Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll – 2012

Andy Y

Obviously I am not going to spam every Yahoo group I may (or not yet) be a member of to make the following points but I will make them here and make them very clear so there can be no misunderstanding on the basis or intention of the MREmag/RMweb Wishlist Poll.

• You will not be asked to supply an email address when voting in the MREmag/RMweb poll.
  • No other personal data (other than votes made, time/date, IP address and a cookie for your system to negate duplicate voting) will be gathered.
  • Therefore no personal data enabling future outbound communication will be retained.
  • The information sought beyond the model votes (age and interests) solely relates to some demographic/interests for segmenting interest (and not for commercial usage).
  • You will not be asked for ancillary information that has little relevance to what models someone would wish to purchase.
  • The results, as published, will be made available to interested manufacturers and media on overall results with no attribution of who has voted for what.
  • The results will be made available without charge to any commercial body.
  • No specific personal data (because it won't exist) will be passed to The Poll Team or any commercial or non-commercial body.
  • Neither I or RMweb seek to gain any commercial benefit whatsoever from any votes made, information given or results and analysis thereof.

The MREmag/RMweb Wishlist is a poll to assess interest and for The Poll Team to make public information freely available to the manufacturers for the benefit of the hobby.

Ive just recieved an email from this gentleman directly about the Poll too. However, I thought I would look a little futher to see what the Poll is like. The first question that is asked is "We would like to keep your email on record so we can advise you of the Poll next year. Would you like us to notify you next year?" Presumably if you answered No. Then your details would be removed.

Yes you are asked if your email address may be retained. I said yes in different years to three different email addresses so now I get three reminders. So what?

I can't see what the problem is. If you don't want to take part, then don't. But i do, because I can see that these polls do indeed influence the factories (the Maunsells coaches being a case in point).

So here's hoping my annual Collett upgrade request for the innacurate Hornby railroader versionsof the C54 and D95 is successful! Frothing indeed! :D .

• RMweb Gold

Obviously I am not going to spam every Yahoo group I may (or not yet) be a member of to make the following points but I will make them here and make them very clear so there can be no misunderstanding on the basis or intention of the MREmag/RMweb Wishlist Poll.

• You will not be asked to supply an email address when voting in the MREmag/RMweb poll.
  • No other personal data (other than votes made, time/date, IP address and a cookie for your system to negate duplicate voting) will be gathered.
  • Therefore no personal data enabling future outbound communication will be retained.
  • The information sought beyond the model votes (age and interests) solely relates to some demographic/interests for segmenting interest (and not for commercial usage).
  • You will not be asked for ancillary information that has little relevance to what models someone would wish to purchase.
  • The results, as published, will be made available to interested manufacturers and media on overall results with no attribution of who has voted for what.
  • The results will be made available without charge to any commercial body.
  • No specific personal data (because it won't exist) will be passed to The Poll Team or any commercial or non-commercial body.
  • Neither I or RMweb seek to gain any commercial benefit whatsoever from any votes made, information given or results and analysis thereof.

The MREmag/RMweb Wishlist is a poll to assess interest and for The Poll Team to make public information freely available to the manufacturers for the benefit of the hobby.

Thanks Andy,

I will just add that The Poll Team (as listed alphabetically on page 1 of this topic) is neither commercially sponsored nor receives remuneration. You will note that neither Pat nor Andy are mentioned in that list. That is because neither of them has any direct input to the content of The Poll.

Yes, it's a shame that two polls are running close to each other, but all we ask is that if you vote in the first, then vote in The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll from 19 March. You will be able to compare which you prefer.

Oh no!!! Have I just started an idea for a poll to decide which is the best poll!!??

Aaaarrrrrgghhhhhh!

Regards

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team - excluding the 'poll of polls idea!)

I've learned today not to read emails when I get up in the morning. I had 2 emails and thought it was about this RMWeb/MREMag poll so duly started to fill it in, but it was so awfully designed I entered 1 option and gave up. I do feel rather mislead, and have no idea where he got my email from

David

Likewise here, I started to complete the form, but it wasn't immediately obvious how you made your selections, then it was tedious to search, etc. Not very intuitive. I left a suitable comment and left.

Colin

The MREmag/RMweb poll will start on Monday 19th March Manfred. The link will then appear at the head of the site on that date.

The date has been determined so that we know what Bachmann have announced on March 13th to make the options available as current as possible.

The MREmag/RMweb poll will start on Monday 19th March Manfred. The link will then appear at the head of the site on that date.

The date has been determined so that we know what Bachmann have announced on March 13th to make the options available as current as possible.

Thank you for the clarification. From some of the previous posts I thought that the Poll was already open.

• RMweb Gold

Dear All

The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll could well have ‘gone live’ by about now if we had wished.

The difference is that we have deleted from our lists models which have been made from new tooling since around January 2000 and any that have been announced for future production.

By 19 March – just after Bachmann announces its future programme – we will provide you with a highly succinct set of lists of models to choose from. That is what people said they wanted to see.

Regards

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Gold

The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll could well have ‘gone live’ by about now if we had wished.

The difference is that we have deleted from our lists models which have been made from new tooling since around January 2000 and any that have been announced for future production.

By 19 March – just after Bachmann announces its future programme – we will provide you with a highly succinct set of lists of models to choose from. That is what people said they wanted to see.

Regards

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

That is certainly the situation in my case Brian. Knowing something of the the research you and the team have done from your earlier lists, and analysis, of 'missing' locos and vehicles which appeared in MREMag I am looking forward to the poll as an intelligent and well thought out approach to the subject - without the bias, and redundant subject lines, which appeared in the previous version MREMag polls.

I shall not be taking part in any polls as;

• I model the LNWR in the Edwardian period. So far the RTR manufacturers haven't shown much interest in pre-grouping prototypes, nor do I expect them to do so for entirely understandable commercial reasons.
  • I use P4 track standards, so the effort of converting an OO model makes the RTR product of less interest than the kit's already on the market.
  • I enjoy the pastime of making my own models.

However, good luck to all that take part. Some will be delighted by the outcome, some dissappointed. Then will come the wait for one of the RTR manufacturers to react to the results.

Has anyone considered asking the question (as part of the poll) Would you buy a kit for the prototypes of your choice if they don't become available RTR? That would provide some guidance for the kit manufacturers, would it not?

Jol

• RMweb Gold

Hello LNWR Modeller

The purpose of The Poll (after much deliberation!) was set as focusing on what new models people would like to see made from new tooling by the major RTR manufacturers and those who commission models. We considered asking various 'supplementary questions', such as 'Do you use live or dead frogs', 'What magazines do you read', etc etc, but always came back to the purpose.

Although we won't be asking about wheel standards, you may like to know that out of the 950 voters in 2011, 925 stated that they used current 00 RTR standards, with the remaining 25 spread over seven other standards. BRMSB (00 Finescale) was second with 19 voters, and P4 was third with 13 voters.

In the LMS/LMR loco section, the LNWR Coal Tank (Nos.58880-58937) was in ninth position with15 votes (seen in context with the top LMS/LMR loco - the Garratt - at 37). The LNWR Webb Cauliflower was in 18th position with 9 votes.

Regards

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

This might sound like a gripe, and there may be those - there are probably those - who will disagree with me that the North Eastern is grossly under-represented in the matter of ready-to-run models. Especially I'd say locomotives from the regionare under-represented, for instance the J27 0-6-0, Q6/Q7 0-6-0 and K1 2-6-0 classes are only available as old kits. A lot of messing about would be involved, for instance if you tried to rebuild a B1 to a K1! It has been done. There was someone in the Leeds area who did conversions but they weren't convincing. Come on, Bachmann, Hornby - with all your tooling one of these three must be possible!

Just to show willing, the J27 has to be a place to start (Blyth sheds had 27 between them in 1950 and Percy Main had 24, that's aside from the numbers elsewhere, in County Durham and North Yorkshire...

post-14487-0-43585500-1328574620.jpg

the North Eastern is grossly under-represented in the matter of ready-to-run models.

On March 19th you have your chance to vote for a J27 and a K1 and any other alphanumeric you fancy. That's what the poll is for.

The K1, Q6 and J27 were all in the the top 10 LNER items polled last year. The J15 was at the top overall.

Did last year's poll make any difference? I know lead times are out about three years but will people be still commited to vote in strength for a J15 again this year (as an example) and every year until it is produced?

I'm not expecting any answers because mind - reading is not factual either.

Apologies for seeming cynical.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Hello 'alancaster149'

The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll 2012 will show about 90 steam locos in the LNER/ER loco category. 14 of those are 'pure' NER design (so to speak). All the locos you mention are listed.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Did last year's poll make any difference?

Best, Pete.

Hello Pete

I'm afraid I can't answer that question. Poll results are only one element of information taken into consideration by the manufacturers. They have to blend that in with all the other data they receive via individuals at shows; emails; feedback to reps by retailers; etc, etc. Generally speaking, makers do well by supplying what its customers want - but only the manufacturers have the full data upon which to make commercial decisions.

Regards

Did last year's poll make any difference? I know lead times are out about three years but will people be still commited to vote in strength for a J15 again this year (as an example) and every year until it is produced?

The Blue Pullman topped the poll for a fews years running IIRC and Bachmann have responded to that.

Of course I don't think the poll alone caused the model to be produced but I am sure it was one more element in it's favour.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not expecting any answers because mind - reading is not factual either.

Apologies for seeming cynical.

Best, Pete.

Have a look at Post No.92 in this thread Pete - an indication perhaps that all that polls well (or even comparatively well) does not necessarily pass the selection process, although the data given only goes back three years so might not yet be on the manufacturers' radar so to speak.

Mike, Yes "pretty" examples (like the Blue Pullman) will always win out even if they were marginal prototypes.....whereas the J15 represented the largest group of locos in the LNER roster for some years after 1922. Prototypically worthwhile not worthwhile as a rtr. I'll not be voting, anyway.

Best, Pete.

Guest dilbert

Trisonic, Obviously it's your choice of whether to vote or not, but if everyone who would like to see a J15 RTR loco didn't vote then it would be a complete surprise to see a J15 in red/yellow - blue/red box.

Restricted (or marginal) prototype subjects seem to be popular at the moment, e.g. Blue Pullman, Brighton Belle etc... how much of this is due to models ot the prototypes issued 30-40 years ago respectively by Trian/Kitmaster and Wrenn ? If the NER Class EE1 was in the voting list, I'd vote for it - a loco that had an 'original' history - never entered operational service and yet saw NER/LNER/BR liveries before being scrapped. Obscure ? Yes, but I think that appeals to people as well... dilbert

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

Someone should tell the the Eastern Bloc doesn't exist any more and that in any case, there was never a 'k' on the end...

Dave.

Archived