Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

• RMweb Gold

How many sets in a "box"?

Sorry....you tell me.All a bit confusing.....twitter being strictly for the birds as far as I'm concerned.Like the proverbial Russian doll..sets in a box within a bigger box and so ad infinitum. Time for a pre dinner quaff methinks...Cheers !

• Like 1

attachicon.gifHTK_1087-1.jpg

Yes, Rob I am exceedingly fortunate to have stood in the vestibule and behind that gate....

Please see also post # 2168...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60526-the-hintock-branch-1930s-dorset-joint-gwrsr-workings-in-oo/page-87

Thank you for that photo, John. The photos of 374 olive on the KMRC site showed the colour to look more like 'baby nappy brown' than the olive that Hornby and Bachmann livery their coaches in. Given that any photo can 'tell a lie' but the eye in real life doesn't, how would you say the olive colour of these matches the Maunsells and Birdcages from red and blue?

look great with the O2.

BUM! That's the thing that I forgot...the O2 in olive is sold out..plenty of the others, but that's no good to me (unless one can be relatively painlessly be repainted. :(

Truffy's mind is not what it was. I have a Hornby M7 in PP guise.  :senile:

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Gold

Not me guv. Ian H was concerned that there were too few left. It all depends how many are in a box. "More than 10" and "not many boxes" are not mutually exclusive. 

General question - if one was to look at replacing the corridor connections on these coaches, where would they look to find the required bits?

You could try Roxey Mouldings, who do a scissors gangway. I'm sure there are other possibilities, too. 

Probably old hat now, because most here that are interested will have made their purchase. But the major thing that put me off purchasing this stock was the terrible photo of the Maunsell olive green version on the KMRC site, it looked rather muddy brown. It wasn't until John Flann of this parish posted his photos of Port Bredy that I took the plunge.

This shows the Kernow gate stock (middle) together with a Hornby Maunsell (left) and Bachmann birdcage (right). It's a terrible photo, I'm the first to admit, but at least it shows how close the Kernow is to especially the Hornby. And then there's the question of different batches/weathering, so all's good.

post-20568-0-14342600-1518014579_thumb.jpg

post-20568-0-65676000-1518014800_thumb.jpg

Edited by truffy
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Probably old hat now, because most here that are interested will have made their purchase. But the major thing that put me off purchasing this stock was the terrible photo of the Maunsell olive green version on the KMRC site, it looked rather muddy brown. It wasn't until John Flann of this parish posted his photos of Port Bredy that I took the plunge.

This shows the Kernow gate stock (middle) together with a Hornby Maunsell (left) and Bachmann birdcage (right). It's a terrible photo, I'm the first to admit, but at least it shows how close the Kernow is to especially the Hornby. And then there's the question of different batches/weathering, so all's good.

Yes agree. I have these same coaches on my layout and think they look tremendous. We Southern modellers are very lucky. And now the prospect of some decent Bulleid coaches from Bachmann too

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No photo's as yet but I asked Colin from Alan Gibson to make up 8 OO Gauge 14mm plain disc wheelsets (4005) on shorter 24.5mm (Standard 26mm) axles to replace the factory fitted wheels on my SR Malachite 373 Set.

All I can say is they pop in easily and the coaches run beautifully. Removing those bright silver wheelsets certainly improves the appearance of the coaches for me anyway no end. 

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

I should have gone for the Southern Malachite. Happy as I am with the crimson..it's not Southern Region.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I should have gone for the Southern Malachite. Happy as I am with the crimson..it's not Southern Region.

Rob.

But it does add a bit of variety in the coaching stock department...;)

• RMweb Gold

Welch's "Southern Coaches In Colour" has multiple pics of various venerable steam-era stock still in crimson as late as 1960. It really did hang on for vehicles with a limited future. 

Well I'm happy with my "Gate stock" in BR(SR) Crimson. For my layout "Basingstoke 1958-67" (87ft x 24ft) which you can see in the category "Modelling real locations" elsewhere on RMweb.

However I have already made a number of "mods" to my Set as seen in the accompanying pictures.

Above: First minor issue I found was that the footboards are too wide, and likely to catch the platform ramps on the ends of my platforms. The bogie on the left is "as supplied" while that on the right is after I narrowed them down by 2mm. 

Above: Next minor issue was the cab front accessories provided. I replaced the vacuum and steam heat hoses with ones a little thicker, and added a proper working screw link coupling purely for visual purposes as my fleet is normally Kadee fitted.

Above: Next step was to improve the internal colouring and the method of seat installation. The floors were sprayed Halfords Matt black and the seating given a more reddish brown "moquette" typical of the 1950's. (A before and after comparison). 

Above: The problem of the seating interior mounting method which has protruding screws in little mounting towers, was abolished and the seating glued to the chassis, as I could find no reason for them to be parted in the future. This did require a piece of plasticard under one end of the seating as there is central recess in the chassis floor partially revealed in this shot. As if a thin metal weight had been envisaged, but not fitted.  

Above: As the vehicles are "opens" and look rather bare internally I thought I should shove a few HO scale passengers inside, HO because you don't need to chop off their feet to fit them.  Note also that the incorrect bench seat provided at the inner end of the DVT (lower vehicle in picture) has had the centre removed so that passengers can now get at the ganyway connection !!  

Above: The set re-assembled, which also shows the closed up gap between vehicles pssible on my layout as I have minimum radius curves of 5ft. 

My impression of the model overall, is that it is very good. The minor niggles I would say are minor. And to be fair to "DJ Models" I think this is the first time they have attempted real period coaching stock, with all the awkward potential detail pitfalls this presents. I think they should be congratulated for taking the plunge with such an unusual prototype, as we are not yet blessed with many RTR period coaching stock types. Although Southern modellers seem to be doing better than anyone else so far .

Edited by 71000
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Rob.

And I have an SR olive green O2 which was a whim eBay purchase 2 years ago...don't ask why !! It's all dressed up with really nothing to pair it with.Thus I eventually will have to resort to a "matching" lined Maunsell green set.My only justification is that I have on order from OO Works a Southern green D15 .

• Like 2

And I have an SR olive green O2 which was a whim eBay purchase 2 years ago...don't ask why !! It's all dressed up with really nothing to pair it with.Thus I eventually will have to resort to a "matching" lined Maunsell green set.My only justification is that I have on order from OO Works a Southern green D15 .

Ian

Indeed the little Class 02. I have a mainland version in BR lined black (30225), but it isn't the colour, so much as the interior that intrigued me. The model has a tiny coreless motor, similar to a mobile phone vibrator motor, and the whole loco weighed in at just 153g. Very light !

Above: My little Class 02, on the workbench for a few mods and extras.

So like all my locos I virtually immediately take them to pieces to see what makes them tick, before giving them a "Load Haul" test up one of my layouts, long 1 in 100 gradients. Which are required as I have included "Worting Junction" and "Battledown flyover" on the layout. My little 02 was quite surprising for such a small and light model, as it happily pulled a maximum of 4 Bachmann Bulleids weighing 608g. As the inside of the body shell has quite a lot of free space, because the motor is so small. I added another 6g of lead shot weight, which allows it to now take 5 coaches (weighing760g) up the same 1 in 100 gradient without slipping.

As to the "OO works" D15, I'm green with envy as I somehow missed out on that model. Their website currently says "Sold out", and the LSWR Drummond D15 just gets into my era (1958-67). If the D15 is as good as my "OO works" Drummond 700 class 0-6-0, which hugely outperformes the newer Hornby version by roughly 120% (I have examples of both models) the D15 should prove to be a good performer.

Above: My "OO Works" ex LSWR Drummond Class 700 0-6-0, on the first scenic section of my current large layout, during its "Load haul test" where it happily hauled 12 coaches up a long 1 in 100 gradient. The possibly better detailed Hornby equivilant only managed 5, so had to have extra weight added to make it useful, as I need to run full scale length trains on my exhibition layout.

See "Basingtoke 1958-67 (87ft x 24ft) Layout and stock", in the RMweb category "Modelling Real Locations". Which also includes "Load haulage Tests" of many steam models. 

Edited by 71000

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the information on the D15.I didn't realise thet orders were now closed. I ordered mine last May,so I'm itching to get a hands on.My only experience with OO Works is with an Adams Radial I purchased some years ago on ebay.....and that now surpassed by the more recent Hornby example.It is good to have something different.

Yes ,the O2 is a characterful model.My 30225 is happy with just 2/3 in tow,otherwise struggles with more.That's ok with me.What does help immensely is stock with free running wheelsets and some of the latest Hornby Maunsell Rebuilds did require fettling.

Well I'm happy with my "Gate stock" in BR(SR) Crimson. For my layout "Basingstoke 1958-67" (87ft x 24ft) which you can see in the category "Modelling real locations" elsewhere on RMweb.

However I have already made a number of "mods" to my Set as seen in the accompanying pictures.

attachicon.gifGate stock bogies (01).JPG

Above: First minor issue I found was that the footboards are too wide, and likely to catch the platform ramps on the ends of my platforms. The bogie on the left is "as supplied" while that on the right is after I narrowed them down by 2mm. 

attachicon.gifGate stock cab (04).JPG

Above: Next minor issue was the cab front accessories provided. I replaced the vacuum and steam heat hoses with ones a little thicker, and added a proper working screw link coupling purely for visual purposes as my fleet is normally Kadee fitted.

attachicon.gifGate stock interior (03).JPG

Above: Next step was to improve the internal colouring and the method of seat installation. The floors were sprayed Halfords Matt black and the seating given a more reddish brown "moquette" typical of the 1950's. (A before and after comparison). 

attachicon.gifGate stock interior (04).JPG

Above: The problem of the seating interior mounting method which has protruding screws in little mounting towers, was abolished and the seating glued to the chassis, as I could find no reason for them to be parted in the future. This did require a piece of plasticard under one end of the seating as there is central recess in the chassis floor partially revealed in this shot. As if a thin metal weight had been envisaged, but mot fitted.  

attachicon.gifGate stock populace (04).JPG

Above: As the vehicles are "opens" and look rather bare internally I thought I should shove a few HO scale passengers inside, HO because you don't need to chop of their feet to fit them.  Note also that the incorrect bench seat provided at the inner end of the DVT (lower vehicle in picture) has had the centre removed so that passengers can now get at the ganyway connection !!  

attachicon.gifGate set 383 (02).JPG

Above: The set re-assembled, which also shows the closed up gap between vehicles pssible on my layout as I have minimum radius curves of 5ft. 

My impression of the model overall, is that it is very good. The minor niggles I would say are minor. And to be fair to "DJ Models" I think this is the first time they have attempted real period coaching stock, with all the awkward potential detail pitfalls this presents. I think they should be congratulated for taking the plunge with such an unusual prototype, as we are not yet blessed with many RTR period coaching stock types. Although Southern modellers seem to be doing better than anyone else so far .

Thank you for the clear guide on what you did. I have yet to mod mine. I will certainly take care of the bench and floor, as well as the missing internal partition.

• RMweb Gold

Just to report that my SR Malachite Set 373 has been fitted with the replacement Alan Gibson 14mm coach wheels on a 24.5mm axles as requested from Colin. 

The wheel sets fit perfectly and improve the appearance no end. They also run very nicely.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone weathered the BR green one; a bit wary that doing so will emphasise the "rivet" depressions.

My normal coaching stock tweak is to use 'Auto glym' resin car polish on paint work. However, the dimples put me off as I could see issues with them filling up.

I would have something on stand by to clean out these dips. Perhaps a cocktail stick?

I returned my set and asked for a replacement crimson set to which Kernow obliged.

Rob