Laser printer transfers, what varnish ?

Hi All,

I'm having some transfers custom printed using a laser printer onto white transfer paper. I've not used this type before and not knowing how permanent the ink is, I was wondering if anyone could advise on which varnishes were safe to use and which I should avoid?

Thanks,

Clive.

Using a fixative on any artwork like this is a must insofar as I'm concerned. Has a number of benefits with no downside except a few minutes of one's time and a minuscule outlay.

Any quality brand artist's fixative in a spray can is fine. Just choose your preference of gloss, stain, or matte. A good craft or art shop will have the widest selection. Even though I have airbrushes & a compressor, I use spray cans for this job. They offer instant convenience, zero prep or cleanup, do a great job and have a long shelf life for moderate cost. Only other accessory required for the perfect finish is a tack cloth.

If they are laser printed, technically they don't need to be sealed as long as you're not planning to weather the model you're attaching them to with copious quantities of thinners, enamel or acrylic. They are waterproof and resistant to handling.

If you are, acrylic or enamel varnish would do the job.

Gentlemen, thankyou for your replies and advice.

My concerns were that I might lose some of the ink before I'd even got the transfers in place, maybe I'm being over cautious after some 'difficulties' with Alps printed artwork.

Yes Martin, my weathering (extensive china clay staining..) does usually involve lots of thinners so I'll most likely apply a spray of Johnsons Klear to protect.

• 1 year later...

Archived