The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Taken from our office block, you can see that one of the last vestiges of the goods line from Bristol TM to the docks has disappeared, with the demolition of the last remaining section of the brick viaduct that used to carry the line at this location:

post-57-0-69891300-1322774182.jpg

Another view from ground level:

post-57-0-83692300-1322774202.jpg

• Like 1

Blimey, I barely recognise my "home" city these days, The bridge across was still there 15 years ago if my memory serves me correct. Shame the flyover went as well, as getting to bedminster now take a lot longer due to a myriad of traffic lights and roundabouts....

• RMweb Premium

Can't really believe it's been 13 years since I worked on the job to take down the flyover. It didn't do badly considering it was only supposed to be there for a couple of years. All to do with protecting St Mary Redcliffe from traffic fumes and vibration apparently. Oh and the roundabouts were designed to be a choke point, encouraging us all to abandon our cars. No I'm not joking.

We saw some interesting 'activities' in the adjacent Grosvenor Hotel over the year I can tell you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

roundabouts were designed to be a choke point, encouraging us all to abandon our cars. No I'm not joking.

I'm not at all surprised, Andrew.

The words p*ss up and brewery come to mind when it comes to road transport planning in that area (speaking as a former inmate of Avon County and subsequent road user...)

• Like 1

Can't really believe it's been 13 years since I worked on the job to take down the flyover. It didn't do badly considering it was only supposed to be there for a couple of years. All to do with protecting St Mary Redcliffe from traffic fumes and vibration apparently. Oh and the roundabouts were designed to be a choke point, encouraging us all to abandon our cars. No I'm not joking.

We saw some interesting 'activities' in the adjacent Grosvenor Hotel over the year I can tell you.

Am I right in thinking that the flyover was reused somewhere else?

I seem to recall BBC Points West covering its removal.

Was it manufactured in Darlington?, the firm then still being in business, and not being surprised at its longevity.

cheers

You should see what they've done to the bus stops in Bristol!

On some routes bus stops that used to be set into the pavement to allow traffic to pass a stationary bus have been drastically altered. Now the pavement bulges out into the road at bus stops, so that a stopped bus completely blocks the traffic whist picking up/setting down.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not at all surprised, Andrew.

The words p*ss up and brewery come to mind when it comes to road transport planning in that area (speaking as a former inmate of Avon County and subsequent road user...)

I work in Plymouth and have a house in Bristol. The traffic in Bristol is horrendous and a (relative) joy in Plymouth.

Great shots of that area, and agree with Fray's photos they are fantastic, and he's a fellow Dowendian too.

Neil

You should see what they've done to the bus stops in Bristol!

On some routes bus stops that used to be set into the pavement to allow traffic to pass a stationary bus have been drastically altered. Now the pavement bulges out into the road at bus stops, so that a stopped bus completely blocks the traffic whist picking up/setting down.

Build-outs are quite common in a lot of places. They allow the bus to load people who can't manage a step/gap between the kerb and the bus, while still allowing parking before and after the stop. The alternative would be to remove maybe ten parking spaces to give the bus room to pull in and line up with the kerb - and then a lot of motorists ignore the law and don't let the bus pull out of the bay anyway.

The bus is probably taking several dozen cars off the road, so it deserves a bit of consideration sometimes.

• Like 4

Fray maybe a miserable old reactionary but his photos certainly tell a a tale.

My father and (second) family lived in Bristol from the early 1960s until the early 2000s. I spent years there on and off for holidays and family events. I must have seen all those changes take place but, of course, you don't notice these things when they happen around you.

I seriously doubt I could find my way round the city these days...

steve

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking that the flyover was reused somewhere else?

I seem to recall BBC Points West covering its removal.

Was it manufactured in Darlington?, the firm then still being in business, and not being surprised at its longevity.

cheers

No. It got scrapped. There was some talk about it going to overseas charities for emergency bridges etc, but nothing came of it. Can't remember if it was Cleveland Bridge but you could be right.

Yes we did have all the tv crews there when we closed it and lots of the general public who wanted to be the last to drive over it. That privilege went to a chap who was one of the first to drive over it in the 60's. Didn't stop lots of people trying to be the last though, including an open topped bus full of male strippers trying to do the Full Monty live on the local news. I can remember the PR consultants with their heads in their hands. :mosking:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Didn't stop lots of people trying to be the last though, including an open topped bus full of male strippers trying to do the Full Monty live on the local news. I can remember the PR consultants with their heads in their hands. :mosking:

Excellent, quite excellent! :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

I was not sure if it was permitted to take buses across the steel flyover to St. Mary Redcliffe roundabout but before they closed it I drove an empty double decker over it one Sunday morning when the traffic was light around Temple Meads. Usually it is a nightmare and I avoid the area these days.

We used to have family living in Hotwells and I watched the trains and Bristol City Supporters using the rail track from the goods shed at Cannons Marsh to Ashton Meadows.

I thought that the goods shed could make a terminus for a train service from Temple Meads to the The (Tramway) Centre but the route along the main line to Parson Street and then through Ashton, across the railway swing bridge near Junction Lock Bridge was a bit around the houses. An option could have been to use the goods line to Redcliffe and then ontoe the goods line that runs between Cumberland Road and The New Cut to Cumberland Basin near the Underfall to get onto the line from Ashton and then go alongside Hotwell Road to the terminus. Not easy but where there is a will and enough money most schemes can be made to work. In the years of nationalisation with the Tory road lobby out to destroy the railways, and ships still being built in Charles Hiil's yard, it could not happen. Too late now because the track bed is either demolished or built over.

I was not sure if it was permitted to take buses across the steel flyover to St. Mary Redcliffe roundabout but before they closed it I drove an empty double decker over it one Sunday morning when the traffic was light around Temple Meads. Usually it is a nightmare and I avoid the area these days.

Once,after one of the Bus Rallies at Cannons Marsh, the gentleman driving our ex Plymouth Corporation Leyland PD2 took a wrong turn (he said at the time that he always took his car that way and just forgot what he was driving!) and sailed over the "tin flyover".

I in our other vehicle, a Bristol L type single decker was obliged to follow him. It was somewhat alarmng to see how close the lamp posts were to the roof of the high bridge (14' 3") bodied double decker.

We never took that route again.

• Like 1

I watched the ..... Cardiff City Supporters using the rail track from the goods shed at Cannons Marsh to Ashton Meadows.

On some of my many trips across the river for Severnside derby matches ..........................

A lot further to walk from train to ground than it was when we used to visit 'The Gas' and infiltrate the 'Tote End'

See, there's more to life than railways !

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Ah Bristol.

I suffer from the "focussed spotters view" of a lot of major towns and cities and Bristol is one of them.

What I mean is I'm familiar with the main station and the routes to the engine sheds but little else.

Maybe the footie grounds.

So I've yet to explore the normal "delights" of Bristol itself.

A treat to come at some stage no doubt!

• Like 1

I think the railway bridge was the one pictured in post #3 in 1978. The one that went in (around) 98 was a road flyover crossing over the roundabout just down from TM, probably about where the photographer was standing in to take that picture.