Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

My Set 373 in malachite arrived on Friday, and at the running session at the club today I found that a fellow members Olive set arrived the same day. 

Please excuse the Non push-pull fitted M7.

38239075974_b4cf79b6d3_c.jpg

See my workbench thread for a few more pictures

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 7

Just wondered how things are going, am I the only person in the world left who ordered in 2011 still waiting for theirs to be posted???

Almost as soon as I read about their request for up-front payment on this forum I contacted Kernow, ( 21st September) and told them to go ahead and charge my card. My set was shipped on the 17th of November.

I think shipping pre-paid orders in the order payment was received before starting to ship non-prepaid orders for both this and the Bullied is reasonable. 

Almost as soon as I read about their request for up-front payment on this forum I contacted Kernow, ( 21st September) and told them to go ahead and charge my card. My set was shipped on the 17th of November.

I think shipping pre-paid orders in the order payment was received before starting to ship non-prepaid orders for both this and the Bullied is reasonable. 

In my own defence a couple of points,

Firstly I admitted earlier in the thread that I did take my eye off the ball, lot happening in my life at the time and yes I forgot to make the early payment. 

Secondly, I am still concerned about paying before good arrive. If I want to crowd fund as they say I will, but the whole thing makes me uneasy, where does it all end. Imagine if these were crowdfunded and you'd paid 6 years before getting the goods, Many people in my age group who ordered would have passed away by then ................

Thirdly I stand by what I said and this situation should have been foreseen. I still work 2 days a week in a highly intensive, customer focused, position. Being able to anticipate and deal with customers and provide really personal service gives our company an edge. 

Finally, even if I did forget to pay up front, Kernow have still taken the money out of my account some 5 weeks ago. I wonder if I had ordered something else in the meantime and asked for my coaches to be put in the parcel if I would have had them by now? Perhaps someone out there has tried that?

Anyway sorry for being seen as the boy who is throwing his toys out of the bathtub but it is frustrating to now know they will have no chance of arriving before Christmas, in fact with the Australia Post shutdown after Christmas will be lucky to see them in January.

On the positive side my little set of converted Triang clerestories continue in service for another few months, made them during the Christmas break in 2011 as a "temporary" measure so the Torbridge Jcn and Minstergate service had a physical presence on the layout as well as in the timetable..............

Merry Christmas everyone

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for your trouble and understand your concerns,especially as you are a distance customer but please put your fears about cash upfront to rest.Many of us have elected to do that over the last couple of years (and not only with Kernow) and no one has thus far had the slightest reason to worry.Unlike our inglorious cricket team ( soon to suffer ritual Antipodean humiliation at the Gabba),Chris Trerise has a safe pair of hands. It has been said many times that Kernow is a small outfit that miraculously conjures up for our delight models that mainstream suppliers do not.They are what they are and do what they do and whether you or anyone else wishes to submit  an improved business plan,things will stay just the way they are and thank heavens for that.( the shop is too small for expansion anyway).In any case,you are not in any sense in a position to judge for yourself because no two concerns are alike.It is not a case of Go Compare,whatever your experience of retailing might be.

I have been a regular customer of Kernow for over a decade and if I am still around to celebrate another decade,I intend to remain one. I don't know if anyone with Cornish ancestry is a current member of our awful cricket team but perhaps you will be able to ease your frustration by watching what happens over the next five days.Advance Australia Fair...enjoy the cricket

Sorry for your trouble and understand your concerns,especially as you are a distance customer but please put your fears about cash upfront to rest.Many of us have elected to do that over the last couple of years (and not only with Kernow) and no one has thus far had the slightest reason to worry.Unlike our inglorious cricket team ( soon to suffer ritual Antipodean humiliation at the Gabba),Chris Trerise has a safe pair of hands. It has been said many times that Kernow is a small outfit that miraculously conjures up for our delight models that mainstream suppliers do not.They are what they are and do what they do and whether you or anyone else wishes to submit  an improved business plan,things will stay just the way they are and thank heavens for that.( the shop is too small for expansion anyway).In any case,you are not in any sense in a position to judge for yourself because no two concerns are alike.It is not a case of Go Compare,whatever your experience of retailing might be.

I have been a regular customer of Kernow for over a decade and if I am still around to celebrate another decade,I intend to remain one. I don't know if anyone with Cornish ancestry is a current member of our awful cricket team but perhaps you will be able to ease your frustration by watching what happens over the next five days.Advance Australia Fair...enjoy the cricket

I have been to Kernow twice, agree it is a small and delightful shop. Then so was Hattons 50 years ago. When Norm Hatton purchased vast amounts of Hornby Dublo he started by renting lock-ups and by employing schoolboys and students if needed to keep things moving. His priority was always "get the orders out". I realise with workplace laws and whatever things are far more complicated these days but there are ways and is Cornwall not one of the homes of "cottage" industry.

It is very hard to sympathise with any cricket team that wins the toss in Adelaide and then sends Australia in to bat!

Mind you Australia has its problems with its never ending search for the great "all-rounder". They seem to have been in this mindset ever since the retirement of Keith Miller! We await with baited breath over here whether Mitch Marsh makes his 5th or 6th comeback in this role, I lose count..........

Posted on Facebook at 16:42 yesterday https://www.facebook.com/KernowModelRailCentre/posts/1876421995732672

LSWR GATE STOCK UPDATE - exactly one month (almost to the hour!) after we received the Gate Stock we have now completed processing paid-for pre-orders. The last will leave us tonight and tomorrow, they will of course take a few days to pass through the postal system. We will now move on to paid-for Bulleid diesels! Thanks for your patience!

Well here in Canada in the midst of the Christmas mail the BR green Gate Stock plus a Hornby H class tank miraculously arrived today on a Sunday.

Canada post does pull out all the stops at this time of year.

The report is that both the Gate Stock and H class are working very well through points and across the differently scaled Tillig 009/HO crossover..

They are a delight to watch and the H Class slow motion starting and stopping is realistic.

Nice..

I was going to hold them back until Christmas day, but why play tomorrow with what you can play with today?

So I'm suitably impressed with DJ models and Kernow and almost with Hornby - who after the continuing T9 fiasco, are beginning to slowly worm their way back into my good books.,.

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

In my own defence a couple of points,

Firstly I admitted earlier in the thread that I did take my eye off the ball, lot happening in my life at the time and yes I forgot to make the early payment. 

Secondly, I am still concerned about paying before good arrive. If I want to crowd fund as they say I will, but the whole thing makes me uneasy, where does it all end. Imagine if these were crowdfunded and you'd paid 6 years before getting the goods, Many people in my age group who ordered would have passed away by then ................

Thirdly I stand by what I said and this situation should have been foreseen. I still work 2 days a week in a highly intensive, customer focused, position. Being able to anticipate and deal with customers and provide really personal service gives our company an edge. 

Finally, even if I did forget to pay up front, Kernow have still taken the money out of my account some 5 weeks ago. I wonder if I had ordered something else in the meantime and asked for my coaches to be put in the parcel if I would have had them by now? Perhaps someone out there has tried that?

Anyway sorry for being seen as the boy who is throwing his toys out of the bathtub but it is frustrating to now know they will have no chance of arriving before Christmas, in fact with the Australia Post shutdown after Christmas will be lucky to see them in January.

On the positive side my little set of converted Triang clerestories continue in service for another few months, made them during the Christmas break in 2011 as a "temporary" measure so the Torbridge Jcn and Minstergate service had a physical presence on the layout as well as in the timetable..............

Merry Christmas everyone

Kernow could have hired a village hall and taken on some more staff to deal with the backlog and the telephone calls. I also did not know that they were sending the gate stock push pull sets in the order in which we had paid for them rather than the order that we ordered them. I ordered mine on 12 January 2012. I authorised my credit card payment promptly but the card company declined it although I was well within my credit limit so I did ring Kernow to ask them to put the payment through again. I am pleased that Kernow have shown the initiative in producing the models as they form a missing gap in the line that I am modelling. I think that when someone has been waiting nearly five years and paid money up front over a month ago it is reasonable to ask about the progress.

I stayed in for a morning waiting for DPD to deliver the sets only to find that they had not arrived because Kernow were not ready for DPD to collect the parcel the previous day. Having said that I enjoyed watching the progress of the sets from China to Southampton, Southampton to Cornwall, Cornwall to Ferndown and finally to my flat. They must have travelled further than any of my other models.

Edited by Robin Brasher

Kernow could have hired a village hall and taken on some more staff to deal with the backlog and the telephone calls. I also did not know that they were sending the gate stock push pull sets in the order in which we had paid for them rather than the order that we ordered them. I ordered mine on 12 January 2012. I authorised my credit card payment promptly but the card company declined it although I was well within my credit limit so I did ring Kernow to ask them to put the payment through again. I am pleased that Kernow have shown the initiative in producing the models as they form a missing gap in the line that I am modelling. I think that when someone has been waiting nearly five years and paid money up front over a month ago it is reasonable to ask about the progress.

I stayed in for a morning waiting for DPD to deliver the sets only to find that they had not arrived because Kernow were not ready for DPD to collect the parcel the previous day. Having said that I enjoyed watching the progress of the sets from China to Southampton, Southampton to Cornwall, Cornwall to Ferndown and finally to my flat. They must have travelled further than any of my other models.

Kernow has been very good about charging the price quoted at the time of ordering. I doubt that that could be done if extra expense is incurred by hiring a village hall and taking on more staff. It’s just one of those things that the Bulleids arrived close to the arrival of gate stock and weathered china clay wagons.

It’s frustrating to be at the (non-)receiving end I know and it’s not unreasonable to ask about progress. I just let them get on with it.

I haven’t even mentioned the hydraulics. Oh. Dang!

• RMweb Gold

I have been to Kernow twice, agree it is a small and delightful shop. Then so was Hattons 50 years ago. When Norm Hatton purchased vast amounts of Hornby Dublo he started by renting lock-ups and by employing schoolboys and students if needed to keep things moving. His priority was always "get the orders out". I realise with workplace laws and whatever things are far more complicated these days but there are ways and is Cornwall not one of the homes of "cottage" industry.

It is very hard to sympathise with any cricket team that wins the toss in Adelaide and then sends Australia in to bat!

Mind you Australia has its problems with its never ending search for the great "all-rounder". They seem to have been in this mindset ever since the retirement of Keith Miller! We await with baited breath over here whether Mitch Marsh makes his 5th or 6th comeback in this role, I lose count..........

Well...I was right about the cricket.Merry Christmas. Well done Australia.If you have any returns to Kernow please enclose the remnants of English cricket with them.Though an incognito trip in a container is what they can expect. :nono:

Well they say the age of miracles is in the past but today the incredible happened. Only 9 days after posting from Kernow, my Gate Stock arrived here in South East Queensland.

I was sitting in the railway room cleaning some loco wheels when I saw the white van pull up, what a lovely surprise and on a Saturday as well! They must have been trying to clear all the backlog before Christmas. So yesterday I received the Michael Portillo figure from Mike Pett, 14 days from Kent. Today the coaches from Cornwall in 9 days. I take all back what I said about Australia Post........................

Merry Christmas everyone.

If it's any consolation for cricket lovers, it look as though Mitchell Starc will not be fit on Boxing Day.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas Everyone and to those who flagged support, thank you. 

My wife and I had a lovely Christmas, but what a storm we had last night, a real "Queenslander". Fortunately for the inhabitants of the Ambridge Vale, we did not lose power. Even Michael Portillo managed to make it to see the new coaches arrive!

post-3148-0-02351100-1514238146_thumb.jpg

post-3148-0-95021700-1514238169_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

A picture of a Hornby Adams Radial with set 373 loosely based on the colour picture of set 373 at Lyme Regis with Adams radial tank 30584 on 25th July 1960 on plate 21 on page 19 of Southern Vans and Coaches in Colour by Mike King. The  caption is the most detailed caption I have ever seen giving a full history of Set 373 together with the final liveries of unlined crimson lake for set 374 and lined crimson lake for set 363. The caption says that it is unlikely that set 373 was ever painted crimson lake but went from malachite green to Southern Region green after 1956. It is possible that the wrought iron gates have been preserved. 

Looking back over this topic there is a picture of set 373 in Graham Muz's post 7, in post 85 there are some pictures of set 373 taken on 2 May 1959 of the R.C.T.S. (London Branch) The Brunel Centenarian and Plymouth District Rail Tour.

Post 210 refers to a photograph of set 373 in Southern Coaches in Colour in green livery in 1960.

Post 219 shows a black and white picture of M7 30057 and set 373 at Swanage station on page 250 of 'Swanage 125 Years of Railways' by B.L Jackson.

post-17621-0-04298500-1514310438_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Set 373 in BR green was my preferred option. However the dimpled representation of the rivets spoilt it for me completely.

Such a shame as it looked superb apart from that.

Rob.

Set 373 in BR green was my preferred option. However the dimpled representation of the rivets spoilt it for me completely.

Such a shame as it looked superb apart from that.

Rob.

Must be getting old, they've been running for 3 days on the layout and I've not noticed a single dimple..............

What I am disappointed in personally is that there is nowhere to hang a tail lamp! After the Hornby Maunsell and Collett coaches etc, I think we have been spoilt, perhaps this is because they were designed such a long time ago.............. Oh well back to the "Blu Tack"

Love Robin Brasher's picture above with the Adam's Radial, so they were not always used as "push-pull" stock? More operational possibilities. I have a feeing a second set may be on the cards in the lined crimson.................

• RMweb Gold

A picture of a Hornby Adams Radial with set 373 loosely based on the colour picture of set 373 at Lyme Regis with Adams radial tank 30584 on 25th July 1960 on plate 21 on page 19 of Southern Vans and Coaches in Colour by Mike King. The  caption is the most detailed caption I have ever seen giving a full history of Set 373 together with the final liveries of unlined crimson lake for set 374 and lined crimson lake for set 363. The caption says that it is unlikely that set 373 was ever painted crimson lake but went from malachite green to Southern Region green after 1956. It is possible that the wrought iron gates have been preserved. 

Looking back over this topic there is a picture of set 373 in Graham Muz's post 7, in post 85 there are some pictures of set 373 taken on 2 May 1959 of the R.C.T.S. (London Branch) The Brunel Centenarian and Plymouth District Rail Tour.

Post 210 refers to a photograph of set 373 in Southern Coaches in Colour in green livery in 1960.

Post 219 shows a black and white picture of M7 30057 and set 373 at Swanage station on page 250 of 'Swanage 125 Years of Railways' by B.L Jackson.

Thanks Robin, I've been trying to remember which of my books that photo appeared in for weeks.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

post-3088-0-68282900-1514402693_thumb.jpg

If I might join the party-here's my set in non-push/pull mode leaving Port Bredy.

When I knew this stock and traveled in it on the Portland Branch  in the late 1930's and early 40's it was worked as above.

For more photos see post #2168 on my Hintock thread.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 13

post-3088-0-38152400-1514428318_thumb.jpg

Yes, Rob I am exceedingly fortunate to have stood in the vestibule and behind that gate....

Please see also post # 2168...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60526-the-hintock-branch-1930s-dorset-joint-gwrsr-workings-in-oo/page-87

Edited by john flann
  • Like 14

Nice pics John. Mine too are in olive and look great with the O2.

While folks are discussing delivery experiences I will share mine. I had both the gate stock and Bulleid diesel on order and delivery was likely to be while on a 4 week holiday. A conversation with Kernow back in November resulted in both being packaged together and delivered 19 December, the day after my return. Well done Kernow

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...