Hell on Wheels

Tony Davis

I found a new American drama series about the beginnings of the american railroads in the west. I wondered if anyone else had seen it and if it was worth sticking with. First episode I saw had lots of guns and killing and not too many trains, so I am tempted to give up.

Tony

I found a new American drama series about the beginnings of the american railroads in the west. I wondered if anyone else had seen it and if it was worth sticking with. First episode I saw had lots of guns and killing and not too many trains, so I am tempted to give up.

Tony

Tony.

I didn't realise this was being screened in the UK ?

From what I've read, it's in the same mould as 'Deadwood'.

The locomotive(s) leave a lot to be desired as they've been turned out in a black livery (sacrilege!)

so as to create the feeling of menace from the advancing railroad.

Mac.

I've seen trailers but I don't think HBO carry it so I'll have to wait. I don't know about this series but I sometimes think the producers of HBO type series (I'm thinking of Deadwood here) put in the profane language because they can. I think the series would still be very good with the language toned down - and then Mum could watch too. They can keep the gratuitous nudity.

John

yes, graphic violence, nudity, foul language are often used to hide a shortfall in the quality in the script. Sometimes though it can be worth looking past because there is a good story underneath, not sure in this case as I have only seen the first episode

I can certainly look past all that but there are those who can't. Game of Thrones has a cracking good script even if the language is a little salty at times (I'm currently on Book 5 - couldn't wait for season 2). I thought Deadwood went over the top with language.

I think I digress slightly since I haven't seen HOW.

John

GOT is kind of fantasy, which is not normally my cup of tea. A fictional world with Medieval technology and lots of intrigue. I hadn't even heard of it until the day I saw the first episode. Sean Bean has a starring role. George RR Martin is the author. I can recommend the books. DVD release in Spring 2012:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/11/30/game-of-thrones-dvd/

I never saw more than a few minutes of Deadwood from time to time - it didn't grab me.

John

i once spent my 6 week summer holiday reading all of Michael Moorcock's books, then the Lord of the Rings, then Julian May's books, I have stayed away from the fantasy genre since then, William Gibson and Neal Stephenson are my authors of choice mainly, oh, and Raymond Chandler

• 2 months later...

I've seen the current episodes of HoW, and rather liked it. Certainly a very gritty, grimy drama, in the mould of Deadwood. Its more focused on the fight between the rich (Railroad owners), the poor (the former slaves and workers in Hell on Wheels) and the Native Americans than the trains themselves.

Don't compare the lousy screenplay of "Deadwood" with HoW!

:no:

The pure amount of dirty words in one episode of deadwood must equal the whole HoW series.....

I will follow it with great interest!

(on a side note, if you want to see some model railroads in a movie, watch "The great wind"!

Probably the best comment ever regarding model railroads in a movie...)

I stopped watching the programme for it's Railway history pretty much from the end of episode one. I enjoy this sort of historical licence though, I was always a fan of the Spaghetti westerns so rivet counting in this context isn't really a factor. Hope they decide to renew the series

Archived