bushing of the valve gear, painting of the bottom end before re-fitting wheels and making a set of new coupling rods, something like that anyway...!

post-7911-0-22403800-1378024088_thumb.jpg

post-7911-0-14793100-1378024133_thumb.jpg

post-7911-0-00556800-1378024157_thumb.jpg

post-7911-0-45652400-1378024186_thumb.jpg

Archived