59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

Cheers Ian

I'm slowly coming round to the windows, did another building last night,which i thinks ok,be time it gets weathered and detailed,maybe a couple of window boxes with flowers or weeds or even a marij****

plant,if i can find photo's of one!!!

post-13979-0-70436400-1343232495_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-14541200-1343232513_thumb.jpg

these are suppose to be flats/appartments in old converted industrial buildings!!

I'm starting to get the bug again,may do the other buildings tommorrow night

Ray

• Like 2

Got a roll on now

SWMBO didn't need my service to night after all, so did the other buildings,seeing the layouts suppose to be based in the late 60's early 70's,thought i do some sixties psychedelic coloured blinds and curtains

post-13979-0-65758700-1343244342_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-38951500-1343244359_thumb.jpg

there are a couple of empty appartments,which i will have for "let signs" hanging out of the windows,the bottom floor warehouse windows, will have boards across the bottom half of the window

now to design the window for the last 2 factories,might have them all done by the weekend!!!

Ray

• Like 2

Dear Ray,

Love the "Truncated spur" and grassed-in road-crossing flangeways! Any hints as to technique for the flangeways?

The "train popping out between buildings" aesthetic is a look which never gets old for me... ;-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

PS would love to see that same scene shot from "scale eye height", say scale 5-6' above the roadway? ;-)

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
  • Like 1

Prof klyzir

we aim to please,here's a couple of shots as low down as i can get.(knee high to a grasshopper)

post-13979-0-49755300-1343283293_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-28750700-1343283318_thumb.jpg

These shots show up the gap under the build,once all the detailing/weathering is done the buildings, i will be fixing them down and the gap fill/covered up

Nothing technical about the flangeways,good old filler/pva/grey emulsion mix,when its about set i run a old lima coach bogie back and forth (lima wheels have deep flanges),once its dry clean up with small pointed blade/screwdriver

Then paint and weather, when everything is dry,i float pva in the grove and cover with grass,think it look reasonable,may be to green,but i can add another colour when i putting the final details on the layout

Ray

• Like 2

Got another building done to day,the one to the right of the pictures

Then had a bit of a play to check clearances and that (any excuse to play trains) took a couple of photo's of #9101 going up the spur to the cement plant,then coming back with a string of PS2 hoppers

post-13979-0-32132300-1343316316_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-89635400-1343316331_thumb.jpg

Next up is the windows in this factorys,gon'na try them with opening lights

post-13979-0-35581100-1343316534_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 1

Nick

bit of modellers licence

i'm sure there would have been industrial buildings in the 60's/70's converted somewhere

there is only one of the buildings that is actually a warehouse,the rest are suppose to be like tenement blocks,which you see by the railroads in down town areas (i think he says,having never been there!)

Ray

All buildings have windows now,started adding detail and weathering to buildings,first done was the concrete building,needs a bit more detail around the door area also needs water tank painted, then will after think of a name for it and what it ships out,crated stuff probably?

Don't think it looks to bad so far,maybe a thin brown/black wash just to tone it down,not sure?, will leave it till the rest are done.

post-13979-0-24751100-1343924796_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-78496300-1343924907_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-36089900-1343924977_thumb.jpg

It's starting to look like somewhere now!!,took a photo of #9101 running passed with a cement extra

post-13979-0-83196100-1343925107_thumb.jpg

may start another one tomorrow night,though progress has slowed up a bit with all this sunny weather, it will probably rain now i've said that!

Ray

• Like 4

Managed a little bit more over the weekend,mainly weathering and a little detailing to two buildings,still a lot more detail to do, need to build a woodern fence for the back of clinton cigars,then i'll need a bucket full of crates.

post-13979-0-36564700-1344258943_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-05115400-1344258980_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-23754600-1344259054_thumb.jpg

i'm gonna try one of Gaugemaster N gauge sky papers behind my buildings,just to see if it will help make the scenes have more depth!,done some of the background buildings at a smaller scale,not to sure about it,may look better with sky behind them.

Ray

• Like 5

Not so, Dave - Derek ships internationally, but you need to email him to confirm total cost with shipping. He is away till Wednesday, This is his 1:87 laser-cut wood DHC-2 Beaver kit - (at least my cack-handed attempt at it for my current layout build that is based on an S gauge layout from MTI-34 - drastically modified!)

post-6688-0-43303800-1344271963.jpg

He lists some good things on his site http://www.osbornmodelkits.com

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Jack

Thanks for the link,was thinging about getting some crates a little bit closer to home,there are quite a few different sized one's in OO,don't think it will matter!

Being playing about tonight ,trying to find away to finish the road end at the back of the layout,this is what i've come up with,nothing glue down yet,got to wait till sky paper is fixed,i'm quite happy with the result,with a little bit more detailing in front,road signs etc,think it's gonna look ok! what do you think??

post-13979-0-64552700-1344368441_thumb.jpg

going shopping next week while i'm on hols for some sky paper,it's been a bit of a bu***r get on here lately keep getting SQL,don't know if it's me or what??

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Ray

Its looking superb. You certainly have got the feel of such a city locvation as I would have expected to have seen it.

Preiser do crates but not a cheap alternative though.

I think Kinghtwing do a pack with them in aswell which might be a better option.

Have a look on Gaugemasters website as I think they do both - certainly remember seeing both in their shop in the past - its our 'local' shop if you can call 50 miles local but we are in there more often than other shops nearer us!!

Ian

That end looks very good, Ray - Your "Urban-ness" works very well

Still a bit far away, but Item number: 380459625250

Closer to home Woodland scenics do some and have UK distributors HO Scale Assorted Crates #A1855

Good selection shows putting HO scale crates into Ebay.com

Edited by shortliner

Loft conversions were available in NYC in the '60's. Think Warhol. They were very reasonable too but the outsides still looked crappy. They were not tarted up much - in fact they still aren't (the ones near railroads anyway...) For "good" in mostly original condition tenements nowadays look around Yankee Stadium in the Bronx particularly behind the parking lots.

They will all have window A/C units hanging off them (a literal multitude). Only the most expensive Loft Conversion would have internal central A/C with the exchangers located on the roofs.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Luckily the basic design of the window A/C units have not changed much since the early sixties - the internal side looks a lot different, however...

Is there a US site comparable to Unit Models, Jack? I must say there are some really good on-line retailers in the UK nowadays.

Edited by trisonic