Class 325 Royal Mail unit in EM

I have jumped into this one too....My thoughts will follow of what I have got plannedvery soon.

Just back from Liverpool to see Everton beat Tamworth 2-0 in the FA cup yesterday I sent some cheques off for some goodies to supprt this project...

Ian

Right oh!

This is my take on how a 325 can be modelled.

I am going the Bratchell 319 route...and hopefully to replicate three units.

Some fine looking etched doors and bits and bobs have been sourced thanks to Will on his 00 thread.

Power plant will be via a Bachmann 25 in each unit, three which have been "instock" in the Liverpool works for some while now, bought ex DCC train sets cheap from Hattons.

Cabs will be carved Hornby Networker which again have been "instock" for far far too long for the possible project bought many moons ago from Modelspares when he still did exhibitions in the North West.

I have a number of images of the cabs to date which I will post once I have cleaned them up a little.

My thoughts are for maybe a clear cast complete end like a Bratchell one for those who have seen that or for some etched parts to enhance a resin end.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I've dug out the patterns and moulds from the ones I bult for Royal Mail, these were done about 16-17 years ago and I'm not sure exactly which bit is which now. in the attached photo most are the patterns with one sub-standard cab end moulding. The cab end is hollow with part of the control desk moulded in the interior, the skin over the windows is very thin and easily cut out. The buffer beam is a separate moulding which fits in the recess under the end, next to it is one of the snowplough mouldings (I think). On the left is the pattern for the inner end gangway recess and the power bogie. I moulded all the roller shutter doors and fitted them from the inside. I also have all the same patterns/moulds for the 7mm models.

Incidentally the cab at the NRM should be identical in shape to the rest of them - it's a one piece GRP moulding. It was at Litchurch Lane when I was researching this job.

Michael Edge

post-1643-0-58320100-1326019196_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you very much Mike for posting your excellent work!

I dont know why others havent had a go before now. I Like units and have had this bubbling for far too long, coming next from me are some cab hacks im up to while I wait for my other bits and bobs to land.

I did think that the NRM one would be akin to the fleet, I mean why go to the bother of recreating something like it if they could just do another pour as it were.

Ian

I am looking at adding some wipacs so Hornbys holes will be being looked! The cab windows have also seen some fettling.

I would like to see either a clear casting made or for the window frame to be added via an etch perhaps and some finer glazing added to give a better reprsentation of flush glazing and to try and show some of the half round rubber window frame

The Hornby pattern included some form of step, this from working from images isnt needed on a 325 and I have begun to take the plastic up with rather than being a rebate is actually a raised section on a 325 stil thats to be looked at.

post-7587-0-95360200-1326023512.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher

The back view which was taken as the section was being added I built up. I took the file to the networker cab to begin to make it more mark three profile like. Next up was to add a bit of beef to the sides to give that 325 chubby feel, this was acheived by cementing two section of microstrip to the cab sides, First layer was 2mm x 1.25mm a day later this was then finnished with some 1.5mm x 1.5mm strip on the cab edge as some images sort of show a square transition from unit end cab to curve.

Still very much a work in progress but it (is for me taking some sort of shape)

post-7587-0-92099800-1326023700.jpg

post-7587-0-51460100-1326023757.jpg

post-7587-0-20813300-1326023793.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Like 1

I've dug out the patterns and moulds from the ones I bult for Royal Mail, these were done about 16-17 years ago and I'm not sure exactly which bit is which now. in the attached photo most are the patterns with one sub-standard cab end moulding. The cab end is hollow with part of the control desk moulded in the interior, the skin over the windows is very thin and easily cut out. The buffer beam is a separate moulding which fits in the recess under the end, next to it is one of the snowplough mouldings (I think). On the left is the pattern for the inner end gangway recess and the power bogie. I moulded all the roller shutter doors and fitted them from the inside. I also have all the same patterns/moulds for the 7mm models.

Incidentally the cab at the NRM should be identical in shape to the rest of them - it's a one piece GRP moulding. It was at Litchurch Lane when I was researching this job.

Michael Edge

Hi Michael,

Would you post a pic of the 7mm masters please?

Cheers

Tom

Next up on my trawl will be some spares like window wipers and shoe gear that seem too good to ignore. A quick search on ebay has thrown up a number of bits and bobs www.hornbyspares.com throws up many a further idea, although as I type there are many more seemingly available. The attached pdf might be of some use.

Ian

ss-202c-69(1).pdf

Edited by Ian Fisher

The drive train which will be used came care of A few Bachmann class 25's in this pic I had already fitted with Black Beetle 14mm wheels, but they will be fitted with the appropiate size for the 325. Now do I do a double bogie per set or one.

From a opc trawl the the `power` bogie wheelsets should be 12mm

Ian

post-7587-0-17650800-1326051550.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher

Cabs - good progress photos there, I like the idea of using the plastic strip to help with the filling. On my unit I've just glued the cab to the MkIII body and shoved a load of filler around the cab... time will tell whether or not my method will work!

Hornby Details - these are very expensive from certain eBay sellers (e.g. £2.99 for a single small component plus £2.50 postage) so you could end up spengni a lot on the bits you need for all your cabs. I'm waiting (a useful eBay technique!) to see if something comes up at a more sensible price, e.g. a full set of Networker parts in one lot.

Wheels - Remember 11mm wheels when new could easily be 10.5mm when worn, an inch and a half of tyre wear is perfectly possible :) Someone also mentioned that the power bogies have slightly larger wheels, so look out for that.

Cheers,

Will

Both Cabs side by side one raw the other, Halfway there?

Having a 322 to take some sizes of has helped but unitl I get the 319's I was in limbo so I thought the pastic card and filler was the route to go also as I want a few more, these may form the basis of some patterns.

Ian

post-7587-0-70548200-1326058670.jpg

From looking at a spare Bratchell 150 I have, I think it will be a case of re-using the glazing taking some frame and beading away. I think it may need a little filler more than a Bachmann 150 as Will is using in his conversion but do-able all the same.

I fancy glueing the glazing in with cement then taking the farmes down and seeing how that looks if its a case of adding some filler then its the route I will go with the remainder.

If it needs a little more filler I will add the lot and then take it down in one go, finnishing with finer abrassives and then a few passes of primer should see a neat side result.

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

325 EM wish list so far

and by way of a cath up to date

The kit

Bratchell 319 kits x 3

PH Designs Roller door etch grilles and door opening x 3

Fox transfers x 3

Hurst NRN aerial LDP103 x3 (with added plastic strip)

Desirable parts

A1 sprung large oleo buffers x 3 sets

Kaydee buckeye (number)

Windscreen wiper and handrail spare Hornby x6

Collector shoe spare Hornby x3

Lights (Express models 156s?)

11mm wheels Markits or

10.5mm wheels Black Beetle

10.5mm disc brake inserts Colin Craig

11mm disc brake inserts not available

Bachmann class 25 for power plant

To fabricate

Cab ends (casting) reworked Hornby

Round vents on cab roof (casting)

Gangway blanking plate (Etch?)

Pantograph (Etch?)

Buffer beam and valance (Etch?)

Cab window frames (Etch?)

Draw bar coupling (Etch?)

Inter coach cabling mu rebate (casting)

Steps boxed in (casting)

Glues and solvents

Super glue

Plastic cement, the good old fashioned stuff) wanting or not bothered if it does fog the glazing on

the sides this time!

Liquid poly

Epoxy resin

Paint

I wonder do Halfords do a Royal Mail red BS 381C I believe?

Warning Panel Yellow

Black

Edited by Ian Fisher

Fingers crossed Jim, I have had an auto email saying the payment went through, not knocking fox one bit just the fact they have had 2mm, 4mm and 7mm in their range for years (Thanks to Mike Edge's models?)

Sods law says I fancy enough for a rake and they'd be out of em!

Thanks for the heads up though sounds promising for future buys.

Ian

I am going to have a go at casting my own cab fronts from the work im currenlty doing, I have cast a few things in the past but not for a while and just had a quick google and came across this site:- http://www.b9robotre...ic_casting1.htm I know there are a number of good resources here, but I like this sequence and how the author has laid it out.

I would still like to see what the potential would be for a clear diy cast could be, I know it has to be very fine or very chunky for the like of paper weight type casting. I also realise the process doesnt offer as good a quality as injection moulded produced parts like Bratchell supply. It is something I would like to see what might be possible even if it ends not really going anywhere.

Just had a look around and these arent too far from me in week http://www.glasplies.co.uk/contact COSH considered it might be as easy to have a drive up!

Time to devise a shopping list...

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

Hi Derek,

The 325 idea predates Oxford Road!!

I just fancied doing some and a ppi repayment and that sort of nailed it for me. Still its a WCML unit so a drag might happen :senile:

Ian

Ian,

Looking good

But 325's through Oxford Road - dragged on a diversion :O :o :no:

Edited by Ian Fisher

last ebay session for me tonight has secured...

I have ony bought one set of lights to see what might be possible, as I think there might be better options.

The windscreen with added rubber seal frame should look rather good.

Cant wait to get all these bits actually underway

post-7587-0-04661000-1326323321.jpg

post-7587-0-44450200-1326323332.jpg