RMWeb Taunton Members Day 2012 - full line up now announced!

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I am delighted to announce the line-up for the 2012 Taunton Members Day on Sunday 29 April 2012.

7mm scale layouts

‘Wadebridge 1860s’ by Phil Eakins. Phil is no stranger to the Taunton Members Days, and this is his new 7mm layout, which made it’s exhibition debut at the Wimborne ‘0’ gauge exhibition in October 2008 and featured in a series in the ‘Railway Modeller’ in January 2010..

post-57-0-56160700-1330034323.jpg

‘Marc Smith's new minimum space O gauge shunting yard’ – yes the indefatigable Marc Smith is back again with a new 7mm layout, and yes, this is the official name he has given me for this posting! Marc says it’s a diesel-era shunting yard with basic stabling facilities ‘and a crude attempt at a humorous name’…

4mm scale layouts

‘Hythe Parkway’ by Simon Paley (aka ‘St Simon’). This super layout needs little introduction to regular followers of RMWeb, being an OO modern Southern Region layout with preserved engine shed and has been published in the September 2010 issue of Railway Modeller and in Model Rail in June 2011 - http://www.rmweb.co....e-parkway-blog/

‘Orchard Road’ by Richard Slate (aka ‘Mudmagnet’) – modern image diesel depot in the BR blue era and recently featured in the model press - http://www.rmweb.co....e/page__st__475

‘Yard Shunter’ by Ray Norwood. A rural goods yard based on B.R. steam/diesel era featuring superb scenics and DCC control - http://www.rmweb.co....__1#entry418991

‘Chillington Basin’ by Andy York. This is Andy’s new project based in the Black Country and centred round a canal interchange basin. Andy would like to stress that this is presented as a ‘work in progress’ - http://www.rmweb.co....ountry-buffalo/

‘A diorama of Netherhope Halt and Tidenham Tunnel on the Severn and Wye Railway (formerly known as 'Project W' ) by John Farmer (Re6/6). John describes this as an experiment in diverse materials and methods, using variously 'Woodland Scenics' and 'Auhagen' sea moss trees and pieces, an assortment of different length & colours of grass fibre applications using both the original 'Noch Grasmaster' and the later 'Green Scene/Flockit' machine. The use of different glues, hairsprays and photograph fixative. Experiments in tree making, using methods from Gordon Gravett's excellent new tree making book and in other ways. The use of various mosses and lichens with flocks and coloured dust affixed. The use of sprigs of erica (heather) 'Davids Gold' variety as a basis for Lombardy poplar trees and other types of fir trees. The scenic basis of the diarama was made with 'Celotex' insulation material grabbed from a skip, glued down with non-solvent grab adhesive and carved to shape and then covered with the excellent 'Sculptamold' which was recommended on RMweb and covered with ripped off hanging basket liner as the scenic base. The rocks were fashioned from some old Maritime/Monterey pine bark picked up a few years ago and put in the 'useful box'! If the viewer looks closely no two areas are made in exactly the same way with the same materials.

Some photos of 'Netherhope Halt' can be seen in post 141 on this thread.

2011 Challenge dioramas – we currently have five such dioramas confirmed as attending, from BlackRat and Stubby47. There may well be room for a few more, so if anyone feels like turning up with a 2011 Challenge Diorama, please send me a PM.

And last, but by no means least in the 4mm section, we present the ‘SWAG Modular Layout’, organised by Chief Modular Man Stu Hilton (aka ‘Stubby47’). Many folk will probably have been following developments here - http://www.rmweb.co....2-swag-modules/

Most of the smaller hall at Staplegrove will be given over to the modular layout this year.

2mm scale layouts (or smaller!)

‘Squeeze Belly Lane’ by ‘DevonDynosaur’ - an inglenook shunting puzzle depicting an urban small goods yard during the BR modernisation era, with new light industry mixed with Victorian warehouses, brick viaducts and cobbled yards.

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

New layout in 2mm finescale by Simon Howard (Mr S Corn78) – Simon has also been a regular supporter of the Taunton event, and is returning with his new 2mm layout so we can see what progress he has made since last year!

‘Micro ZOB’ by Brian Harrap. Brian is no stranger to the Taunton Members Days, with his brilliant continental creations based around the mythical Z.O.B. system, set ‘somewhere in Europe’ (or, as Brian puts it, ‘wherever you’d like it to be, in Europe!’. This one is a small ‘Z’ scale layout based on an ironing board, which we haven’t seen at Taunton before.

Displays and demonstrations

‘Ouse Valley Viaduct’ by Rod Cameron and John Farmer (10800 & Re6/6) – this is otherwise known as Balcombe Viaduct, a massive project in P4 that is now well underway, having made an appearance at Scaleforum in Leatherhead in September 2011. A portion of the viaduct 8’ in length (the Brighton end) now returns to Taunton to enable us to review progress, especially on the scenic side - http://www.rmweb.co....elewes-project/

Kernow Model Railway Centre – something new and a bit special this year, Chris Trerise of KMRC will be attending with a display of current and hopefully some of the forthcoming special/limited edition models, such as the excellent Beattie Well tank

Southern buildings demonstration by Bill Jones, who returns to Taunton with some more of his splendid 4mm scale S.R. creations

4mm gardening demonstration by Tim Hale, who will be demonstrate how he constructed his excellent station gardens, as seen here - http://timhalesblog....ch/label/Garden

2mm finescale modelling demo by Pixie and Bryn. The 2mm F/S crew return with more delights to amaze us with. As ever, they will be happy to discuss all aspects of 2mm finescale modelling.

Our friends at British Railway Modelling will also be attending the event with a stand and all the latest news.

Retail therapy

Due to the unfortunate illness of Dave Harding of The Model Shop, Exeter, Chris Trerise of Kernow Model Rail Centre has kindly agreed to beef-up his presence with stock for sale, as well as the display of Kernow special edition models.

Catering

The Delightful Ladies of the catering team will again be working hard in the kitchens to keep us all fed and watered. We are anticipating the usual selection of delicious pasties, home made cakes and other refreshments.

And finally…..a special treat repeated…

For anyone who is coming to Taunton on the Saturday evening, the Taunton Model Railway Group have again very kindly invited all RMWebbers to visit their clubroom at Bishops Lydeard station on the WSR between 1700 hrs and 1900 hrs on the Saturday evening (28/4/12), and to look and perhaps even ‘have a play’ on their brilliant masterpiece ‘Bath Green Park’.

After the visit to ‘Bath Green Park’, those who wish will retire to The Cross Keys at Norton Fitzwarren for a meal and a beer or two…

Edit 29/3/12 - to update details of 'Project W' to 'Netherhope Halt'

Edit 05/4/12 - to add details of BRM attending with a stand

Edit 24/4/12 - change in retailer attendance

• RMweb Premium

Looks extremely enticing. It would be a shame to miss it given that I'm over in the UK at the time but fitting the trip into both diary and budget is proving a challenge. A lot will depend upon what advance rail fares I can find.

‘Project W’ by John Farmer (aka ‘Re6/6’). This is a mystery layout, even to me, and John will only describe it as ‘a scenic experiment set in South America’….

Hmmm ... so that's what he told you ...

• RMweb Gold

Looks to be another interesting & varied lineup :good: I certainly intend to be there in my usual role of "enthusiastic onlooker" (ie lazy g*t who hasn't done anything again.... :no: )

Glad to see Marc Smith is making another appearance - I was beginning to think he was missing in action.... ;)

Hi

Sorry to ask this. If i wanted to stay somewhere near to where the show is, where is the best place? I had a look at the travel lodge like somone mentioned but rooms are £55. Can anyone recommend any where because would be nice to join everyone on the saturday evening :)

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Just confirming the Sat night:

1700 - meet at the Taunton Model Railway Group's HQ at Bishops Lydeard for a viewing/possible 'play' with Bath Green Park and Tamerig Central

1900 - depart Bishops Lydeard and go to the Cross Keys, Norton Fitzwarren for beer and food

• RMweb Gold

Pasty enthusiasts will be happy to know that I have found a new (and local to me) source of excellent pasties, two of which were subjected to rigourous testing today by me and CTMK under strictly controlled conditions..... ;) :D

Archived