Bristol - model railways?

Tim Hale

Bristol-

Is it me or is there a paucity of decent shops catering for model railway in Bristol?

I don't consider the box-shifter in Portishead to be in Bristol but I was hoping for something better than just ModelMania in St Georges. Is Richard's in Yatton the only good model shop?

Wasn't there a shop off Gloucester Road or has it ceased trading?

Tim

It depends what you classify as a good model shop, and what you are looking for.

I classify ModelMania as a good shop despite the fact he does not carry the bits and pieces I look for as a P4 modeller.

Brian (?) carries a good stock of ready to run and detailing scenery parts, and has obtained a few items by special order for me. He is also very helpful.

Antics in the centre is part of the chain. They are worth a browse for the Exacto stand, milled brass section and miltary paints.

The model aircraft shop on the Wells Road (Harburn Hobbies?) carries a good range of glues, assorted plywood and other useful materials.

Hobbycraft at Cribbs shopping centre charges top price, but does stock Greenscenes and foamboard as well as Hornby.

I know I cant get P4 wheels and other bits over the counter since Chris Challis from Shepton Mallet retired, so I buy at shows or by mail order.

Often the cost of postage is cheaper than the bus fare in Bristol!

I belive that the Gloucester Model Warehouse is now based somewhere to the north of the city.

I would say that what we have in Bristol is better than some other areas.

Gordon A

Bristol

It depends what you classify as a good model shop, and what you are looking for.

Gordon A

Bristol

Good as personified by Chris Challis. I will give Richard's a try but I was hoping for better news on the model shop that was somewhere on Gloucester Road. Currently, my 'local' model railway shop is East Somerset and the internet.

Tim

There used to be a good shop in the Gloucester Road, called Model Highways. It was taken over by Howes of Oxford, ran for a year or so then closed for good, about 15 years ago (or more). Almost opposite was Nobbies Hobbies, mostly diecast and Airfix, but did stock Hornby, and there was Bailies Dailies in Brislington, which was good while it lasted, but both these are now long gone.

Yes, Model Railways Direct in Portishead is a box-shifter really, but they're very good prices, and quite well stocked.

Richards Railways is quite a good traditional shop, but it's small (ie. cramped), and well-stocked, but at least it's all model railway based, as in no Airfix, Scalextric etc.

Modelmania's not bad, but he's got far too much dicast stuff for my liking.

Gloucester Model Warehouse used to be in Filton, but is now in Yate, another small shop, but they've got a lot of non-railway stock.

Antics in Bristol is sadly less into model railways than it used to be, more into radio controlled stuff.

And we now have a new Modelzone in the Galleries. I was in and out in about five minutes. Top prices too!

That's all I can think of for now.

I feel that this remark is derogatory and wrong. It is just a personal opinion and dangerous. I have used Modelmania for a number of years and always found them helpful. Their stock is varied and good and they are always willing to order items in.

Good as personified by Chris Challis. I will give Richard's a try but I was hoping for better news on the model shop that was somewhere on Gloucester Road. Currently, my 'local' model railway shop is East Somerset and the internet.

Tim

Gordon and Coppercap have covered all the main shops in the Bristol area and surroundings but there is also a shop on Filton Avenue [ Filton end ] that is mainly aircraft and radion controlled cars but also stocks some K&S metal, plastics, some tools and paint [not humbrol].

Robin

• RMweb Gold

Gordon and Coppercap have covered all the main shops in the Bristol area and surroundings but there is also a shop on Filton Avenue [ Filton end ] that is mainly aircraft and radion controlled cars but also stocks some K&S metal, plastics, some tools and paint [not humbrol].

Robin

Thanks for that

I had been wondering if there was a continent local source of metal strip, will give them a try

Modelmania also sells K&S metals as well as Plastrut. All in all I can echo the views of 40F and say the shop is normally well stocked and the owners Bryan and Judith are very helpful. It is a welcome change to find a well stocked shop these days and a local one to boot. :good_mini:

If Antics in Bristol is anything like the one in Coventry then they should be able to get almost anything you could wish for!

I know it's nice to be able to call in and look at things in the shop, instead of looking online and then going in.

Coventry was my local shop before moving, due to there not being a shop of much use near me, I now look on Anticsonline.com before calling the shop to order what I'm after and then collect it next time I'm passing through.

Well I think we can all remember the modellers haven called Max Williams which sadly closed about 15-17 years ago. All the bits and pieces you wanted. The reason it closed no sales for them so I suspect a lot of model shops not just Modelmania have tried to stock the smaller detailing bits but found that they did not sell or that slaes dropped off over the years as ready to run models got better, people left the hobby and also people dying off. The average of Railway Modellers is not young and todays youngsters are no where as interested as previous generations for one the Railways are not as interesting. Just because a shop does not stock "the 2mm rivet heads for an SERF 0-6-0 " does not mean to say it is not well stocked. The comment does appear to have been written in haste without thought.

The above is a general observation.

• 2 years later...

Slightly further out, there is the South Gloucestershire Model Warehouse in Yate, good selection of kits, boxes of 'bits' etc

South Gloucestershire Model warehouse has now closed. Something else is in it's place. Anyone know when it closed?

• 3 years later...

To make matters worse for Bristol area modellers, just come back from Modelmania which is closing down and going online only from 7th July this year :-(

O! C@&p my local shop going, I say local even though I live near the west Somerset railway, it is/was the nearest at 56 miles away worth opening the door on, Collett models going the other way is good but has no bits at all perhaps the chocolate loving girls down Axminster way are where I am going to have to go next, throuble is as a prefer to see then buy type I have no reason/excuse to go that way unlike Bristol

To make matters worse for Bristol area modellers, just come back from Modelmania which is closing down and going online only from 7th July this year :-( 

Do you know if they are still going to attend exhibitions and toy and train fairs?

There is still Brunel Model Railways. This used to be Richards Railways at Yatton but has renamed and relocated to Clevedon Craft Centre, about 5 mins from J20 on M5.

I've not been there myself.

Brunel Model Railways

I believe Richard of Richard's Railways retired so sold the shop in Yatton to another Richard, who renamed it Brunel Model Railways (first Richard wanted to keep the name...) and later relocated to Clevedon. Richard of Richard's Railways actually remained in business, of sorts, but he only attended toy fairs and exhibitions, but I've not seen him at any for about a year, so not sure if he's still going.

In the area, don't forget there's still Model Railways Direct in Portishead. 

Richard of Richard's Railways actually remained in business, of sorts, but he only attended toy fairs and exhibitions, but I've not seen him at any for about a year, so not sure if he's still going.

In the area, don't forget there's still Model Railways Direct in Portishead.

At last years Burnham on sea show Richard was saying it was his last "do" haveing run down the left over stock that was not bought by the new Richard who took over his shop , so I believe he has now put his feet up, and maybe getting to do some Modeling

OK so MRD are near Bristol but you can't compair this box shifter with the lost likes of Max Williams, Bailies Dailies/ kemp models, Bristol is now a Desert of any kind of model shop not trust trains, not that it's any better living near taunton

There is still Brunel Model Railways. This used to be Richards Railways at Yatton but has renamed and relocated to Clevedon Craft Centre, about 5 mins from J20 on M5.

I've not been there myself.

Brunel Model Railways

Who I think has changed his trading name to N Gauging

At last years Burnham on sea show Richard was saying it was his last "do" haveing run down the left over stock that was not bought by the new Richard who took over his shop , so I believe he has now put his feet up, and maybe getting to do some Modeling

OK so MRD are near Bristol but you can't compair this box shifter with the lost likes of Max Williams, Bailies Dailies/ kemp models, Bristol is now a Desert of any kind of model shop not trust trains, not that it's any better living near taunton

Right, he said he'd kept his Bachmann account going, but I guess he's probably had enough now!

I agree, there'll be nothing left after Modelmania closes, to compare with the likes of the wonderful Max Williams, Bailies Dailes (or even Model Highways). Antics are still OK for some materials and tools, but they don't stock nearly so much railways stock these days.

I only mentioned MRD as while it is really only a (new-ish) box-shifter as opposed to a traditional model shop selling all sorts of things connected to the hobby, at least you can still visit the shop, see the stock, and come away with what you've bought. But yes, there's no comparison.    

I only mentioned MRD as while it is really only a (new-ish) box-shifter as opposed to a traditional model shop

Disagree.

I take it you've been? Because if you have, you'd know it's stocked floor to ceiling with all sorts of kits and bits and bobs related to model trains. Furthermore it's staffed by a chap who spent two hours with me trying to see why my Hornby tts and lenz weren't friends, knowing that:

- I hadn't bought the 31 from him

- I hadn't bought the tts from him

- I hadn't bought the lenz from him

So I think you're being hugely unfair labelling the shop in some pejorative way as simply a "box shifter"

Archived