Traction and Traction Modelling issue 201

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

As TRACTION magazine now includes a 9 page model section plus model related advertising, our moderator has kindly allowed TRACTION MODELLING a slot all of its own instead of just being included with other magazines. Many thanks!

TRACTION 201 has just been published. Subscribers will probably have their copies by now and the shops will have them over the next few days - they were in my WH Smiths on Friday.

The contents of this issue are:

TRACTION MODELLING

Rhyfeddodau Cymru – Welsh Wonders

Paul Lunn puts forward a suggestion for a combined home-based and exhibition layout

Model Box

Paul Lunn looks at the detailing possibilities that signal boxes present

Heljan Class 55 in O Scale

Jeff Nicholls review this magnificent model

And for those with an interest in the prototype:

TRACTION

The ‘Westerns’: Should they have stayed?

Colin Boocock asks whether keeping the class in service could have saved BR buying 70 new locomotives.

Western Experience

Garry Morris tells us about his first week working as a second man on ‘Westerns’

Carlisle – ‘The Night Shift’ Part 1

Stephen Rabone finds himself fascinated by night operations at Carlisle in the 1970s.

37s, 47s and Semaphores at Inverness

Martin Axford spends time at Inverness in 1986

Going Loco to Llandudno.

Gary Stroud looks back at locomotive haulage on the Llandudno branch

Diesel Driver Experience Day

David King tells us about the day he won the chance to drive a class 37

1962 Review of the Year – Part 1

J Crosse looks back 50 years at progress on the BR Modernisation Plan

The PWM shunting locomotives

Andrew Turner decided to hunt down these departmental shunting locomotives before they were scrapped.

• RMweb Premium

Got my subs copy a few days ago - very good, as always.

I'm sure I must have read this somewhere but I can't recall it - will there be an annual coming out for next year?

No there will be no annuals. We are concentrating purely on producing an interesting bi-monthly magazine, which we hope will be published more frequently in 2012.

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the Carlisle at night article - great detail on the various workings through the station in the early '70s - brings it all to life in my view, with loco numbers and headcodes all listed.

When I first started train-spotting (in around '74) I took down headcodes instead of loco numbers, but by the time I got my first IA Loco Shed book (couldn't afford a Combine!) I was doing numbers properly, though by then (1976) they were all TOPS (although the book listed pre- and post-TOPS numbers).

Nice issue - and good all round.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed the Carlisle at night article - great detail on the various workings through the station in the early '70s - brings it all to life in my view, with loco numbers and headcodes all listed.

When I first started train-spotting (in around '74) I took down headcodes instead of loco numbers, but by the time I got my first IA Loco Shed book (couldn't afford a Combine!) I was doing numbers properly, though by then (1976) they were all TOPS (although the book listed pre- and post-TOPS numbers).

Nice issue - and good all round.

cheers,

Keith

The Carlisle article seems to have sparked off quite a lot of interest. In the next issue 202 I will be looking at a night in 1987. This will include a lot of detail about the changes from the 1970s - Speedlink through the station for instance plus full timetable details from the Working Timetables and formations of all the overnight passengers services. And to go with this is an absolutely superb collection of photographs. I'm afraid that you'll just have to wait a couple of months though!!

I'm still looking for photographs of the Penmanshiel diversions through Carlisle and also the Glasgow Fair holiday trains that ran at weekends in the 1970s.

• RMweb Gold

I'll look forward to the next Carlisle installment.

With the Traction Modelling section this issue I was taken back to 1982 by the layout theme, with its Welsh focus and Dovey Junction...

In Autumn 1982 I had managed to persuade my best friend Paul (and more significantly Paul's mother) to take up what I think was called a 'North Wales circular' day ticket. This involved a round trip from my (then) home town of Coventry, through to Porthmadoc via Brum and Shrewsbury, including a trip over the then newly-completed Ffestiniog Railway through to Blaenau. Heading from there down the Conwy valley to Llandudno Junction, it was onto Crewe, then back south to Cov.

I had my trusty old Boots 126 camera to record the adventure - I was aged 14 - though as an avid spotter why I failed to record much of what I saw I do not know. One out-of-the-window shot I took simply has scrawled on the back "Class 47 between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury", while the driver of the DMU from Dovey Junction allowed me into the cab, another photo opportunity. By the time Paul and I got to Blaenau it was dark - so no pictures of what hauled us from Llandudno Junction to Crewe, or numbers taken - I wish I knew! Another 47 perhaps?!

Sometimes, a single issue of 'Traction' hits a number of nostalgic memories of mine - and so it is this time, not only with the Cambrian line featured in Traction Modelling but also the photos featuring Llandudno Junction by Garry Stroud: that shot of a shining blue Peak - terrific.

cheers,

Keith

Archived