Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

Hi

I initially ordered, back in November 2011, set 373 in steel panelled style. Recently however after looking at photos of the prototype and pre production samples I decided I preferred the original style of panelling. Kernow kindly agreed to change my order and the earlier version of set 373 was delivered a couple of weeks ago. I am very pleased with it but of course it was in the wrong livery for my BR/S layout. I therefore removed the southern style lettering & numbers with a sharp cocktail stick (harder to do than on the Hornby 58' rebuilds) and renumbered it as set 374 which retained the varnished malachite green till withdrawal in 1956. I have replaced the inter coach couplings with one of the Bachmann pipe type from their mk1 coaches. It looks better and leaves only a minimal gap between coaches. It can easily be tweaked by gently warming and bending. The front coupling and socket have been removed and coupling to a Hornby M7 is by Hornby close couplings, it runs very well. Overall, after a very long wait, I am very satisfied with my purchase. Now, who wants a pair of modified Ratio Midland suburban coaches painted green!

Roger

• Like 1

Much as I was delighted to receive my BR set, 373, I decided to return it. I had changed my order prior to dispatch from 373 in green to 363 in maroon. The reason being the images I had seen of the recessed rivets.

373 arrived and I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.

However, under the layout lighting, the dimples really stood out and I just couldn't live with it.

Kernow were extremly gracious and I now have a maroon set, swapped within the week, postage refunded to boot.

A real shame.

I am now looking forward to weathering them accordingly.

Rob.

I would love to have the opportunity to see my BR set 373 dimples and all!

I was told by Greg at Kernow that it should be posted in the next 10 days or so.....................

I know its all my fault for not paying earlier and I should be able to hold on until mid-January but it is frustrating that people are at the stage of returning and exchanging unwanted sets when some have not even had the sniff of them.....................

Heavens, I sound like a winging Pom........

The first running session with my set 373 was not entirely successful, but that was down to the O2 stalling rather than any faults in the gate stock! I had to send a class 33, complete with two 4TC units into the tunnels to rescue the O2 and gate stock. :D

I'll clean the wheels on the O2 and give it a bit of a run on the rolling road before I have another go with the gate stock.

• Like 1

I had a running session last night with the gate stock being pushed and pulled for long periods by the O2, with no problems at all. I have Hornby close couplings (originally supplied with their Maunsell coaches) between the two coaches but found that these were responsible for the locomotive problems when used between the loco and the first coach. I now have a Kadee #18 fitted to the locomotive and #19 to the first coach and the running is faultless. I think the close couplings were too rigid for the O2 and were forcing the rear bogie to one side, thus affecting the pickup and running on curves.

I would love to have the opportunity to see my BR set 373 dimples and all!

I was told by Greg at Kernow that it should be posted in the next 10 days or so.....................

I know its all my fault for not paying earlier and I should be able to hold on until mid-January but it is frustrating that people are at the stage of returning and exchanging unwanted sets when some have not even had the sniff of them.....................

Heavens, I sound like a winging Pom........

No, you don't sound like a whinging Pom (is I think what you meant!).Ordered mine several years back when they were commissioned, I'm still waiting for them, having responded, like many, to Kernow's surprise request to pay up front because of problems of the items being released when they arrived in this country - which they did at the beginning of November. Unfortunately, the lad at their end then failed to update my details properly. Another week went by before this was sorted - at the end of October. Now here we are at the end of the first week in December and still no sign of the coaches. 

I'm still waiting for them, having responded, like many, to Kernow's surprise request to pay up front because of problems of the items being released when they arrived in this country - which they did at the beginning of November. Unfortunately, the lad at their end then failed to update my details properly. Another week went by before this was sorted - at the end of October. Now here we are at the end of the first week in December and still no sign of the coaches. 

Glad I'm not the only one.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Clearly not. Equally, I have to say I was not very pleased by the latest newsletter from Kernow making the point - in my words - that they would move more speedily in dispatching the coaches if people refrained from telephoning to find out the whereabouts of their particular order. I think waiting six years for an item is quite long enough. Surely, if there are difficulties, and they are, pardon the pun, snowed under, with other matters and their attendance at Warley, then temporarily hire a couple of extra staff - as used to be done at this time of year on the post and so forth to attend to this specific matter. For my part, my patience is starting to run out.

Clearly not. Equally, I have to say I was not very pleased by the latest newsletter from Kernow making the point - in my words - that they would move more speedily in dispatching the coaches if people refrained from telephoning to find out the whereabouts of their particular order. I think waiting six years for an item is quite long enough. Surely, if there are difficulties, and they are, pardon the pun, snowed under, with other matters and their attendance at Warley, then temporarily hire a couple of extra staff - as used to be done at this time of year on the post and so forth to attend to this specific matter. For my part, my patience is starting to run out.

A rather unhelpfull and downright rude post. A bit like the child in the back of the car kicking the drivers seat and repeatedly shouting "are we there yet".

Yes there are difficulties, most of them imposed on and outside Kernow's control. Extra staff cost money and erode a profit margin which most industries outside of model railways wouldn't touch.

I can and will wait without troubling the good people at Kernow, for my part I admire them for the reach and scope of their releases.

Mike

Edited by durham light infantry
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A rather unhelpfull and downright rude post. A bit like the child in the back of the car kicking the drivers seat and repeatedly shouting "are we there yet".

Yes there are difficulties, most of them imposed on and outside Kernow's control. Extra staff cost money and erode a profit margin which most industries outside of model railways wouldn't touch.

I can and will wait without troubling the good people at Kernow, for my part I admire them for the reach and scope of their releases.

Mike

Apart from any other considerations, Kernow's not-overly-spacious premises probably don't have room for extra staff, at least while they have all those boxes of Gate Sets, Bulleid diesels and 4-TC sets clogging the place up.

Once the boxes are gone, though, any need for more people to empty them will have disappeared. :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling

I had a running session last night with the gate stock being pushed and pulled for long periods by the O2, with no problems at all. I have Hornby close couplings (originally supplied with their Maunsell coaches) between the two coaches but found that these were responsible for the locomotive problems when used between the loco and the first coach. I now have a Kadee #18 fitted to the locomotive and #19 to the first coach and the running is faultless. I think the close couplings were too rigid for the O2 and were forcing the rear bogie to one side, thus affecting the pickup and running on curves.

My green 02 has the Hornby close couplings and is displaying problems on a curve, I'll swap in my black one and if that is the same will substitute for Kadees as well. In some respects that might be better all round as using the Hornby coupling rules out three locomotives from hauling the kadee stock

Mike

Hardly that, merely a statement of fact. And while there may well have been factors outside of Kernow's control, it would have been helpful if down the years they had kept those who ordered these items abreast of what was causing the continuing delay. Given that I, and indeed others, complied with their eleventh hour request that they then take payment before the coaches were even in the country in order to guarantee the original discounted price, while I accept that there will be a staggered release, the company should have sufficient staff to process these items rather more expeditiously than is the presently the case.

• RMweb Gold

Hardly that, merely a statement of fact. And while there may well have been factors outside of Kernow's control, it would have been helpful if down the years they had kept those who ordered these items abreast of what was causing the continuing delay. Given that I, and indeed others, complied with their eleventh hour request that they then take payment before the coaches were even in the country in order to guarantee the original discounted price, while I accept that there will be a staggered release, the company should have sufficient staff to process these items rather more expeditiously than is the presently the case.

Have you been to Kernow? A tiny C19 terraced shop fitted out like Aladdin's cave. So much stuff! And on the upper floors tiny rooms where swinging a cat would be a challenge - and that includes the proprietor's office. Extra staff might find it a bit intimate! My order went in early 2013, my payment by phone on 19th September. My models arrived a couple of weeks back. Keep the faith. 

• Like 1

Have you been to Kernow? A tiny C19 terraced shop fitted out like Aladdin's cave. So much stuff! And on the upper floors tiny rooms where swinging a cat would be a challenge - and that includes the proprietor's office. Extra staff might find it a bit intimate! My order went in early 2013, my payment by phone on 19th September. My models arrived a couple of weeks back. Keep the faith. 

My order went in November 2011, payment taken out of my account 6 weeks ago, still no sign of them being posted, I am trying to keep the faith but they really should have foreseen this was going to happen............

I have had my 3rd grandchild born, travel through pre-school and finish year one of "big" school since I ordered these coaches. She is now asking why Grandad looks so sad...........................

Come on Kernow, make my Christmas, I may still get them if posted on Monday...........................

• RMweb Gold

I think a little more patience is required.These are not the only items being sent out. Let's not lose sight of the fact that the shop has day to day business to attend to as well as dealing with back orders.

Rob

• RMweb Premium
That’s the mail room. Normally occupied by one or at most two staff. Everything which we receive from Kernow is packed and mailed within those confines. It is also the space (which might be a wrong word) used to store items which we ask them to hold for personal collection.

The fact of the team member not wearing a uniform shirt in that image suggests he might be the “extra” hired for the current extreme level of business

Hardly that, merely a statement of fact. And while there may well have been factors outside of Kernow's control, it would have been helpful if down the years they had kept those who ordered these items abreast of what was causing the continuing delay. Given that I, and indeed others, complied with their eleventh hour request that they then take payment before the coaches were even in the country in order to guarantee the original discounted price, while I accept that there will be a staggered release, the company should have sufficient staff to process these items rather more expeditiously than is the presently the case.

I visited the shop last week and there are several extra staff to process the orders and pack them. Remember that they are dealing with 3 sets of Limited Editions as well as the Christmas rush. They are working flat out and really want to get models to customers ASAP.

• Like 1

The updates about the gate stock from the last three Kernow newsletters

24th November (before Warley)

Thank you for bearing with us! The Gate Stock has been here for a week and so far we have processed about a third of the orders. We will keep working as fast as we can, but please bear in mind we are at Warley this weekend which takes half of our staff away. As of Wednesday evening we had sent every order which was paid for up until 30th September. Please note - it is not the date of the original order, it is the date you paid us that we are using. We initially emailed / contacted everyone in strict date order, some people immediately authorised us to take payment, some waited for several weeks, some a period between immediately and several weeks! We will continue to process them as quickly as possible, a process that will be speeded up if we don't have to keep answering phone calls and emails asking when a particular order may be sent! You have been very patient waiting for a number of years in some cases, please give us just a couple more weeks!:

1st December

Thanks for bearing with us! The Gate Stock has been here for about two weeks and so far we have processed more than half of the orders. We will keep working as fast as we can, but please bear in mind we have just been at Warley which took half our staff away, and also we have now received Bulleid Diesels and weathered Tiger wagons, so we have plenty to keep us busy. As of now, we have sent every order which was paid for up until 20th October. Please note - it is not the date of the original order, it is the date you paid us that we are using. We initially emailed / contacted everyone in strict date order, some people immediately authorised us to take payment, some waited for several weeks, some a period between immediately and several weeks! We will continue to process them as quickly as possible, a process that will be speeded up if we don't have to keep answering phone calls and emails asking when a particular order may be sent! You have been very patient waiting for a number of years in some cases, please give us a little more time!

8th December

We have now sent out three quarters of the Gate Stock pre-orders - phew! Please note - it is not the date of the original order, it is the date you paid us that we are using. We initially emailed / contacted everyone in strict date order, some people immediately authorised us to take payment, some waited for several weeks, some a period between immediately and several weeks! We will continue to process them as quickly as possible, a process that will be speeded up if we don't have to keep answering phone calls and emails asking when a particular order may be sent! You have been very patient waiting for a number of years in some cases, please give us just a little more time!

Given the progress reported in the past three newsletters, I'd guesstimate that most if not all orders will have been processed by the time that the next newsletter is sent out (15th December).

Edited by Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Well my SR Malachite Set 373 ran superbly with my Kernow O2 renumbered as Plymouth Friary's 182  in push and pull mode.

For those still waiting for theirs hang on in there. Kernow/DJM have done a cracking job and you will not be disappointed. Kernow are a small shop and do not have the infrastructure or staffing levels of the likes of Hattons.

For me the wheels are the biggest bug bear on the coaches which I will look into changing. Also in my eyes the paintwork needs lifting so mine will be getting the T-Cut and Kleer treatment.

Great models none the less. Well done Kernow/DJM.... ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Well my SR Malachite Set 373 ran superbly with my Kernow O2 renumbered as Plymouth Friary's 182  in push and pull mode.

For those still waiting for theirs hang on in there. Kernow/DJM have done a cracking job and you will not be disappointed. Kernow are a small shop and do not have the infrastructure or staffing levels of the likes of Hattons.

For me the wheels are the biggest bug bear on the coaches which I will look into changing. Also in my eyes the paintwork needs lifting so mine will be getting the T-Cut and Kleer treatment.

Great models none the less. Well done Kernow/DJM.... ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Likewise regarding the paintwork, Mark. The reason I changed my original order was down to the dimples on 373. I could see the difficulties it would present when treating the paintwork with car polish. Otherwise these are superb.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Regarding replacement wheel sets I understand that standard OO scale replacements are not available to fit these models.

If I were to approach Colin at Alan Gibson for a suitable drop in wheel set  what pin point axle length would be required to fit the bogies?   Also would Maunsell and/or  plain coach wheels be suitable for a variety of periods?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I measured mine at 25mm long.

Thanks Tender.

Looking at the Gibson catalogue looks like Colin does a 24.5mm  long axle to special order. (Page 6).

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf

I'm going to order a replacement set with my next wheel order.  I presume post-war these coaches would no longer be running on Maunsell carriage wheels and have been fitted with plain disc wheels?

Cheers.

Mark