Bury to Bacup video

I've just found this on youtube & thought it might be of interest to some of the rmwebbers showing the lost line from Rawtenstall to Bacup. The footage is a bit rough but there are some steamers in the video plus it gives a good view of some of the goods yards etc along the line.

Cheers

Simon

Smashin' stuff.

I worked for a haulage company in the early '80's and we operated out of the huge goods shed at Waterfoot, you just get a glimpse of it, to the left, at about 8:55.

Something else which caught my eye was the solitary rectank in that otherwise uniform train of 16t minerals at 8:45.

Thanks for posting.

• 1 year later...

living localy i have had much involvement with this line over the years ( bury-ramsbottom section ) , as kids we would play on it ( obviously avoiding the weekly class 40 hauled coal train !! )  as kids we had many walks and explores on it

as teenagers we rode motorcycles along it as it was  closed to all traffic for a spell in the 80's to get to the scrambling track at burrs , we also took girls there ( why wouldn't you ??) 

over the years i have  worked on the permanent way ( tamping track through brooksbottom tunnel )  one of the highlights was a footplate ride on a duchess from bury to rammy and back

• 2 months later...

This is truely a classic and has been around awhile now but one ive recently found is the last freight to Holcombe Brook (only goes to Tottington station) but is worth seeing, search youtube

Dan

Very interesting.  I find it hard to rationalise the views etc. on the current East Lancs Rlwy. with what I saw on the video, the 'extra' stations etc.  A lot must have changed! (or my memory's not to good!)  I used to drive up the valley from Rawtenstall to Bacup in the early 80's occasionally and the glimpses of bridge abutments etc. glimpsed between the mills, factories and terraces always intrigued me.  Now I know what it was like!

Thanks for posting.

Archived