DC01 Brakes after 1948

boeing757

It's a nice illustration of a common solution to the "right hand lever" requirement of the 1911 BoT Order, however the article creates confusion by getting the dates wrong. The 1939 Order mandated the requirement that brake could only be released from the same side of the wagon as that from which it had been applied. The classic Morton arrangement complied, having clutches on both brake levers, but the GW cross-cornered brake did not, as both brake levers worked together and the brakes were held on by a single ratchet operable by either lever. Quite why the BoT insisted on that I don't know.

On the matter of the kits, the Coopercraft wagons have brakes more typical of what should be under the Peco wagons, and vice versa. The only snag is that Peco won't sell the mouldings separately.

Jim

But doesn't the DCIII allow release from either side?

Therein lay the cause of its downfall - on a wagon with DC brakes, of any type, you could apply the brakes from one side (let's call that the A side), then go to the other (B) side of the wagon and release them. What the 1939 Order required was that if you applied the brakes from the A side, you could release them only from the A side. The Morton arrangement, and variants thereof, such as those with slotted lifting links, comply with the 1939 Order.

The critical requirement of a compliant design is that the brake shaft, to which the shoes are coupled, is not coupled directly to either brake lever. On both sides, the brake lever is effectively loose on the shaft, with the mechanical connection being via a one-way coupling - either the Morton clutch, or the slotted link. Thus, if the A side brake lever was depressed and pinned down, the clutch/link would cause the brake shaft to rotate, applying the brakes. The B side lever simply sat there, and even if it was subsequently depressed, it could not alter the fact that the A side lever would still be holding the brakes on.

Jim

Jim, Miss P, as Richard has pointed out in post # 25, these 3 plank wagons were not DC brake fitted but had more traditional lever brakes like those on the iron mink in the link in post # 28 (at least I think they are based on Richard's description in post # 27).  Quite a minefield.  I've shortened the wagon by 6" (to 15' 6") and I'm now working on the non DC brakes.

All very confusing but I think I'm getting there.  I just hope no-one upsets this apple cart.

I did find one of these kits for sale all built up: https://www.themodelcentre.com/7015TMC-1/ It has clearly been assembled IAW with the instructions.  It has levers for DCI but brake push rods for the long lever brake system.  Barry Norman reviewed a Coopercraft wagon in MRJ 174 and he rebuilt the push rods to be correct for DCI.  The builder did a nice job of building the kit.

It's all good fun.  :jester:

John

T'is a pity no one has posted a photo of this model.

The GWR inherited thousands of 3 plank wagons from the Welsh Railways. A diagram for TVR ones shows numerous lengths. Including in these was a batch of 100, with independent brake, built by Turner just before Grouping. Some of these lasted until the late 1950s. The Wagon register corrects the length to 16ft oh.

Paul

Hi Paul, yes, I would have liked to see a picture of the actual thing, they were probably extinct when you were taking the photos.  I posted a link in post # 32 to a built up kit but this doesn't really reflect the actual wagon.  I got corroboration for the length and brakes from a picture of an etched version of this wagon:  http://www.raymondwalley.com/wagons/gwr/3plank.html#.WW_WoFiouUk 

I'd have been better off doing that I think.

It also occurs to me that the 3 plank wagon is Off Topic for this thread.

John

• RMweb Premium

Just one comment about Morton clutches. It has take me nearly 70 years to realise that there was one each side of the wagon. One is prominent but the other is no bigger than a normal lever end bearing, so is not noticeable. Fortunately it means it doesn't need to be modelled.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished construction of the 3 plank having spent most of last week building a layout board.

35466817233_0b185e1249_z.jpgP1010001-002 by John Kendall, on Flickr

Brakes were modelled after the photos of the iron mink in the link in post # 28.  You can't tell in the picture but I used some etched push rods and made them from parallel bars as they should be.

I decided to persevere and modified the supplied buffer housing for springing.  I'm quite pleased with how this came out.  I had a set of Slaters buffers.

The kit has a plastic coupling hook and dreadful looking links.  I used a Parkside 3 link coupling.

Safety loops are phosphor bronze 1mm strip as are the brake lever guides.  Brake levers are from my scrap box.

35466816823_83c3b50ef3_z.jpgP1010002-002 by John Kendall, on Flickr

Note the single brake on this side.

36137702561_aaf20ae37a_z.jpgP1010003 by John Kendall, on Flickr

I've weathered the interior to try to make it look like used natural wood.  I started with Polly S Concrete but any cream colour will do.  I then used rust, umber and black powders.

The kit doesn't have much interior detail.  Bolt heads are blobs of PVA.

BTW my friend dropped off some wagon books.  There are few pictures of 3 plank wagons taken a century ago - I couldn't see any knee braces.

John

Nicely done.

The interiors of these wagons generally don't have much detail - unlike mineral wagons, merchandise wagons normally keep the ironwork on the outside so as not to get in the way of the load. That is also why you couldn't see any knee braces - the body knees, as they are termed are on the outside, originally as forgings from flat bar, and later as angle or T sections.

Jim

Right Jim, in many pictures I've seen the triangular braces under the body overhang and bearing against the solebar.  In pictures of 3 plank wagons that I could see in the book, there were no braces.  Perhaps they were a later addition.

John

• 2 weeks later...

For completeness here is the wagon lettered and weathered:

36507284035_cca8289dfc_z.jpgP1010012 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36460938116_ebe3d61c97_z.jpgP1010011 by John Kendall, on Flickr

I start with a light dusting of earth and follow with a light coat of black using my airbrush.

I use three powders; rust, umber and black and layer these.

I start with rust on the axleboxes, springs, brakes and solebar.  I then follow up with umber in the same places but also on the metal fittings of the body.  Finally I apply black to finish off.  Powder is one of those things that you want to be careful not to use too much of.

I used the fiberglass pen to polish the buffer heads and rub a bit of the weathering off the black patches carefully (I reckon these would have got a clean now and then).  I also rubbed the weathering off the brake handle, again this would have been kept cleanish.

I used a silver pencil to highlight the door pins.

John

Very nice, although I wouldn't overdo it in terms of polish/cleanliness on the details. The rings on the door locking pins may have got work with handling, but burnished steel is quite dark in colour, and periodic use of the brake handle, much of it involving the use of a brake stick, will no trub much of the dirt off. Railway dirt is quite tenacious stuff.

Jim

• 2 months later...

Martin, be VERY careful with CC brakes as supplied.  They tend to be neither one nor t'other.  As you may have read I had a great struggle with these.  My advice is to look carefully at the photos and, if you have it, read Barry Norman's article in MRJ 174.  Firstly make sure your wagon actually had DC brakes, my 3 plank didn't, notwithstanding the parts supplied.  The brakes on the 3 plank are independent, there is no cross shaft.

Not

Archived