Connecting four points next to each other

Hi All

I am new to all this and am struggling a little with point wiring. I will be going DCC and have electrofrog points but am not sure how/where to use insulating fishplates. I want to have four points all together what do I have to remember? Any help would be much appreciated.

I had problems on my first layout with certain locos (and especially 4 car EMUs) shorting out on pairs of points and diamond crossings. On layout 2 currently under construction I have used Brian Lambert's suggestion to put insulating fish plates on the frog ends of points and so far this seems to have completely eliminated the problem. Does require some extra track droppers probably.

• 1 month later...

I had problems on my first layout with certain locos (and especially 4 car EMUs) shorting out on pairs of points and diamond crossings. On layout 2 currently under construction I have used Brian Lambert's suggestion to put insulating fish plates on the frog ends of points and so far this seems to have completely eliminated the problem. Does require some extra track droppers probably.

On my own 00 layout I have done just the same and put insulating fish plates on the frog end and it works OK

what do I have to remember?

The following is all you have to remember for all wiring DC and DCC in EVERY track orientation if you follow the following rules it will always work:

1. fit insulating fish plated to every frog rail (that;s the two middle ones out of the four) Run a wire (there may be one already - depending on the point) to the centre common of a spdt switch (usually mounted on your point switching mechanism)

2. run a wire from each of the stock rails to each of the corresponding power bus

3. run a wire from any dead section following a point (typically in a siding) to the corresponding power bus.

4. supply power to the poles of the spdt switch in [2] so that the frog gets the appropriate power when the point is switched.

The only* difference between DCC and DC is that in DC the wires to sidings may have switches for section breaks.

* except for complicated (eg multiple controller layouts)

No, shorts do not come from omitting something but from connecting something that should not be connected. If you have 6 insulating joiners round that point as it appears on the plan then there must be a fault within the point itself, scrutinise it.

Regards

Keith

Archived