Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

Hi Dave

Having seen the good reviews for your recent 4mm locos,similar standard steam outline locos would be very well received.You're probably well aware of the usual wish-list suspects ,(J15,J27,64XX,Black Motors etc).Given your 2-way relationship with the readership here,I reckon a fair range could be worked up to beat Hornby and Bachmann at their own game.Go for the multiple purchase workhorses rather than the glamour one-offs and you'll be quids in.

Also,given the number of PO wagon commissions,how about some hi-fi wagons and vans,thinking Gloucester 1907 types, Chas Roberts etc to give prototypical wagons to go with the liveries

Jamie

Some 00 Turbots would be nice !! Followed by a decent 4VEP! :jester:

Seriously though,

Early freightliner flats are begging to be done.

Proper class 73

Class 74

IHA curtain sided steel carrier.

One of they departmental flat things wots used for carrying track!

Oh yes, I'll echo the call for a class 07 and a decent industrial diesel shunter - perhaps in a range of plain colours such as red/white/blue/yellow with no markings but a set of transfers in the box.

All in 4mm

Hi all

Personnally i'd ssecond the Metropolitan railway locomotive in 00, a much under represented railway. Especially considering how many i have met have memories of travelling on it, and it became one of the biggest railway companies after 1923, certainly most independant!

Best to pick engines that lasted to the end, while an A class would be nice, Met E class has an 0-4-4 wheel arrangement, and F class the even more common 0-6-2 arrangement, possibly that could be utilised in similar wheel based engine.

Of course theres the Met K which was effectively an SECR River tank in disguise, and the Met C class was an SECR design all but.

An elegant H class would be lovely as well, but less of an interest being 4-4-4T!

what adds to the benefits is that the MET K, G and H class were all absorbed by the LNER, keeping that fan group happy as well with an unusual engine!

Oh and a Met electric Bo Bo would be great as well, i Know there are kits but it takes a bit of work to get them going!

Cheers

LC

I have often wondered why someone doesn't produce steam loco tenders as separate items. There is almost as much complexity of tender variations as coaches and wagons. Judging from discussions on RMWeb and elsewhere, people seem to go to quite some lengths to get the right tender, eg for their A1/10 and A3/A4s, sometimes even having to buy a loco they don't need just to get the tender. Whenever a new model is released, a lot of discussion is about whether they got the tender right. Coping with all the various tender-loco connection methods might be an issue, but could probably be overcome, even by just swapping tender bodies around.

A new product range of (painted/unpainted) standard tenders and their major variants to complement existing RTR offerings would be very welcome.

Rodger

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't normally publicly lobby for something (but seeing as you've asked for it ;)) I would like to second m'learned friend's motion and also invite opinion from others on this. I'm sure, collectively, we could come up with some intelligent thinking of suitable prototypes that would allow for maximum flexibility for future development of other models.

Polly for the 21st century! ;)

Not exactly my scene or area of expertise but a nice little Peckett (where the choice is admittedly vast!) would be best in my view as there is a degree of flexibility there - perhaps go for an inside cylinder loco and look for one very closely related to one of the outside cylinder versions so doing either or both might be feasible? Personally I would prefer to see an 0-4-0 as that is a lot more useful for smaller factory etc railways but would still be ok for a larger place such as a colliery. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=peckett+tank+engines&start=10&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=p44ET__QMIrysgazndj5Dw&ved=0CCYQsAQ4Cg&biw=1258&bih=986

SR Bulleid designed EMU 4Sub/2Hal, 4/2Epb/2Hap. Long lasting with quite a few livery variations. Also class508 type Emu. Scope there for the overhead versions too. Sorry for the SR bias.

Cheers for now, Ian.

As a southern modeller too - Is this where we add a vote for a 2BIL? - No one else seems to want to do it why not Dapol?

Then there is the LSECR Birdcage stock and an E4 tank which would be lovely...

Thanks for the opportunity Dave... (and thanks for the 22 )...

• RMweb Premium

In n scale

Class 33

21 ton vacuum braked coal hoppers

Mk1 CCT

Ex LMS Bogie parcels van

Update the former SR CCT

Ex SR GUV

Update the Syphons

Mk1 Carflats

Pretty please...........

• RMweb Gold

In 00 I would love to see you dip a toe in the possibilities north of the border. Think of all those locos with evocative names esp Scots,Glens and Scottish Directors! So far this is a much neglected area just waiting for someone to take the plunge.

Thanks for asking

Gavin

And Directors for south of the border.

More modern O gauge wagons - simple things like a VAA/VBA/VDA box van in BR brown or Railfreight red and grey would be nice - wide area of operation and timescale, can run in a block train or in one or two in a mixed rake or trip working, short wheelbase suits any layout size, and there is literally nothing out there to compete with it except kits. Plenty of blue locos and coaches available rtr but freight you're stuck with kits or steam era wagons only.

On a personal note, some 6 wheel milk tanks suitable for 1970's/1980's traffic would work for me too.

An 08 would be nice but I do realise that would be an expensive model whereas £40 for a wagon is much more realistic for many people as a start in O gauge.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave!

I'd reiterate the first gen DMU calls, but also add the Swindon inter city class 123 and transpennine class 124. A 4TC would be nice to go behind a 33/1 or two- they ranged further than most SR units despite being non-powered. Firstgen EMUs are a huge as yet to be tapped area. Also if Jim SW is watching class 81-84 AC leccies must be worth a look RTR.

In steam a Johnson MR 1P 0-4-4-T, ex Highbridge fame.

Somebody must look at the rebodied 21T hoppers now I've bought a number of park side kits.

1960s Freightliner flats and more fishkind PW rolling stock.

A decent Siphon G on correct bogies for BR days.

Also a neglected area is small diesel shunters, hence I think the 07 is a good shout but the Ruston-Hornsby WR PWM fleet PWM 650-654 were seen thoughout the WR and would sit alongside those excellent new class 42/43s you've been hinting about for a while!

Just a few off the top of my head, you did ask.

Neil

I'd suggest a Swindon Class 120 dmu would complement your hydraulics very nicely, in both N and OO. Long life and wide regional distribution as well. Nice prototype at home on express and branch duties, I think it would do quite well.

I'd also add my support for a nice detailed 1960's Freightliner flat, again in both scales. I think if you made both the outers and intermediates, selling the outers as pairs and allowing individuals to select how many intermediates they wished depending on layout constraints, it might help maximise sales. Would allow you to expand your range of "boxes" to complement your existing range.

Given you dipped your toe into OHLE and operating semaphores, have you considered some more ready to plant scenic objects? Although Bachmann and Hornby have established a market in buildings and some scenic objects, I'm sure there's scope for more. Perhaps to go with the OHLE range you are launching a West Coast electrification section building might be a good start!

...I'd reiterate the first gen DMU calls...

...In steam a Johnson MR 1P 0-4-4-T, ex Highbridge fame...

Yes to each of these, especially now that I've almost finished my Craftsman 1P kit, but beware that all but two of those used on the S&DJR in early BR days were slightly different types. Like the BWTs, they are a bit of a minefield.

As to Siphons, how about the 6-wheelers?

Nick

00 INDUSTRIAL LOCOMOTIVES

Goodness me - an official invitation to 'wishlist'....!

How about a proper British steam-outline industrial loco - such as a Peckett or Andrew Barclay?

Thanks for asking!

(but seeing as you've asked for it ;)) I would like to second m'learned friend's motion and also invite opinion from others on this. Polly for the 21st century! ;)

A really good Big barclay (0-6-0) would really fit the bill. Failing that, a wee Peckett or RSH would be just as nice.... A 12" Barclay chassis is the same basic design for both steam & fireless, just turned around-thats about it!

I would really like to see an industrial diesel shunter something like either an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 sentinal as these were in wide spread use over a large time frame and could be ideal on large and small layouts serving various industry.

... a nice little Peckett (where the choice is admittedly vast!) would be best in my view as there is a degree of flexibility there - perhaps go for an inside cylinder loco and look for one very closely related to one of the outside cylinder versions so doing either or both might be feasible?

Personally I would prefer to see an 0-4-0 as that is a lot more useful for smaller factory etc railways but would still be ok for a larger place such as a colliery. http://www.google.co...iw=1258&bih=986

I'm delighted to respond to this request. Recent commissions have demonstrated not only the appeal to buyers but your ability to manufacture truly remarkable, accurate and functional small industrial locomotive models.

My vote is a Peckett 0-4-0T. The Powlesland and Mason versions on the Swansea docks that were absorbed into the GWR are my particular favourite, not to mention preserved versions like the charming Kilmersdon, owned by the S&DRT or this lovely example.

Really any small industrial locomotive would feel like a coup. Kitson, Barlcay, Avonside, Manning-Wardle, Hudswell Clarke, Hunslet etc all made interesting and attractive prototypes. (Something that appeared somewhere in middle chrome green and copper trim is a slam dunk for me, but not a requirement.) I think the best opening for industrials is a 0-4-0T, mostly from what I'll call a "quaint" factor. The Avonside locomotives used by Cadbury in Bournville have a particular appeal, though I suspect might be tricky to license.

Doubtless the S&DJR Sentinels would generate interest!

And, thank you for asking!

Simple no-nonsense maid of all work goods locomotives seems to be what mainly LMS and LNER steam modellers are asking for in 4mm/00 gauge.

Not an easy ask thats for sure when it comes to the LNER. However a loco that served both sides of the Pennines in Eastern and London Midland territory as well as North Wales was the LYR 'A' Class 0-6-0 & Tender. It was all-but a standard class in many ways and lasted until 1962.

The prototype gives three main variants for further development...... Original round-top boiler, Belpaire boiler and the superheated versions. Two tenders were Aspinall short-wheelbase and Barton-Wright long wheelbase rivetted.

4mm/00 coachwise, the LMS 42ft GUV and more LMS non-corridors to expand on your Lav set.

post-6680-0-91501300-1325702021.jpg

Cheers Dave - I'll make no apologies for lobbying for my own areas of interest, but I'll try and make them as broadly useful as possible, so:

Class 71 Bo-Bo electric from which could be derived the Class 74 ED

LBSCR C2X 0-6-0 - pregrouping design, lasted until the early 60s

SECR H class 0-4-4T, ditto

State-of-the-art Bulleid coaches, since Bachmann show little interest in updating theirs

and as a long shot the CC1/2 (20001/20002) electrics - the proper Class 70!

'OO' gauge........but wait for Bachmanns March announcement before committing ?

• Class 71 High Spec. Locomotive
  • Class 73 High Spec.Locomotive
  • Class 90 High Spec.Locomotive
  • Class 91 High Spec.Locomotive
  • Mk4 High Spec.Coaching Stock
  • Mk2 High Spec. Air Conditioned coaches

Thanks for asking,

Whatever you get up to for 2012, all the best !!!

Shedmaster

What about something for the children's market? Many children find Thomas The Tank engine and similar too embarrassing to play with. How about developing something imaginative and proactive that could occupy the minds of older children? It would be a great way for them to learn a bit about electronics, how to build and paint things and be able to run them as well. It would solve quite a few christmas and birthday present-buying problems for us adults too.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the opportunity to put views forward here!

IMHO - keep the really up-to-date lads happy with this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49816-drs-orders-vossloh-eurolights/page__fromsearch__1

In N gauge certainly and hopefully 00 too!

I'm also certain to be purchasing items of a western 7mm flavour!

Cheers,

John E.

All in N (There are plenty of other manufacturers doing 00, and just you and Bachmann in N!)

D600 in N (If you do both original and split headcode condition, there are 5 different variants to match the five locos!)

52XX 2-8-0T

Castle to the same standard as the Hall

63' 3-car Suburban DMU (116 or 117)

Class 119 or 120 Cross-Country DMU

Class 155 2-car DMU (Provincial, Metrotrain, Northern livery)

Rebuilt Gresley buffet in blue/grey

Hawksworth coaches (including BG)

50' Polybulk

Turbot

LMS and SR-design 12t vans.

00 SPECIALTY WAGONS

As has been recently discussed on RMweb, there's not a great range of nice wagons that come in red boxes, at least not commensurate with the range of locomotives offered.

There creates market room for wagons, particularly specialty wagons.

With my GWR prejudices I would suggest examples like MICA, BLOATER, four wheeled brown tool vans, and even a SHARK (GWR) etc. (I hope the "Fruit D"s are good sellers - I like them.) Perhaps these may not be well suited to the 'commissioned' wagon business, but it is an area not welll served in RTR.

Edit - How long has the RECT Tank been available, and how did I miss it??

Archived