Class 325 Royal Mail unit in EM

I have used this stuff before, my plan is to remove some of the window frame as illustrated up the thread then givem them a spray before fitting to the body, the plan is to end up with a nice smooth bodyside using the glazing.

post-7587-0-29854500-1327015068.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher

Little bit of work late last night and so far so good.

I think I will have to get rid of the frames though as the top hopper bit is a bit harder than the bodyside plastic, possibly giving the opportunity to go down a little when finnishing the sanding.

Its going to take a lot of emery and a tube of filler and or spray!

post-7587-0-82506600-1327056224.jpg

post-7587-0-83758200-1327056238.jpg

post-7587-0-18975800-1327059964.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher

Back to the cabs, and the tweaks last night took secounds in narrow the profile.

I have also opened out the space for the wipacs my intention is to add detailed glazing and have a detailed wipac behind it something the Hornby tooling would struggle to do.

I think I can make up a piece which could include a desk to plug in behind the cab moulding.

Bit of neating up and polishing needed still but this was took just as I had put down my emery stick!

post-7587-0-08145800-1327059412.jpg

There are 144 window apertures to be filled to create a 325 a 12 car from a 319 and I have done two so far!

But I have sanded the window frames from the body sides from all the inner cars, I tried to take a picture but my battery wont let me!

142 to go...

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

Ian,

As you know, I'm facing a similar task myself so you have my sympathy with your 12-car set! I'm sure you'll get quicker at it, particularly with a 'production line' approach - i.e. glue all the windows in, then slap all the filler on, then do all the sanding (yawn!).

Just a thought on your cab: if you're planning to make clear resin castings (similar to injection mouldings supplied by Bratchell), you could just fill in the windscreen and light clusters, with perhaps a fine line around the edges. That way you could mask them off when painting the cab fronts, leaving them transparent. Personally, I'll just use the Hornby windscreens & lights because it's easier, but there may be benefits to casting your own cabs if you need 6 in total.

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will,

That was very much the plan with the cab fronts getting as much of the detail in as possible!

From advice so far though im looking at producing clear bits to fit now as no one can say if casting pourable clear resin can be acheived to a quality I would like to do the cab as one piece. It is seemingly easy enough to encaspualte items but these are more chunky.

The one piece idea was based just on that, there would be clear demarkation lines with screw fixings on thw wipacs which would add a nice touch and then the thick rubber window gromits on the cab screen.

All the bits in one place make one hell of a pile last night the first time I had got them all out in one place!

Taking the moulded frames down on the body side took one emery stick so far, which I am happy with. It is possible to take the frame down fairly quickly without taking any other detail off with just a little care.

Ian

• Like 1

Half way with getting the windows bunged up and boy Squadron Filler are going to make a few bob from me!

Going to bed with all the inner cars glazing taken down, glued in and a first stage of filling unuderway. Not a pretty sight but its taken a few good hours.

Seventy-two windows to go...

Oh and just had a burst on some of the frames on the DT's

Ian

post-7587-0-60224300-1327188400.jpg

post-7587-0-92372400-1327188411.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher

Bit of a clean up and dust down before more cleaning up of the actual inner sides starts later.

ENDS

I am going to begin to cut the gangways away later, but have a nagging doubt that some of the inner ends contain a rebate for control gear.

ROOVES

Some work will need to be undertaken on the rooves with removal of the toliet tanks being the biggest of the jobs, hopefully with careful paring away it will be original thats left with no additions.

The DT need a vent removing and a new bigger one added which would seem to be in the general area but slighty set back.

Ian

Just made a start on the ends and thankfully the gangway is easy to remove. I took a saw to the gangway edge cutting down both sides, I will then take the file to the edge to widen it out. I have also been able to keep the moulded bottom in place scoring the end away one down seventeen to go!

Pics to follow once my fone has took some charge..which will also make sense of the above hopefully.

Ian

Still removing things...half way with the ends....

razor saws are wonderful, just need to pare the side back and add some strip eighteen times..simple innit.

Its a case of going nice and steady down one side and almost going through then doing the other side score the bottom of the gangway and then cut three and gently twist the gangway out.

Ian

Still removing things...half way with the ends....

razor saws are wonderful, just need to pare the side back and add some strip eighteen times..simple innit.

Its a case of going nice and steady down one side and almost going through then doing the other side score the bottom of the gangway and then cut three and gently twist the gangway out.

Ian

post-7587-0-70068300-1327258724.jpg

Good old Wilkos just bought some heavy duty emery cloth to take care of the window surrounds.

Report to follow....

Happy with the sides so far they had a few extra tocuhes of filler added last night and see how they look later after tea.

Ian

Micheal its really nasty coarse stuff, the type of stuff that could take a finger tip off..

Its not for the sides!

Bit of progress via ebay in getting some extra cabs "I had a 2nd chance to buy" after some ebay malakry.. I always thought You had to bid more than 40p more to secure an item? I lost out yesterday, but had a 2nd chance to get em.Thats one of two parcels heading towards me this weeks so far..the other sounds very intersting indeed and opens a whole new door on the project...hmmm

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

Halfway with the windows for the DT's now and still with all the skin on my finger tips!

It is a sign of old age though when I get cramp in my fingers while sanding the frames off, I used to be able to knock a load out!

Off to buy some more Squadron putty-filler later Both colours (to aid filling)

More anon

Ian

For the last few DT's sides I am going to have a go at filling the windows a little quicker.

So far I have took the frame down to the bodyside, glued the roughed window glazing and frame in situ with some cement, then added a smear of putty smoothed out. Squadron filler does dry quick and once left over night I have been able to sand it, so far this is onto coat three, I am down to blemishes.

For the next lot I have roughened the frames a little more, these will be glued in and the apreture filled with putty, leaving in most cases some trace of beading on the body side. My hope is that once underway with the wet and dry it should result in less filling.

Thats the plan anyway..

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

Not sure how I go about posting images from others but hopefully a link is ok?

I just found this beauty!

http://jandjcottrell...fc4fa#h32fecf64

just came across this video too which gives lots of defintion to the undeframe on one side at least

Answer one or two questions for me, it also shows I have to add some strip and block in the top as a 319 panto roof end is a channel and not as in the pic..simple enough to do mind.

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Like 1

My fingers are sore and a little bit shiny...but more steady work tonight only a few more frames to roughen up and remove the glazing moulding.

And OK I am short a car in the pic...that must be the fully finnished one..if only!

post-7587-0-58010400-1327454770.jpg

Edited by Ian Fisher