RMWeb Taunton Members Day 2012 - full line up now announced!

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick "feelgood factor" postscript - a big "Thank You" to Chris of Kernow Models - I mentioned to him that I'd broken the whistle off one of my Beattie well tanks, and he sourced the necessary part from a spare/damaged body and it's on its way.

Excellent service - nice one!

• RMweb Premium

Is Brazil further away than Australia?

Not by a long way

www.mapcrow.info gives the straight-line distance between:

Taunton - Rio de Janeiro = 5656 miles

Taunton - Melbourne = 10629 miles

Not by a long way

www.mapcrow.info gives the straight-line distance between:

Taunton - Rio de Janeiro = 5656 miles

Taunton - Melbourne = 10629 miles

I am closer than that to Taunton. Most annoying bit is the 4 hours flying to Rio from where I live, to get the cheap flghts to UK.

• RMweb Gold

I am closer than that to Taunton. Most annoying bit is the 4 hours flying to Rio from where I live, to get the cheap flghts to UK.

You might also struggle to beat Rick in terms of anecdotes about the effects of wildlife and weather on your layout ;) . At least I don't have to clear possum poo from my trackwork...

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while now since Taunton and I have finally been rescued from the flood waters encountered on departure therefrom. A whimpering, soggy Gwiwer was found washed ashore downstream of the Beam Bridge Hotel somewhere in deepest Devorset!

In truth I made it back to the holiday cottage outside Holsworthy but not without having to drive through two feet of floodwaters. Thank goodness for diesel-powered hire cars! On such a filthy day for weather it was wonderful to find so many had made the effort and enjoyed the day.

I am just one of those. The reaction to my own display was very positive and my thanks are due to all those who offered feedback of any kind. I had it put to me that Penhayle Bay might be among the largest layouts anywhere built and operated by just one person as oppsed to a group, club or combined effort. It has certainly set the bar in terms of most-distant layout to be represented at an RMweb event.

Since Taunton I have spent two months in the UK including an extensive tour of the mortal remains of SR lines west of Okehampton. In due course I shall be able to post a link to a gallery once the several hundred images are sorted, edited and captioned. This may provide a valuable modelling reference for what remains a popular area and one in which any trace of a former railway is fast disappearing. I also managed a short ride from Okehampton to Meldon on the 2H thumper.

• RMweb Premium
Hope you're already planning for 2015!

Oh goodie - an evening session!!!!! Quarter past eight at night is so much more civilised than having to get out of bed in the morning ;) And the pubs are open.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

True. Beam Bridge Hotel is just on the Somerset side of the border. I was however heading west at the time back to my hidey-hole on the other border namely that between Devon and Cornwall ;) "Downstream" is back towards Wellington at that point but once over the watershed just up the hill it's downhill to Exeter.

Archived