Flickr ERNIE's Railway Archive Unknown Locations

Irishswissernie

b320 and 324 foxing me. Feel that I should know both, but I can't place them where I think they ought to be... grr

(thanks keefer for confirmations)

b320, with cranes in distant RHS, four-track mainline, tenements to LHS makes me think of the Glasgow-Paisley mainline looking west. Can't find anywhere that fits, but the M8 construction possibly swept it away.

b324's church spire should give it away. Can't place it though.

b320, with cranes in distant RHS, four-track mainline, tenements to LHS makes me think of the Glasgow-Paisley mainline looking west. Can't find anywhere that fits, but the M8 construction possibly swept it away.

Jamie, I don't think b320 is Glasgow-Paisley. I don't remember tenements that close to the line, or the high retaining wall, even before the motorway. I'm not sure it's a 4-track mainline. Look at the far end of that rake of coaches - I don't think there's an engine on it. Also, the signal in the middle distance, just beyond the engines, is to the right of the track they're on. I know that's not conclusive, but I think it refers to the track to their right. Together, I think that shows the two right hand tracks are probably double track, and the left hand tracks are either loops or another double track.

However, I have no definite suggestions of where it is. (Just noticed the second tenement building from the left has a flat roof - there can't have been too many of those.)

Many thanks for your replies, I have edited the photos accordingly. I have an idea that Scottish B324 is Aberdeen but I can't find a photo to confirm it! Ernie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/6504562013/in/set-72157628400523613

That domed tower was bothering me - It's Motherwell Station in B324 http://en.wikipedia....lwayStation.jpg what a hunting down that took....

‘45079 + Glasgow Electric 303 where’ in the Scottish photos is at Glasgow Eastfield shed. The structure on the right is the remains of the old manual coaling stage.

b583 and b576 are at Bellahouston. There is a picture taken from almost exactly the same position on page 132 of 'The Book of the Jubliees'.

(I think b574 and b396 are also at Bellahouston, but I'm not sure)

I think b249 is the north end of Stirling (CR) shed - anyone agree/disagree?

b735 in the ‘Unknown Locations – London Midland Region’ is Basingstoke. The train is coming off the Reading line.

b223 in the ‘Unknown Locations – Southern Region’ is also the east end of Basingstoke.

I think b909 in the ‘Unknown locations – LM region’ is just south of Tebay. I think the bridge in the picture is where the A685 went under the railway, before the bridge over both the railway and the motorway was built.

I think b238 in the ‘Unknown locations – Southern region’ may be Basingstoke station, but I’m not sure about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks for your help in identifying Locations.

Over 2000 images have been uploaded over the last few weeks . There are new sets covering many narrow gauge locations (all pre-preservation) and steam era BR , Chester & Holyhead, Somerset, ex LSW, also Aerial views in the North East from the 1920's.

Plus several others.

regards Ernie

May I suggest a few more, although still not 100% sure, it was a long time ago!?

from the Southern collection

b225,b902,b959 all Basingstoke

b217 Eastleigh

b753 Feltham shed - east end.

b897 Reading West curve

b571 Oxford ( sure that number has been used before, on another region)

• RMweb Premium

b334

mount melville station looking north, goods yard on left.

possibly between 1949-54 as referencing pics in oakwood press no.149 'anstruther and st. andrews railway' p.95, shrubbery at the station frontage and sidings present in a 1949 shot, but by 1954 the whole area has been tidied up.

notice the round emblem on the wall (between the two windows just in front of the loco)

train will be heading south to thornton jn. on the fife coast line via anstruther, leven etc.

b595 has OLE masts being erected, so doubt it is Llanfairfechan

Wondering, if that road off to the right isn't the A82, the town visible being Milton, and the electrification being the North Clyde system heading out to Dumbarton and Helensburgh?

Edit:- yep, looks like it'd be taken from just beside where the Dunglass roundabout is (these days at least).

Wondering, if that road off to the right isn't the A82, the town visible being Milton, and the electrification being the North Clyde system heading out to Dumbarton and Helensburgh?

Edit:- yep, looks like it'd be taken from just beside where the Dunglass roundabout is (these days at least).

I agree, Jamie. I think that new trackbed in the centre of the picture is the connection put in between the ex-LNER lines on the left and the ex-LMS lines on the right as part of the Glasgow North electrification, just west of Bowling. The hill in the backgound would be Dumbuck, much smaller now as a result of quarrying!

Archived