Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

N gauge:

Class 25, Class 81, RAIL BLUE Class 86s, Mk2/a/b carriages, a blue/grey Gresley buffet (yes, there was such a thing), Class 310 EMU, Deltic

OO: How about an Ivatt Large boiler Atlantic in GNR livery? And an LNER J6??

Hi

There are already Blue class 86s available from C&M Models.

Cheers

Paul

Dapol have already done the Gresley Buffet in Maroon - it was in their first release of Gresleys.

So what? A refurbished one is correct for maroon and blue grey, though an unrefurbished one may be correct in maroon as well. It's no biggie, and if

A Blue-Grey would be lovely idea but I fear the tooling costs for the differences to the windows/roof etc of Gresley buffet once in Blue/Grey would be too great to achieve a return on the likely unit sales it would achieve (Or would result in a price people would be unprepared to pay).

There's quite a few people will tell you that that's exactly what happened with the first run of maroon Gresleys... Thing is, the tricky stuff is already done (they have CAD of the unrefurbished body shell as a starting point, they have the underframe (now with better bogie spacing)) the only thing they don't have is suitable blue grey coaching stock to run with it.

Now if it was viable for the N Gauge Society to commision the BG kit from Dapol, I suspect that the refurbished buffet would be doable as well.

There are already Blue class 86s available from C&M Models.

OK, how about: Rail Blue Class 86s in early-mid '70s condition with route indicators, unnamed, available with TOPS or pre-TOPS numbers, along with some models of 86/0s without flexcoil bogies, including models of as built AL6s.

I bought an 86 with a view to backdating it - however, upon closer inspection, I don't back myself to remove the later detail off of the cab fronts without completely destroying what is an excellent little model...

It's a wish list; I can dream a little ;)

So what? A refurbished one is correct for maroon and blue grey, though an unrefurbished one may be correct in maroon as well. It's no biggie, and if

There's quite a few people will tell you that that's exactly what happened with the first run of maroon Gresleys... Thing is, the tricky stuff is already done (they have CAD of the unrefurbished body shell as a starting point, they have the underframe (now with better bogie spacing)) the only thing they don't have is suitable blue grey coaching stock to run with it.

Now if it was viable for the N Gauge Society to commision the BG kit from Dapol, I suspect that the refurbished buffet would be doable as well.

Trouble is there is a world of difference between having a design on CAD and going to the cost of cutting metal for a new mould tool for a model which will however attractive to some, only have a very limited market. The "difficult" part may well be the CAD but the costly part will still be cutting the metal. This was the reason that the original run of maroon Gresley Buffets retailed at an eye-watering £35 each (And even then the cost of the correct heavyweight Gresley bogies could not be justified).

If Hornby couldn't justify the cost of tooling specially for the refurbed Gresley Buffet in 00, as I said before there is even less chance Dapol would take the risk in N in my view.

With regard to the NGS Gresley Full Brake kit, as far as I was aware the model was not commissioned from Dapol, only their existing underframe and bogies for their Greley coaches being sourced from Dapol for that model, and even then the NGS do not have the same commercial pressures to make a return (or as much of one as quickly).

Regards

Roy

What about track? With correct sleeper spacing to go with the rest of the high quality gear your producing?

Also Id like:

Aircon MK2's

120 dmus

ScotRail DBSO!

And an 07 shunter

ALL IN 00 pleaseeee

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi Dave

Keep up the good work, very impressed with all my N gauge Dapol engines (dropped my Terrier when nearly fell off the top of the loft ladder, it fell to a hard floor, reassembled and still runs sweetly).

Looking forward to Bulleid Pacifics.

Please please please could I request an N gauge Schools, some Maunsell coaches, an H Class would be really amazing too.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johns,

Without trying to sound flippant, I'd say when it's ready.

Let me explain........ This year sees a huge increase in product and delivery with lots of new stuff. As such the catalogue is being expanded from 30 odd pages to a whopping 120 pages (at present) and this is taking time to collate and get right.

Lots of projects (new unnanounced so far) will be close to release when the new catalogue is released but this is unavoidable.

At Ally Pally we will announce some projects but not all, to keep the anticipation going, so watch here or visit the stand at the show for details.

I think some of you will be more than pleasantly surprised! ;-)

No I'm not saying what gauge or era etc so please don't fish :-)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

As a 00 modeller on the 1970s/80s, there are a couple of (in my view) rather obvious gaps to be filled in the "quality model" market.

On the wagon front, we desperately need a decent representation of the FFA/FGA freightliner flats. These would be the perfect partner to your existing 8' 6" boxes. A model on a par with the FEA/B wagons ( I have three pairs of these in spite of then being the wrong era for me) would be just perfect. To go with them, how about some containers in "retro" liveries, such as Mitsui OSK lines with the "big Al" logo, OCL in blue, ACL in "boxcar red", Safmarine and of course BEN (Ellerman) lines. Maybe Bell too, especially for those of us who model Irish Railways as well?

As far as locos are concerned, I think a suitable project to follow on from the Western would be the Brush Type 2 Class 30/31. Neither of the Hornby models in 00 hit anything like the spot, and from other postings it sounds like the Farish model in N could use some competition?

I can think of lots more besides, but these would certainly be a great start!

Best wishes

Kevin

I would love a sort of generic 009 loco - a quarry hunslet, small peckett or similar.

However, it would also be nice if some N gauge 0-4-0 locos were made. That would cater for those modelling N gauge industrial scenes, and also a gap in the 009 market.

Chris :)

It would be nice to see the all the stock needed to complete an HST set available at the same time. For example, there are a few First Great Western loco packs still available, but no coaches. Some of the coaches have not yet been produced - and now the FGW franchise is coming to an end, will Dapol just forget what's left to do and move on to something else? I don't have the confidence to buy a few bits as and when they come out. I need to be be confident that everything is available at one time. Otherwise, I and many others could end up paying a lot of money without being able to run a proper train.

Hi Armchair,

As mentioned many many many times, Dapol WILL be producing the missing coaches for the FGW HST including the TGS, and buffet (which incidentally the first deco is in transit for approval as I type this).

Other coaches will be produced as we go along.

However please don't forget that wrexham & Shropshire has stopped but we are still going to produce those to enable the set to be completed as we have promised.

So please don't worry your fears are totally unfounded.

Cheers

Dave

Archived