First Dabblings in O Gauge - Perry Street

cromptonnut

Crompton

I built Canton and I'm not a member of the gauge O guild. I joined for a year about 4 years ago and never renewed my subscription. I just didn't really get any benefits from it.

Ranelagh Bridge is going to be mostly my work with the exception of a few bits.

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you have come up with sensible plans and being part of the Guild is a simple matter of choice I joined some years ago. There was a time when the Guild was a major factor in keeping things going by the time I joined it was a lot easier but the Guild was a big part in the growth of 7mm modelling. I like to flatter myself that in my years as editor of the gazette I helped. However it also was very beneficial to me and I met and was befriended by a lot of very good modellers. In those days there was no RMweb so the Guild provided much companionship. These days things are different so the benefits are probably less. To me it was always about the comradeship and I have found plenty of that on RMweb but I value my friends from the guild.

Don

Glad to see you have come up with sensible plans and being part of the Guild is a simple matter of choice I joined some years ago. There was a time when the Guild was a major factor in keeping things going by the time I joined it was a lot easier but the Guild was a big part in the growth of 7mm modelling. I like to flatter myself that in my years as editor of the gazette I helped. However it also was very beneficial to me and I met and was befriended by a lot of very good modellers. In those days there was no RMweb so the Guild provided much companionship. These days things are different so the benefits are probably less. To me it was always about the comradeship and I have found plenty of that on RMweb but I value my friends from the guild.

Don

By and large I agree Don.

For a cash strapped modeller, such as I, the Guild was - and still is - a source of second hand models and kits.

I have also met many really great people via the Guild and its events and indeed learnt a great deal about the market place too (where to buy the right bits and bobs at the right price) etc.

The late great Jack Ray was the fellow who encouraged me to join up.

My first two wagon kits (from a Gazette advert.) were new old stock and unbuilt and were for a transhipment siding on my then fledgling 0-16.5 layout 'St Anne's on the Hill' (now on the backburner) and our Down Ampney project just grewed from there.

I very much like the Gazette, not every article is of subject matter which applies to my/our modelling, yet I find something of interest in most modellers' work and ideas.

ATVB

CME

By and large I agree Don.

For a cash strapped modeller, such as I, the Guild was - and still is - a source of second hand models and kits.

I have also met many really great people via the Guild and its events and indeed learnt a great deal about the market place too (where to buy the right bits and bobs at the right price) etc.

The late great Jack Ray was the fellow who encouraged me to join up.

My first two wagon kits (from a Gazette advert.) were new old stock and unbuilt and were for a transhipment siding on my then fledgling 0-16.5 layout 'St Anne's on the Hill' (now on the backburner) and our Down Ampney project just grewed from there.

I very much like the Gazette, not every article is of subject matter which applies to my/our modelling, yet I find something of interest in most modellers' work and ideas.

ATVB

CME

I too like the Gazette for three principal reasons. First, the content is guaranteed to be all 7mm scale and contains good, descrioptive writing as well as pictures. Secondly, the extensive advertising of 7mm scale products in one place is very useful. Thirdly, it still feels like our magazine. The big, commercial monthlies have become very professionalised with retained staff and professional model-makers and fewer contributions from amateur enthusiasts. Some are also, dare I say it, a little tabloid in their presentation. However, they must respond to market conditions so this development is, perhaps, inevitable.

However, in all the thinking that has come to pass in the last month or so have made me realise that the biggest problem is wanting to achieve too much in the space I have available, as with the best planning in the world I'm not going to fit decent length O gauge trains in a 12ft space..

I'm not sure that a change of scale will have any affect on the former, but I must concur with the latter - You aren't going to run decent length trains in 24ft either, not if you want them to go anywhere.

I'm in a similar kind of space myself at the moment - I've enjoyed building my 7mm collection, but I can't seem to make the required jump to building a loco. It's not that I don't think I could do it, but it's the £350 and then at the end of it I will have a model that could chuff up and down a 7ft piece of track - doesn't quite stack up - not when you can get a 2nd hand OO tank engine for £35 on ebay and vans for £4 rather than £65.

Must admit, the concept of picking up cheap 2nd hand stuff and then knocking it about/detailing with after market parts has an appeal, along with the fact that you can actually design something quite absorbing in 7ft by 2ft in either OO or N......

I think the attraction to the larger scales is to do with their 'heft', (their size & weight).

(The smaller scales just don't do anything for me, they lack 'prescence'.)

On the other hand, Gauge 1 may be a bit big for an indoor layout, (unless it is something like a shunting puzzle, or a small terminus).

Luckily, narrow gauge trains are often very short, so a 16mm NG layout could be built indoors, say, 14ft x 2ft.

Still many options, as long as you like short trains.

• RMweb Gold

A lot depends on want you want from a layout. If you like to see them run and hanker after big engines with long trains you do need quite a bit of room for 7mm even in 4mm it takes a fair space. However if you like a bit of shunting you can have an interesting layout in 7mm in 10ft. If you enjoy building models rather than running them a small diorama will suffice. However for me the presence of 0 gauge is very satisfying.

Don

• 3 months later...

One of my pals remarks regularly when provoked with the "scale, gauge & cost" question that you spend just as much on a 7mm layout as you do on a smaller scale one - the outlay depends mostly on the area of the layout - if you model 7mm, you might have three half-relief buildings, two locos and 6 wagons, whereas in N gauge, you have most of St Pancras in the same area...

I think he's right, up to the point where you end up with 4 locos fighting for space on the layout and another 9 in the glass cabinet...

one day I'll have the layout that they deserve!

best

SD

Yes, the cost per sq ft claim is all very well until you need just one more loco and it's a big jump in outlay!

With regards to smaller layouts with shorter trains, there are many ways of filling a given space with railway. Somehow, urban environments lety you get away woth more but it's still frustrating when you really want another siding but the track would need to be suspended on cantilevered scaffold 4ft above the carpet - ! My preferred solution would be to enhance the operational feel of the layout by building-in signals and prototypical maneouvers that can include the 'pretend' areas beyond the layout. This has been done quite convincingly on some of the layouts I've seen or read about.

Although my experience of DCC sound is very limited, I consider this to be the icing on the cake for a small layout. It seems to be better suited to slower running layouts with plenty of stops/starts.

Cromptonnut - I think you already have a head start :)

Jon

Holy thread resurrection Batman...

Well the layout trundles on slowly (very) but I think I'm starting to get somewhere, at last.

I realise with 14ft to spare unless I was working in N gauge (which is incredibly tempting still when you look at layouts like "Banbury") I am never going to get "decent length trains".  But then again as my fleet currently consists of one loco, a handful of wagons, and an "in bits" Bachmann bubble car I don't need to be too worried.

As this is my first layout in O gauge, I fully expect to make loads of mistakes that will get some of you experienced people rolling on the floor - but it's a learning curve and I will get there in the end.  Honest.

• RMweb Gold

As they say the man who hasn't made a mistake hasn't made anything. Glad to hear you are progressing.

Don

edit to remove a stray s sprogressing just didn't look right

To be honest this thread is redundant as the ideas have changed quite a lot since it started, only the use of a class 33 remains the same really :)

I had seen the competition(s) but at the moment SWMBO has only given permission for one model project at a time and some serious (ie expensive) bribery would be required to get the ok for something else - even though I have several ideas being mulled over.

Archived