Shops of the period

Dave777

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I'd be interested to see is the landscape/ townscape outside the fence during the Rail Blue era. For sure the average corner shop, off licence and pub is drastically different in 2012 to how it was in, say, 1982.

I have noticed the recent spate of cheap convenience stores appearing like Mace and others. It set me thinking, what were the equivalent cheap shops when we were last in recession during the seventies or eighties? (later I'll start a thread along these lines, so don't reply here - just trying to get you thinking laterally in the great era of Blue)

Tesco was not as big back then so what shops were there then?

The Peco backscenes I used back then are still available but how contempary were/are they?

though i don't think there were too many shops on them.

scope to add a few?

Tesco was not as big back then so what shops were there then?

The peco backscenes I used back then are still available but how contempary were/are they?

Hi mate, you had the co op gateways rumbellows electrical stores. Obviously woolworths sainsburys, john menzies clement clarkes opticians... that reminds me i need to pop into spec savers :P

Mark.

Don't forget SPAR, MIDLAND bank, Thurstons bakeries, WIMPY, FineFare, TOYMASTER, Morrisons, C&A

Some of these may still be around but I haven't been in the UK since 1993.

Wow! yes id forgotten those, also to mention was hibberds bakeries and B-jams which is now icelands MFI Store

come on chaps help us out ...

Tandy Electronics, more of a choice of your regionalised building societies, mine was the Burnley Building Society, later to become the National & Provincial, Kwik Save stores, Wimpy burger bars, well before the McD's invasion, Littlewoods football pools adverts everywhere, it was the only big money winner back then.

My favourite period was 1966-73. This encompases blue, green as well as steam & diesel. Though I model around 1962 (pre beeching), Blue / Grey came out in 1964 with XP64 stock and D1733 (first blue brush type 4 - later class 47). I can easily forward my layout to 1968, run blue diesels (with the D prefix) & have a few black 5's, standards etc knocking about. Most infrastructure was still extant in steam areas in 1968, so I don't need to change anything.

Favourite blue loco - round headed Sulzer type 2 D5023 (ex Springs Branch) Here she is without the D pprefix.

5023sthelens73.jpg

Supermarket wise wasn't there Gateway and Safeway before Asda, Morrisons and Tesco started taking over the world? Somewhere I still have a Gateway plastic carrier bag as it contains a load of rusty Meccano that I was gifted in the mid 1980s from a shop in Looe (he was throwing out the dross from some stuff that had been traded in and I asked if I could have it).

What about Fosters Menswear, The Leeds Permenant-with ads by Geroge Cole aka Arthur Daley and Liptons?

That's the one! Fosters. Thanks for relieving my frustration.

I was trying to think of the name of a cheap clothes shop that I bought some working shirts from in the 1970s.

I suppose we could add Ratners jewellers, and Jo Lyons coffee shops that seemed to morph into Jolyons then vanished.

And DER tv rentals, I got my first set from there after leaving home - had to add my Dad's name as guarantor. He was not best pleased, maybe I should have asked him first.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Why am I getting a message saying that a post of mine has been deleted as I don't recall posting in this thread ?

Why am I getting a message saying that a post of mine has been deleted as I don't recall posting in this thread ?

I'm getting a message saying my post has been deleted but I still have a post in this thread?

So am I, though I don't recall posting here in the first place! Strange....Normally there post wound be blank and a mod's comments saying why it was deleted too.....is this just a glitch?

Lee

Archived