Cumbrian Region Area Group (S4 Society)

clecklewyke

C.R.A.G. started life a couple of years ago as our local Area Group of the Scalefour Society. However, we have grown to include modelers of several gauges who live in Cumbria and North Yorkshire, who enjoy a good lunch, good company, good modeling and operation. We are widely scattered and our diversity of interests makes it unlikely we will ever undertake a group project, so we meet about ten times a year in each others’ houses.

This month was my turn as host, so after an excellent lunch at the Crown we spent the afternoon operating Bradford North Western. This is a P4 terminus to fiddle yard U-shaped layout largely filling my 20’ X 10’ railway room. It takes as its premise the fiction that the LNWR eventually extended its branch from Dewsbury via Birstall to Bradford, where it built a four-platform terminus in the late 19th century. The layout features the terminus (Bradford North Western) and a small through station (Clecklewyke), and will eventually also have an MPD and sorting sidings. I will write more about these plans later but for the moment let’s concentrate on what CRAG did on Wednesday.

I have built up an operational schedule with a wide variety of trains - mostly stopping passenger trains to various destinations, but also parcels, local goods trips which combine to make up longer distance workings and even a crack express - the Bradford portion of the Yorkshire Pullman - just two cars pulled by a scruffy tank engine, absolutely true to the prototype! The timetable is as true to 1950s reality as I can make it, and is based on the real operations of the L&Y side of Bradford Exchange in 1954. Compared with today’s intensively worked multiple units, 1950s operation seems remarkably inefficient, with long lay-overs of trains in platforms and much light engine and empty stock working.

When CRAG comes round, each member of the team is given his own role - either as a signalman or loco driver. We aim to mimic real railway operation as closely as possible so drivers have to obey the signals and the signalmen communicate with home-made block bells. When things are going well the room is silent, apart from the ringing of block bells but it must be admitted that things are rarely perfect and much fun is had as mistakes are made - but that’s how we learn to get better.

If you live in Cumbria or North Yorkshire and are interested in fine scale modeling - not necessarily in 4mm scale - you will be warmly welcomed by CRAG. Please do contact me to find out more.

Pictures of Wednesday's activities will follow.

As promised, here are some photos of Wednesday's operating session.

post-4908-0-88873100-1323692454_thumb.jpg

Phil in complete command as fiddle yard "bobby"

post-4908-0-30720700-1323692543_thumb.jpg

Calder Valley set passes LNWR coaling stage

post-4908-0-36235600-1323692591_thumb.jpg

Bob and Stuart ponder a complex move

post-4908-0-12898000-1323692646_thumb.jpg

David "on the footplate"

post-4908-0-68619600-1323692698_thumb.jpg

Stuart still ponders

post-4908-0-35068200-1323692791_thumb.jpg

Bob thinks he has the answer

post-4908-0-50881100-1323692883_thumb.jpg

J50 arrives with trip from GNR yard

post-4908-0-86146600-1323692937_thumb.jpg

Pug shunting Clecklewyke yard

post-4908-0-40239900-1323692991_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's it, Bob

• 7 months later...

We had a successful meeting on Thursday, with eight attending, including visitors TomF and Tim from RMWeb who brought some fascinating examples of their work on large LNER locos.

Bob Hetherington brought a wonderful model of a Stockton and Darlington 2-4-0 and Phil Tuer one of the Cumbrian Railway Association's collection of Bill Shillcock's beautiful Furness locos. We enjoyed our excellent lunches in the sun at the Crown and al fresco afternoon tea with glorious views of Addleborough (a poor man's Ingleborough).

Oh, and we also got through most of the timetable on Bradford North Western with Tim and Phil demonstrating their expertise on the block bells.

Because we are widely scattered (from Carlisle to the north via Windermere to Aysgarth in the east) and are mostly retired, we have decided to meet on the second Thursday of each month, with occasional visits to exhibitions and other layouts on Saturdays. Typical meetings comprise a pub lunch followed by an operating session.

Although essentially an area group of the Scalefour Society, we comprise modellers in P4, EM and OO gauges. Do contact me if you would like to join us.

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

The next CRAG meeting will be at my house in Wensleydale on Thursday. Any fine scale modellers in the Cumbria or North Yorkshire areas are welcome. We meet for a pub lunch followed by an operating session on Bradford North Western.

Here is a picture of a recent arrival at Gormley Junction MPD, awaiting the road to Bradford North Western for the evening residential express to Southport. Judging by its cleanliness, it is fresh from the paintshop, and it would appear that Bottom Chapel works has been using up its stock of the large monocycling lion logo which by 1958 had normally been superceded by the ferret and dartboard.

post-4908-0-01613500-1347269588.jpg

In reality it is a Hornby model with replacement P4 Gibson wheels and still needs a lot of detailing and weathering. But a simple conversion and a very nice model.

• 5 months later...

Dear all, back on track, the next meeting will be at my house in Wensleydale on Thursday 14th March, when we will have another operating session on Bradford NW. Here is Stuart, signalman at BNW, in pensive mood.

post-4908-0-46136500-1362387953.jpg

Humber Dock will also be on display, by then just about ready for Scalefour North. Either that or I'll be a gibbering wreck!

Although we are notionally an area group of the Scalefour Society we are not alll members of the Society and are catholic in our tastes, with members who model in all major 4mm scales - and none - so anyone in the Cumbrian or North Yorkshire Dales are is welcome to join us.

We meet at noonish, have a pub lunch, and then return for an afternoon operating session, punctuated with lots of good chat and refreshments.

Ian

Archived