This might be a good small(ish) space switching layout...

shortliner

I would lose the loco shed and make it a team track. ...

Definitely; a team track is much more common. As Dave alluded to, switchers serving urbran areas are typically serviced at a larger facility. Even then, the power may change from day to day, with the switching crew picking up their locomotive at the nearest terminal office, the picking up their train off a track at a nearby classification yard, then going on to their assigned switching district.

Strange that I recently posted a trackplan for the Claremont and Concord - and then, this morning this turns up on TrainOrders.com.The gentleman who took the photo, and then scanned and posted it, has very kindly given me permission to post it on here - the copyright remains with him. I think it is a cracking photo

post-6688-0-74650900-1326292428_thumb.jpg

It is suggested on TrainOrders.com that it may be a gantlet track - - possibly to allow bi-directional running without needing turnouts - I have a very vague memory, from a long time ago post on the web, that there was a tram-type passenger service that ran along a roadside on a raised up trackage, possibly to reduce the gradient needed?.

love that website jack

my brains doing overtime now (doesn't take much),thanks very much!

got a spare 44t and #7 of helm,where's my pen and paper

love the undulating track might be a bit of a problem keeping cars in there spurs

but that my be a challenge, just like life!

Ray

from deepest west cumbria

I think the easiest is probably an up-rising lever between the tracks to catch the axle.

like this - if painted a ballast colour it will barely be visible. Left hand side is "downhill in each picture - any vehicle moving uphill will simply push the brake over if it is "up" - just move the lever into the "downhill "position and the wire will catch the axle and be held by the weight of the vehicle - move it uphill and lower the brake when you need to go downhill - the round thing on the lever is a bit of lead shot to hold the lever over-centre in the non-brake position by gravity

Brake OFF

post-6688-0-85453100-1326299437.jpg

post-6688-0-31791200-1326299719.jpg

Brake ON

post-6688-0-35224300-1326299785.jpg

post-6688-0-66831600-1326299818.jpg

The "Brake is bent paperclip in a bit of tube - it is easier to show than to try to explain

• 3 months later...

When I looked back at this post yesterday, looking for the address for Pete, I scanned through and picked up the photos of the Claremont & Concord. Brain went "tick" and I remembered a couple of trackplans from Model Trains May 1980, and Scale Model Trains May 1986, featuring a tiny shortline in Carolina - the Edgemoor and Manetta RR. The first is HO and the second in N scale - 44-tonner and 70-tonner locos are available in both scales from Bachmann, and although the E&M didn't use them, had it remained in existance it might well have done - but it occured to me that they would also make an excellent trackplan basis for a layout for the C&C, which certainly did have GE44-tonners locos. The earlier photo with the track on the raised wall would fit very nicely with the curve on the N version, and would work with the curve on the HO version too. The N version would upscale to HO in about 8'x4' - Model Railroaders favorite "beginners" size. The runround loops in the HO scale version should hold a minimum of 2, but better yet 3, standard 40' boxcars in each leg post-6688-0-24411300-1334329080_thumb.jpg post-6688-0-67288400-1334329085_thumb.jpg If used as originally intended with Lando as the blanket mill, making the world famous Cannon blankets, both legs were used for loading blankets into boxcars - you could spend a long time switching a train that arrives with three new cars when both legs are full! The E&M didn't use a caboose - but you could! Life not complicated enough? Then don't forget a weekly hopper of coal for the power plant, and another for the coal store at the far end of the loop! Of course if you are a real masochist you could re-instate the passenger/mail service with a drovers caboose. Happy days! Both trackplans are used with permission of Chris Ellis

When I looked back at this post yesterday, looking for the address for Pete, I scanned through and picked up the photos of the Claremont & Concord. Brain went "tick" and I remembered a couple of trackplans from Model Trains May 1980, and Scale Model Trains May 1986, featuring a tiny shortline in Carolina - the Edgemoor and Manetta RR.

The first plan there (May 1980) is one of my all-time favourites, that's always been at the back of my mind as a "One day I must build..." sort of layout.... I think it's a little bit optimistic as drawn for the sort of capacities talked about though, but it does appeal as a compact layout....

One of my all time favourites too. I think it lends itself to being adapted well. Right now I'd cut out the short T section on the left and stretch the whole thing out a bit - having typed that I'm already having second thoughts!!!! Turning it into an L shape would really mean revamping and getting rid of the scenic break in the north/south section....

Best, Pete.

Archived