Flickr ERNIE's Railway Archive Unknown Locations

Irishswissernie

This year I have acquired from various sources over 10,000 negatives/slides. Amongst these are approx 6000 rejects from a well known Transport Archive. I have now scanned these and there are a fair number which I cannot identify.

I have accordingly uploaded several hundred to my Flickr Account split into UNKNOWN LOCATIONS collections for the various BR regions.

As my Christmas present to you all, if you are suffering from a surfeit of Christmas Cheer, relatives etc over the next few weeks, please feel free to have a go at identifying them. Just add a comment to the appropriate photo (s) .

Thanks

Ernie

Loving these. In fact, I have a suggestion where this might be:

http://www.flickr.co...57628402135439/

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I moved it to put it into the LNWR Collection and now I can't find it!

Found it! It was just a tester to make sure everyone is awake - HONEST!

Do I have to have a Flickr account to add comments? (Western Region b080 is Aller Junction)

Yes unfortunately, I can pick up answers from this thread however.

regards Ernie

Thanks Ernie,

I had been contemplating signing up anyway, and now I have.

cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/6504760549/in/set-72157628401098369/

I know Beast has beaten me too it but that bridge arrangement is spot on for Oxford.

Of note is what looks like an aerial coal lift (like in Get Carter!) in the background which should narrow it down for those of a knowledge of collieries and suchlike... I don't know about any in the WR though (I could be wrong).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/6505129761/in/photostream/

Of note is what looks like an aerial coal lift (like in Get Carter!) in the background which should narrow it down for those of a knowledge of collieries and suchlike... I don't know about any in the WR though (I could be wrong).

That one's in the LMR set I think and I have a nasty suspicion it may not have been too far from me but I can't pin it down.

Oh brilliant stuff, had a quick glimpse at the first 10 pages, and came up with these engine shed possibilities

b396 & 430 Guildford

b887 Burton On Trent

b781 Cricklewood

b536 Basingstoke

b552 Nine Elms

b401 Feltham

b398 Southall

but I wouldn't say I'm 100% certain.

This year I have acquired from various sources over 10,000 negatives/slides. ..... . I have now scanned these ......

Ernie

Can you tell us what equipment you used to scan B/W negatives.

I have a Canon Pixma 3000 from which I can't get usable B/W scans (colour slides are OK!), and a dedicated unit recently sold by Curries (and others)for about £75 has had some bad reviews.

I have about 200 negatives to scan, or suggestions of other means of retrieving welcome

• RMweb Gold

Righto by the numbers on your site (and I'm not bothering to link all this lot!)

b061 - same pic as b461, see below

b080 Between Newton Abbot and Aller Jcn

b240 Worcester shed

b352 Newton Abbot

b383 Up Relief Line at Southall East Station looking eastwards

b 398 Southall shed

b445 Westbury Middle, train on Down Main Line

b459 Up Main lIne just east of Fairwood Jcn train heading towards Westbury

b460 As b459

b461 Westbury Middle looking towards Westbury South

b530 Oxford Station North looking North (also linked above)

b626 I'm fairly sure is Princes Risborough north end looking north

b676 Southall Shed

b790 Southall Shed

b797 I think is Worcester but not absolutely certain.

• RMweb Gold

48460 b117

http://www.flickr.co...157628402135439

Is this Oxley?

I think not - I am fairly sure that it's Oxford (looking south towards the station. Look at the big bracket signal in the left hand background then look at the view below identified as, correctly, Oxford which is a view from the north end of the platform looking north with the same large bracket structure in the background.

Can you tell us what equipment you used to scan B/W negatives.

I have a Canon Pixma 3000 from which I can't get usable B/W scans (colour slides are OK!), and a dedicated unit recently sold by Curries (and others)for about £75 has had some bad reviews.

I have about 200 negatives to scan, or suggestions of other means of retrieving welcome

[

I use an Epson V700 Photo Scanner. This will scan up to A4 size negatives/photos individually or you can use various holders to scan up to 24 35mm negs or 12 slides automatically. You can also digitally clean the material or colour correct items. (The 90 plus Isle of Wight slides I have just added to Flickr had all been rejected originally due to colour shift) Price is around £400 on Amazon

Another quick run through the unknown list I've come up with these possibilities, I won't put them in my flicker account as I'm not 100% certain as I'm relying on approx. 50 years memory.

b224 Cricklewood

b385 Willesden

b523 Toton

b571 Annesley

b779 Watford

b881 Oxley

b447 Stewarts Lane

b458 Brighton (certain)

b601 Ramsgate

b572 Oxford

b240 Worcester

b676 Southall

• RMweb Premium

photo b300

don't know the loc, but 1A41 in the WTT 1962/63 from napier-chronicles.co.uk is the 'anglo-scottish car carrier', 11.48 edinburgh-holloway

from then up until 9/1966 it's the 11.40 edin-holloway (cars)

from 9/1966 until 3/1967 it's the 10.05 perth-holloway (cars)

i think these are newton-chambers TCVs in maroon, so would date it from 1962 - whenever the TCVs got blue/grey

b235, although not a railway pic, is definitely st. andrews, probably taken from the top of st. rule's church, looking north

Archived