Class 325 Royal Mail unit in EM

Hi James,

It seems you just make the mould around something stiff!

I had an idea of how to go about it but the very nice people at Tirantis have offered advice and guidance too

Would be interesting to see how you tackle the mould making process Ian!

I tried resin casting the entire vehicle sides & rooves of my 377 Electrostars but couldn't find a good way of making a large enough rubber mould that didn't sag or change shape - will be interested if you find a way around this, very best of luck!! :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

It seems you just make the mould around something stiff!

I had an idea of how to go about it but the very nice people at Tirantis have offered advice and guidance too

Nice, I'd thought about how to make the mould stiff so it doesn't sag during the casting process when the resin's still a liquid, like inserting wires/metal elements to the rubber but my idea fell down when working out how to release the cast resin, bending the mould out of the strengthened cast without ripping/bending out the metal from the rubber but I'm guessing the experts must have some best practice they can share! :)

Hardboard and elastic bands! You basically add in additional plugs to the mould thst help support the mould

It also reduces the need for expensive rubber

So the top plug mould the carriage inner could be a batten of 20 mm x 20 mm (cheaper filler product balsa or something )

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

you've clearly resurrected both 325 threads for a reason?

Anything tangible to show us from your 325 build? There must be many interested as these are very distinctive units

I know your game, as soon as Ian finishes a 325 then someone will present one in RTR.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1