background noise for "sound" layouts

Piemanlarger

What are those folks using sound using, if at all for background noise?

Are there cd's one can buy RTR or is it a case of somehow making your own?

If so, what have you used to make your own background noises?

What systems do you use to run the sounds, pc synced to parts of the track by some sort of detection system?

Stero system?

I would likme something that can be used at exhibitions as well as home.

thanks

Simon

Many years ago, I was asked to provide such sounds on an endless loop (tape) recording for use in a museum gallery; after much searching I was loaned an 'LP' (remember those?) of assorted railway-yard background sounds: rail-squeal, buffers clanking, shunters calling, distant loco whistles, bird-song....that kind of thing.....It was replayed at low volume, and gave real atmosphere to an otherwise static exhibit.

.......this is an area where modern digital technology could really come into it`s own. :yes:

If you want to start messing with background sounds, then there is a component in JMRI called "SoundPro". Its far from finished, but the basics do work if you're prepared to mess around with scripts to make it behave. It can be triggered by track events or on-screen buttons, or just pseudo-random time. Within SoundPro you define sound sources which have an audio file, volume, position (in X-Y-Z), the sound can be faded in, moved in position, etc.. Speakers are put under the layout, using surround sound speakers (eg. home cinema 5.1 system).

You still need to find the original sound files to play out. If the sounds still happen, you could record your own (need mono for this application). As this is for public exhibitions, using a commercial recording (LP, CD, video, etc) is probably not covered under your license when you bought the recording or the show's license with the Performing Rights Society. If you can contact the owner of the recording, you may be able to negotiate permission for use.

- Nigel

I made my own up for Keyhaven by downloading various freely available sound clips of constituent sounds (water, harbour and marina sounds, sea birds, engineering factory) and created a long mp3 file in Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ played through an mp3 player or laptop and speakers.

It's an opportunity to create something individual and appropriate for the layout or scene.

I made my own up for Keyhaven by downloading various freely available sound clips of constituent sounds (water, harbour and marina sounds, sea birds, engineering factory) and created a long mp3 file in Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ played through an mp3 player or laptop and speakers.

It's an opportunity to create something individual and appropriate for the layout or scene.

Thanks for the link Andy, i will look at that.

I had been tinkering with this as a thought for some time for Portchullin.

I had in mind mellow background noises for the most part, with a few sheep bleats but every half an hour or so I would get a couple of jets scream past on full volume to wake everyone up and be very prototypical at the same time!

There are masses of free sound files available from the British Library - http://sounds.bl.uk/Default.aspx

When I exhibit Humber Dock with a DCC loco sound system I play a loop of three seagull recordings from an American company on my MacBook which we downloaded before we discovered this free resource. They cost a only a few dollars but the service from the company was superb when my sound technician (my wife, Betsy) contacted them with a problem. I was worried that I would quickly be driven mad by the repetitious sounds but no, in the noisy exhibition environment I thought they added just the right ambience to our display.

Come on Andy, anyone who has exhibited next to you at a Show remembers not sea birds but rather those lovely seagulls of yours! :lol:

Nigel.

For my exhibition layout 'Haymarket Cross' I dowmloaded onto my computer various bird sounds & in paticular seagulls as my layout is based on Scarborough loco shed! The sounds were then edited using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 using around five different tracks overlapping some of the sounds. In all around 15mins was recorded and then put onto mini-disc repeating until disc was full, around 75min. I then play the mini-disc through a small hi-fi under the layout through two speakers. Sound is good & adds that bit of realism to the layout.

Cheers

silverlink

• RMweb Premium

One of those jobs to do on Blackmill - plan is to use a MP3 based player for the likes of platform announcements. We also have a few of those recordable - 15 secs or so - pcb's that can find their way into greetings cards. They will be located at strategic points around the layout and may be manual or automatic trigger as required.

Like everything else, we always find something more important to do.

Cheers,

Mick

I've pulled a few sounds from http://www.sounddogs.com/. The previews are free and can be downloaded by right-clicking on the 'Preview' button and Saving Target As (or similar depending on your browser). The sample rate on the preview is low but for ambient background noise this might be okay. There are some UK station announcements on here with the correct bing bong bing introduction to them. They are suitably muffled so would suit any station as a generic sound.

I've not got round to working on a full background soundtrack yet but bookmarked the site for future use.

Hi,good folk, what i used to do was record with a microphone out of my window all the various sounds , then play them back on my minidisc player deck with every day life , that was 10 yr ago but it would sound more realistic coming from the layout something i will work on once canonbury is built.

Mark.

Archived