Harford Street Mk IV

L49

Good evening all.

I have finally got around to pointing a camera at the new Harford Street home layout. At the moment the only section looking anywhere near scenic is the station and it's immediate environs.

post-8704-0-76531000-1323892505_thumb.jpg

We will start the tour just east of the station with a shot of 48602 rolling back towards Bow with an empty coal train. The street level building is visible behind the loco, with the down side exit partially obscured by the advert hoarding. The houses to the right above the cutting are some of the first to be built from the 1951 archive shots which we discovered in the LMA. As far as the station area is concerned we now have photos of just about every building which would have adjoined the line.

post-8704-0-96544400-1323892601_thumb.jpg

Once the train has cleared, we walk under the main road bridge, and bang off a quick shot looking along the platforms from under the building. The stairways are taken from the drawings for South Bromley, as is the platform building on the left. The platform building on the right is taken from the drawings for Old Ford. The general setting of the station is based on Old Ford, with the buildings recessed into a part brick part grassy cutting.

post-8704-0-37022100-1323892863_thumb.jpg

Walking along the island platform (down main no.2 and down relief no.3) we turn to look back at the up side platform building. This is the one taken from Old Ford. The street level building visible in the distance is also taken from Old Ford, which was one of the most compact stations on the NLR. It was designed by the company engineer, Thomas Matthews, copying the style of the appointed architect for many of the bigger stations, Edwin Horne.

post-8704-0-94774300-1323893008_thumb.jpg

Now a view of the west end of the island platform buildings. It was finding the complete set of architects drawings for South Bromley in one of the archives that led to this whole layout re-development project. There is only one photo known showing under the canopy at South Bromley, and that is pretty awful, so this is as close a we will ever get!

post-8704-0-57766100-1323893086_thumb.jpg

Finally we have walked right to the end of the platforms under White Horse Lane bridge, and looked back towards the station buildings and the box. The bridge across the platforms carries Floreston Street which was swept away in the mid 1950s. The house on the side nearest the camera is one of the new builds, the ones over the road are off the old layout, just to give an impression of depth. They are going to be replaced, probably by Christmas. The signal box is another structure off the old layout, and is taken (as so much of this lot is) from Old Ford, even down to the horrible colour it was painted(!) The building on the island platform just beyond Floreston Street bridge is the old Gents toilet block which used to stand at the north end of Shoreditch NLR station.

To see some of the prototype inspiration, take a look at Nick Catford's disused stations website, (links below).

http://www.disused-s...ord/index.shtml

http://www.disused-s...tch/index.shtml

• Like 19

What he said above but can I just add that the "Virol" advert "kick started" a whole bunch of memories with me from when I had Measles and Whooping Cough at the same time - the cure included both Southend Pier and Virol!

Is it still available?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not many trains on view, but in reality it doesn't need them. Truly amazing

That's the whole point! Those mobile things that whizz around on a circle of track just get in the way of the modelling.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

At long last, I've just finished the huge, but derelict Coliseum Cinema, which used to stand on the south side of Mile End Road, just west of its junction with Harford Street. It wasn't the easiest job and its rear elevation is the most uninspiring thing I've ever modelled but hopefully I'll grow to like it eventually! All being well I'll gets some phots of it up early next week.

• Like 3

At long last, I've just finished the huge, but derelict Coliseum Cinema, which used to stand on the south side of Mile End Road, just west of its junction with Harford Street. It wasn't the easiest job and its rear elevation is the most uninspiring thing I've ever modelled but hopefully I'll grow to like it eventually! All being well I'll gets some phots of it up early next week.

Huzzah!!! Look forward to seeing it in the morning!

I'll have to come and have a look at this one, Jimmy. On another note, the fence posts are in right along the derelict platform on the Harford Street exhibition layout. I've threaded the barbed wire temporarily but it isn't glued yet. We need to decide how we are going to handle the board joint.

Carefully! :O

Did you get any piccies?

I forgot the camera. I bought several reels of different SWG wire today because the wire supplied by Ratio is in short lengths and its too heavy a gauge to thread properly. Once I had stretched to wire out straight and cut it to length, it was a piece of cake threading it through the fence posts.

Edited by Baby Deltic

My favourite building is still the school, Jim. Having seen it in the flesh, it is awesome. I like the theatre aswell, and I don't think it looks out of place. I know you had your reservations because the decorative bit faces the backscene, but it looks the part. Those derelict shops have come out nice too. Did you use that brick rubble we bought at the Colchester show for the debris inside the shops?

You're right about the rubble. In the past I've tried various means of producing something which looks authentic, and even tried breaking a real brick into small fragments, but the stuff we found at the Colchester Show is the best yet. I think it is intended to be ballast, although if that is so I have no idea of the scale, as the chippings are decidedly large. Still, I can definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to give an impression of broken bricks and, if I remember correctly, it was very reasonably priced.