Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

• RMweb Gold

Just received my January Model Rail and in it is news that Kernow Model Rail Centre have comissioned Dapol to produce ex LSWR push pull gate stock.

They will be produced in packs containing a Driving Brake Composite and a Third.

4 packs will be available in lined Maunsell green, unlined Malachite, BR Crimson and BR southern Green.

RRP is £99 with delivery expected late 2012/early 2013.

Excellent news :)

The information has leaked out earlier than planned (it should have been at the end of this week) with it appearing in the subs copy hitting the doormat from today.

Unfortunately Chris Trerise is away from the business and is not in a position to give an update today.

I've just spoken to the shop who are already receiving calls from customers wanting to order. The shop is not in a position to take orders yet, pricing and ordering details may appear in their newsletter at the end of this week.

Can I please ask any readers not to contact the shop about this until it has been officially announced on their website and newsletter. After all they're already busy sending other orders out!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

I, having been involved with this project, will be in a position to post the full press release later in the week to coincide with the Kernow Newsletter and the ordering process being up and running.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's always regrettable when things like this leak earlier than the planned date as I'm sure some of the impact of a proper launch is lost (especially, as in this case, when some of us have already known about it for some months and have respected confidences). But alas I think this sort of thing is unavoidable when it is contained in magazines where subscription copies are in circulation before press date and that is at least better than leaking in other ways such as 'I know what XYZ are releasing on the last Tuesday before Christmas' etc.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry guys, didn't mean to tread on anyones toes :blush:

I assumed (and we all know what assumption is) that once it was in the printed press it was considered public knowledge.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

With permisison of Chris Trerise at Kernow Model Centre I am happy to post the following full announcement. Chris has also advised me to ask for those interested to pre-order via the website rather then directly with the shop at this moment in time.

We are pleased to announce that we have commissioned Dapol to produce the much-requested LSWR Push-Pull Gate Set in OO Gauge. This will be produced from tools owned by Kernow Model Rail Centre and will be to the same high standard as the Beattie Well Tank and forthcoming Adams O2 Models. We will be working closely with Graham Muspratt and Mike King to ensure the models are as accurate as possible.

post-243-0-52748400-1322484735.jpg

post-243-0-23870600-1322484737.jpg

k1001 Set number 363 in SR Lined Maunsell Green livery

K1002 Set number 373 in SR unlined Malachite Green livery

K1003 Set number 374 in BR Crimson livery

K1004 Set number 373 in BR (SR) Green livery

Each twin pack will contain the Driving Brake Composite and Third coach and will be priced at £99.99 including postage to UK addresses.

Delivery is expected late 2012 to early 2013.

Note: Post updated 29th Nov to reflect the correction to the item K1001 which will now be Set 363 to reflect the reforming of Set 372 to set 363 in 1933.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I hope that these sell well for Kernow. If they do I would love to see them shrink to N. They would go rather nicely behind the M7.

Nice photos of the Turnchaple Station.

Don't worry Taz - no one is accusing you of any wrongdoing!

These fit nicely into my criteria of 'All things Southern' and/or 'Possible on a preserved GWR BLT in Devon' (just about). This is indeed good news!

I will be interested to see how they compare to Hornby's Maunsells, particularly when it comes to livery application.

I understand that the Bluebell tried to save set 373 but they were accidentally disposed of at a stopping point en-route. Full story here for those interested:

http://www.bluebellrailway.co.uk/bluebell/history/earlydays5.html

They will make delightfull models with bags of character. Derek Lawrence and I produced quite a number of these from etched brass kits in the 1980s (Jidenco's?) and it was from that standpoint that I talked a more recent etched brass coach manufacturer out of doing them! Not easy to built and definitely not a bundle of joy to mask up and line out in LSWR and early SR liveries, so a plastic RTR pair will remove much of the pain.........!

• Like 1

This announcement is commonly know as "giving the people what they want". There has been a requirement for a nice push pull set ever since the SR invasion started, especially with models like the M7 needing something prototypical to pull. Personally I'd of liked a Maunsell set, but the LSWR one is just as usefull and should make for one hell of a model if Dapol / Kernow do their homework.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

WOW.... Now, how about somebody kindly reprinting "LSWR Coaches in the 20th Century" at a sensible price....

For us iggerant peasants, I consider that Mike King's "Southern Pull-Push Stock" actually provides plenty of detail and decent drawings. Not, mind you, that I will be indulging in the "gift horse in the mouth" sort of public scrutiny that seems to accompany every new release. Just a sense of disbelief....

A day to rejoice, whatever - and as for Mr Dapol saying I ain't seen nothin' yet, well at 63 there's a statistical risk I might not be around for some of it!

• Like 1