• Please log in to reply
741 replies to this topic

#726 Great Western

Great Western

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 23:30

Its looking like 5L01, 1L01 will be the first train off Temple Meads later.

#727 Great Western

Great Western

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:39

Temple Meads workstation signed in at 0359hrs.

First train 5C36 Cardiff to Bristol Temple Meads.
First passenger train 1L01 Temple Meads to Paddington formed of two 800 units.
  • Informative/Useful x 3

#728 blackpete

blackpete

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSutton Bridge

Posted 04 April 2018 - 21:24

I was told by a NR signalling man last week that the Power Box will remain in use for the foreseeable future because it will still be needed for a bit of line out towards Taunton. And the plan to re-open the Old Station has been shelved.

I was discussing BTM & the Old Station on Twitter last night and Nigel Harris (Rail Magazine) got involved. He hadn't heard about the plans being shelved. I receeived this reply from him this morning: "Someone said on here yesterday that the plan to put trains back into the disused Brunel terminus at Bristol TM had been quietly shelved. I checked. It hasn’t. Work due to start in CP6 once resignalling complete and PSB is demolished"

• Informative/Useful x 3

#729 Great Western

Great Western

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 23:29

Have NWR got a new Capital One Credit Card then to pay for it all ?

• Funny x 2

#730 Robert Shrives

Robert Shrives

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:38

Well from a TOC point of view it worked on first day which is a improvement on the BPW changeover.  Needless to say the half way platform signals a vast improvement until you want to attach sets. What had previously been a 3 minute operation with 1V51 and 1S49 doubling up became a 15 minute affair with much communication with staff and signallers. Hopefully once all crews, station staff and signallers have had ago - might take two months then time might be a bit less....     

The excitement also a bit much for station staff with a TRTS for the wrong end pushed once as well  adding a few minutes delay while signaller contacted and correct departure signal cleared.  

One cost increase is that no self dispatch possible so dispatchers required for every move. It is also not possible to dispatch a passenger service from one platform to the other end, say 4 to 3  unless a proceed aspect shown at outer end signal, this will cause stacking of following services but does prevent the ding -ding and away issue - which TPWS will stop now given slow speeds now in place.

I do hope funding can be found for getting into old building and adding just one turnout into down through so platform 13 not a bay anymore, always a penny pinched scheme  putting it back into use a few years ago.

Robert  

• Informative/Useful x 2
  • Like x 1

#731 Andrew Young

Andrew Young

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationTutbury

Posted 05 April 2018 - 22:59

Not surprised attaching units took an age, not sure why or how they came up with the method of working that they have?!! Different to any other location we attach with mid platform signals, extends the time needed and seems to be a hangover from getting talked past the crosses in the old layout, negating one of the few advantages of the new signalling!

Mind you, if the trains are parked in the right/wrong places, you can probably attach before getting to the signal...

Edited by Andrew Young, 05 April 2018 - 23:02 .

• Informative/Useful x 1

#732 Downendian

Downendian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationBristol and Dunstone, South Devon

Posted 06 April 2018 - 19:25

A few late 1960s Bristol railway infrastructure slides I've just purchased with copyright from eBay, dated 1969.
Most are taken from the Bath road overbridge outside the depot entrance, a few I'm unsure of the location.
A lot has changed now, but in the 1970s this is how I remembered the Temple meads area, although the hymeks and NBL type 2s had gone.
Enjoy. Neil

IMG_0157.PNG
Bath road overbridge BR depot to the right
IMG_0158.PNG
Malago vale CS
IMG_0159.PNG
Pylle Hill parcels depot taken from BR staff car park
IMG_0160.PNG
Temple meads taken from Bath road overbridge
IMG_0161.PNG
Gantry at Pylle hill
IMG_0162.PNG
Bristol West

IMG_0163.PNG
Gantry opposite Pylle Hill
IMG_0164.PNG
Pylle Hill from BR staff car park

Edited by Downendian, 07 April 2018 - 10:49 .

• Like x 20

#733 101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:42

A few late 1960s Bristol railway infrastructure slides I've just purchased with copyright from eBay, dated 1969.
Most are taken from the Bath road overbridge outside the depot entrance, a few I'm unsure of the location.

Apart from the view looking towards TM, all the others are of Pylle hill/Bristol west/Bristol west gantry appearing to be just before the last resignalling. Plus one view of Malago.
  • Agree x 2

#734 Downendian

Downendian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:50

Edits made to photos to add captions, there is only one where I was unsure of location, labelled "Bristol west"
Neil

#735 Andy Kirkham

Andy Kirkham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:26

Edits made to photos to add captions, there is only one where I was unsure of location, labelled "Bristol west"
Neil

It's just a little further towards Temple Meads than the one labelled Gantry at Pylle Hill. The main lines run in front of the signal box and the avoiding line runs behind it, under the arch that carries the Bath Road. The same arch can be seen in both pictures, as can the white painted block house and the low brick building in the same style as the signal box.

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#736 Downendian

Downendian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:19

Thanks Andy,
Yes I see the roof of signal box can be seen in the foreground of photo 6. Rarely (at least for me) seen views to the west of Temple meads. We routinely visited Pylle Hill though to note the parcels stock present. The station pilot was regularly transiting between Pylle Hill and the parcels bays at TM. Those were the days.
Neil

#737 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31,637 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:31

The gantry shown in the 5th and 7th pictures was always known as Bristol West Gantry and its exact location is (was) Bristol West Junction.

• Thanks x 1

#738 37114

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 07 April 2018 - 18:55

Thanks Andy,
Yes I see the roof of signal box can be seen in the foreground of photo 6. Rarely (at least for me) seen views to the west of Temple meads. We routinely visited Pylle Hill though to note the parcels stock present. The station pilot was regularly transiting between Pylle Hill and the parcels bays at TM. Those were the days.
Neil

Thanks for sharing Neil, the Malago Vale one is of interest for my current layout, the lighting is very different to most of the photos I have seen.
  • Thanks x 1

#739 Corbs

Corbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 19:23

I thought this topic might be the best place to put this...

BHR 40th Anniversary Celebrations (Video)

On Saturday March 24th 2018, the Bristol Harbour Railway celebrated 40 years of operation on Bristol’s Harbourside, accompanied by the Lydney Town Band and of course a cake to commemorate the occasion! 101-year old ‘Portbury’ did the honours, pushing and pulling the freshly-refurbished passenger train up and down all day. What started as a group of enthusiasts, one locomotive (Henbury) and a brake van has seen dozens of changes on the harbourside, with the disused industrial area changing into a vibrant tourist hotspot. Long may it continue to bring delight to passengers, giving a unique experience in UK preservation.

• Like x 9

#740 Tim V

Tim V

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationC.U.B.A. Counties that used to be Avon

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:10

Not quite from 1978, but from 1979.

Wapping Wharf 16 September 1979 OM1 180-010.jpg

• Like x 5
  • Agree x 1

#741 sparks

sparks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 April 2018 - 18:15

Is it me, or do the train describers around Bristol now bear little resemblance to reality since the Easter resignalling...?

#742 dmsmith

dmsmith

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 21:41

Is it me, or do the train describers around Bristol now bear little resemblance to reality since the Easter resignalling...?

It’s not you ... Trains now creep into the platforms and right along to the ends. Last minute changes of platform, often after the train has arrived, are the norm rather than the exception. I stood at the far end of platform 12 with the relief driver of my train home to Exeter St David’s tonight as we watched it come in on 6. It was the same the night before, and doubtless will be tomorrow. It’s now so far to walk that it was a good 10 minutes before everyone had got on the train. That’s enough for a train to lose its path. I’ve decided to loiter in the tunnel until the train arrives.

Big sigh ...
David
  • Like x 1