WD Stannier 8F Liveries?

Jack

As ever with questions like this, it all depends when and where. This applies equally to the Austerity/J94's, which were several colours over the years including black, green and blue.

Ignoring lettering and lining, the first WD 8F's were light grey. Later locomotives were black. WD501 at Longmoor was blue lined in red with white tyres.

If you can specify a period and location, I will look through my notes to see if I can find more specific details.

Tony

Evening. Sorry to butt in but this thread caught my eye. I'd be interested to know what livery they were in from September 1940 to October 1941, when some were on loan to the GWR. At the risk of sounding greedy, do you know what colour the LMS owned ones in the 8400-8479 series were when they were similarly on loan between 1943 and 1947?

Thank you,

Mark

Ignoring lettering and lining, the first WD 8F's were light grey. Later locomotives were black. WD501 at Longmoor was blue lined in red with white tyres.

That was the info i was looking for, thanks.

To add to what I said earlier, the situation also seems to depend to a degree on which book you read.

There are photos in Heavy Goods Engines of the War Department Vol. 2 by J.W.P. Rowledge of the Dolphin Junction accident in July 1941, which involved LMS 8293. This locomotive is quoted as WD307 in Rowledge’s book but as WD407 in Allied Locomotives of the Second World War by R. Tourret.

Tourret says that this batch of locomotives were delivered in WD livery but were repainted into LMS 1928 black goods livery. This appears to be confirmed by the photos of the accident.

However, Tourret’s book also has a photo of WD317 near Market Harborough in June 1941 in WD livery and lettering, whilst on loan to the LMS.

Finally, I have notes from an unknown book that quoted Jenkinson and Essery’s book, Locomotive Liveries of the LMS. This says that “8400-79 had numbers painted on the front bufferbeams in GWR style, with no smokebox numberplates”.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Finally, I have notes from an unknown book that quoted Jenkinson and Essery’s book, Locomotive Liveries of the LMS. This says that “8400-79 had numbers painted on the front bufferbeams in GWR style, with no smokebox numberplates”.

Tony

Contemporary photos indicate that some Swindon built 8Fs had bufferbeam numbers painted in GW style (whether or not they all did I simply don't know).

My understanding of them, and I don't know where I got this from so it could well be rubbish, is that they were in LMS livery but, importantly, followed the GWR Practice of numbering and had their numbers on the front bufferbeam as well.

Apart from having a smokebox number and shed plate, that was how Number 307/70307/500/8233/48773 appeared as LMS 8233 when first restored in 1970. I seem to recall some uncertainty as to that livery's authenticity, but we liked it anyway!

• RMweb Gold

Apart from having a smokebox number and shed plate, that was how Number 307/70307/500/8233/48773 appeared as LMS 8233 when first restored in 1970. I seem to recall some uncertainty as to that livery's authenticity, but we liked it anyway!

There is photo in one of the wartime publications (I forget which one off-hand) of a Swindon built 8F with the number painted on the bufferbeam).

Guest dilbert

My understanding of them, and I don't know where I got this from so it could well be rubbish, is that they were in LMS livery but, importantly, followed the GWR Practice of numbering and had their numbers on the front bufferbeam as well.

This is correct - there is an excellent article (along with photos) on the '84XXs' in GWRJ N°51 - the article is called Swindon's '8Fs' ... dilbert

Archived