Great British Railway Journeys - New Series

kevpeo

• RMweb Gold

I've also enjoyed the Ireland episodes as it's something I'm completely unfamiliar with - the mine (at Navan I think) was a real eye-opener. There was another mirror images shot though - the GM loco no. 081 was shown broadside with the numbers reversed as 180 - and the tail on the 1 pointing backwards... :no:

Today we had the explanation of the Triang Giraffe wagon but, unfortunately, no prototype pictures :blink:

Nick

The probability for neck winding-in error caused great amusement here at Deb`s towers!........I`m imagining a stunned Giraffe with a keystone shaped face! :laugh:

There was another mirror images shot though - the GM loco no. 081 was shown broadside with the numbers reversed as 180 - and the tail on the 1 pointing backwards... :no:

And there was I was thinking that they had used an interesting Gaelic font on loco 180.

The Bord na Mona bit was good but it could have easily filled a full 30 minutes of TV. The other year I spent some time at one of the big sites and the staff were friendly (as the Irish are).

The line from Belfast to Derry is an interesting journey ,the section alongside the coast is very scenic part of the world ,Irish railways are a fascinating subject loco hauled trains and modern dmu,s often in stunning scenery.There are quite a few dvd,s around covering Ireland and are well worth a look,video 125 have made a few and are all well produced.

post-214-0-46884700-1328369072_thumb.jpg

Agreed lmsforever, it is a very scenic line. This is the view from the top of the cliffs near Mussenden Temple north west of Coleraine. Train was coming from the Derry/Londonderry direction, and the light was none too good (August 2009).

It's been an excellent series of programmes over the past four weeks (continuity issues and reversed images notwithstanding) and I look forward to another series.

I bet that if you look in you tube for RPSI steam train you'll find much coverage of the Jeep, J15 and others in action throughout Ireland.

The other year I had the Jeep from Belfast to Whitehead and they kept it in steam to shunt the yard the following day.

For anyone looking for Irish content go to TG4 (the Gaelic Irish station) click on archive then documentary and select any programme with "Ianrodd " in the title,

They have just finished a series of four weekly programmes which I recomend, but please remember to allow for the fact that they are short of archive film so some sequences are repeated!

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the name of the aquaduct featured in one of the episodes?

I would be ever so grateful for a reply.

Thank you guys,

Kathleen

The aqueduct that carries the Lancaster canal over the river Lune is in one episode if that's the one you mean.

Archived