Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

I am truly delighted, though sorry that the news leaked out early. I will be after one of the Maunsell lined sets and I think it will look fantastic behind the 02 when it comes out as well as the M7.

Well done Kernow. I am so pleased that they have commissioned this and believe that Kernow are demonstrating the future of this hobby. If they produce this to the same quality as the BWT, I reckon they will be on to a winner and I hope they have many more years of commissioning Southern models.

An RTR LSWR push pull set! Wow...

• RMweb Premium

Wondered when Kernow would bring out appropriate matching stock, good move choosing the 56' version.

At least they'll have the underframe as a basis to modelling the side-corridor and non-corridor versions as preserved on the Bluebell and KESR in the future, but that's thinking ahead ...

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news from Kernow and an inspired choice. Just a note on the Model Rail so called 'leak' Surely Kernow should have taken into account the fact that subs issues go out early, so they should have announced them last Friday to be first with the news. Anyway that aside the sets will be a superb rake with an O2 or a BWT.

Though the Maunsell set might sound a more popular proposition, the gated stock had a much longer service life and were widely dispered- a very wise choice.

IIRC, the Jidenco kits had issues with the panelling not registering correctly and a set made for the late Peter George on the South Hants Lee-on-Solent layout was a horror. Larry, you have my sympathy.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news from Kernow and an inspired choice. Just a note on the Model Rail so called 'leak' Surely Kernow should have taken into account the fact that subs issues go out early, so they should have announced them last Friday to be first with the news. Anyway that aside the sets will be a superb rake with an O2 or a BWT.

Well, it just proves once more that the 'big bang' approach to announcements seldom works in the 21st Century.

Anyway, an excellent choice of prototype from my point of view, nice one Kernow. :-))

Edited by spamcan61

Looks like something I'm going to be buying in the future. Hopefully The Yeovil set will be included at some point in the distance future.

Andi,

Just checked, 373 is the Yeovil set, therefore if they are producing the set in the photos, we are quids in.

:sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, it just proves once more that the 'big bang' approach to announcements seldom works in the 21st Century.

Anyway, an excellent choice of prototype from my point of view, nice one Kernow. :-))

Or Model Rail should have deferred it to next month. Presumably they knew the embargo date and everyone knows subscription copies land before the official on sale date.

But regardless, well done Kernow!

Edited by Legend

Though the Maunsell set might sound a more popular proposition, the gated stock had a much longer service life and were widely dispered- a very wise choice.

Fair point. Just that I always associate the Maunsell sets with the Swanage and Lymington branches which are pretty iconic locations.

With permisison of Chris Trerise at Kernow Model Centre I am happy to post the following full announcement. Chris has also advised me to ask for those interested to pre-order via the website rather then directly with the shop at this moment in time.

We are pleased to announce that we have commissioned Dapol to produce the much-requested LSWR Push-Pull Gate Set in OO Gauge. This will be produced from tools owned by Kernow Model Rail Centre and will be to the same high standard as the Beattie Well Tank and forthcoming Adams O2 Models. We will be working closely with Graham Muspratt and Mike King to ensure the models are as accurate as possible.

post-243-0-52748400-1322484735.jpg

post-243-0-23870600-1322484737.jpg

For those interested I believe I can date these pix. 2nd May 1959, RCTS Special run for the Royal Albert Bridge Centenary celebrations, at Turnchapel station. Source - Kingdom, A. R.(1982) The Turnchapel Branch including the Cattewater goods branch. Oxford: Oxford Publishing. Page 62.

Now Turnchapel would make a nice model - you have the swing bridge over Hooe Lake, industrial, oil, Admiralty sidings - Hmmmmmm.

Incidentally it's 71 years to the day that the oil tanks at the wharf were bombed.

Edited by Coombe Barton

The Maunsell sets only lasted from 1959 until about 1962/3 (and odd vehicles for a little longer) and only carried one livery, so perhaps are a less appealing choice for a manufacturer. They are very iconic though, I suspect largely because they appear in so many photos of doomed branchlines.

The Gate stock is very good news - although they operated a little far to the west for my modelling interests, they've been on my "nice to have" list for years!

I wonder how Dapol will cover the various panelling permutations - photos show these coaches ended up with most of the panelling replaced by steel sheeting. If they are due in 12-18 months I may even have got round to building the Craftsman T1 in my to do pile so I'll have a suitable loco.

• RMweb Premium

Whoop whoop!

(In my ongoing education by my office junior of the language of today's young folk, I am led to believe that this is an appropriate, all be it minimalist, statement for a very exciting event....)

Edited by 2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

I have to say this is one of those projects I have been aware of for some little while and have respected friendships and confidences pending the official announcement. Following the O2 it makes sound commercial sense to release something for it to haul and something which has been probably as much requested as the O2 and the BWT. About the only thing which would surprise me from Kernow now is if they failed to announce something of significant interest at least once a year.

I can't speak for the business but Kernow staff would have been rushed off their little Cornish feet of late sending us out our well tanks and, last week, driving half-way across the country and back to attend Warley. The fact that they even got a newsletter out at such a time (which hasn't always been the case in the past on a major show weekend) speaks volumes and illustrates the need to take on a marketing manager (Hayley was the one with Chris at Warley). Just how much can we expect from a small team of people?

Along with numerous other Kernow specials this may pre-sell sufficiently well that further variants are considered before release or even that it sells out on pre-orders. Looked at in terms of pricing for 2013 the cost for a 2-coach commissioned set is quite fair as well and I shall have no hesitation in supporting the initiative with an order.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

This release makes me wonder if there's any mileage in getting such things as Bulleid multi-door sets done as a special commission, and also the likes of a new A1/A1X Terrier. Hmmm. Need to find the financing though. Really a subject (or set of subjects) for a new thread.

Edited by Ian J.

The following info might be of interest...

http://www.semgonlin...ck/GatesInd.pdf

Larry, forgive me but I don't really understand the link. Would it mean, for example, for set 372 (the Maunsell period one), that it would have operated solely in the Portland area? Is there anywhere I could get a brief history of where this set would have operated in the period it was in that livery ('20s and 30s)?

Well that one came out of left field! Very welcome, even if I'm more familiar with the LBSC and SR sets. And any RTR pre-grouping coaches have to be greeted with considerable enthusiasm!

They'll go nicely on my planned roundy-roundy Tawbridge, but I'll have to cancel my 30225 O2 now and go for the push-pull fitted 30182 instead (save me modifying the M7 anyway).

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful news. One thing I'm not quite clear about though: if I order one on the Kernow website, is payment taken immediately? There doesn't seem to be the pre-order function which exists on the pages for the other special edition models. I'm probably just not looking closely enough, mind.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow never takes your money until they pack the goods.

If you click on the link from this page http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/66/LSWR_Gate_Stock to select the set or sets you require you will then be able to check out (or create an account first if you don't yet have one) and will receive an order confirmation email.

But no money is ever taken until the goods are in the shop and your parcel is being packed.

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful news. One thing I'm not quite clear about though: if I order one on the Kernow website, is payment taken immediately? There doesn't seem to be the pre-order function which exists on the pages for the other special edition models. I'm probably just not looking closely enough, mind.

Judging by my (very) limited experience with them Kernow only take payment on day of despatch, they don't take deposits on pre-orders for commissioned models (well they haven't on the 5 I've got on order) and they don't take payment when the model goes into stock - only on despatch. (In fact having been privy to the operation what happens is that the card number is processed as the model is packed.)

• RMweb Premium
(In fact having been privy to the operation what happens is that the card number is processed as the model is packed.)

Exactly that. No deposits taken. Your order number will determine how soon your model is sent just as per the well tanks and all their other orders. First in best dressed.