S7 - 37408 from a JLTRT kit

Western Star

Yes the rear bulkhead is the problem one, I call the front one the control desk, but its only a name.

Richard

I had a look at the fit of parts.... joining the cab to the rear bulkhead before fitting the cab to the sides will be difficult in that the rear bulkhead is too narrow. If I assemble the roof/sides/floor and then insert the bulkhead into the opening, the bulkhead is loose, nothing too much and can be dealt with by plastic strip.

regards, Graham

I had a look at the fit of parts.... joining the cab to the rear bulkhead before fitting the cab to the sides will be difficult in that the rear bulkhead is too narrow. If I assemble the roof/sides/floor and then insert the bulkhead into the opening, the bulkhead is loose, nothing too much and can be dealt with by plastic strip.

regards, Graham

Graham

My bulkhead was actually too wide, but that is the problem with resin parts, it is very difficult to precise consistency in size, but you do get some beautiful detail which more thanmakes up for a bit of fiddling around.

As for when 37408 was painted red, I'm not sure but EWS came into being in 1996 and I think it would have happened fairly soon after that, the big depots can all do repaints these days so the loco does not need to go back to works.

Richard

As for when 37408 was painted red, I'm not sure but EWS came into being in 1996 and I think it would have happened fairly soon after that, the big depots can all do repaints these days so the loco does not need to go back to works.

Richard

Oh b****r, Peter wants the 37 to be in large logo more yellow livery,with the Westie. He also wants to have a 66 in EWS red... so the time line is rather tight and very short given the date when the 66s were introduced.

What amazes me is the freightliner FFA/FGA saga which is unfolding elsewhere, "Freightliner" is a household name (like Hoover only you push that) and it looks like the original wagons are scarce on the ground. Somebody did a walk around of Felixstowe last Sunday and could not find any FFA/FGA sets... as the Histericals say so often and so pointedly, "history begins today", in the case of the flats that seems to be the case. Rather like asking about the tanks on cl37 before the re-furb... or more recently - the date when 37s were fitted with a stand for an upright red extinguisher (see "Great British Raiway World" website for cl 37 interiors).

regards, Graham

Graham

That doesn't surprise me, when I worked for RfD in the early nineties we were always looking for new low wagons to replace the FFAs as container sizes just kept getting bigger and bigger. We bought quite a big batch for use into Europe with the opening of the channel. I think they were in pairs, funded through a company called ACI, for whom I was briefly the financial controller.

Going back to 37408 here is a link to it in large logo in 1997

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44483738@N05/5271985705/

Graham

Here are some photos of how mine are progressing

The first is of the 3 bodies completed so far

post-4453-0-44362300-1330249061_thumb.jpg

The next is the motor bogie

post-4453-0-23912400-1330249111_thumb.jpg

The next is of the motor bogie without the resin sides

post-4453-0-94285000-1330249163_thumb.jpg

Then an underneath shot of the boige showing all 3 axles driven

post-4453-0-84830200-1330249230_thumb.jpg

The last one one is of the non powered bogie, you can see on this how much closer the brakes are to the wheels. This has required some careful adjusting to avoid shorts.

The motor bogie has longer brake adjusted to push the brakes away from the wheels to avoid this.

post-4453-0-24865400-1330249385_thumb.jpg

And finally a side view of what will be 37226.

post-4453-0-13064400-1330249486_thumb.jpg

A very interesting set of photographs, thank you Richard. People say that it is the little details which make the difference and the first photo illustrates the point rather well.- the location of the fire extinguisher pull and the impact of its positioning on the visual appearance of the nose grills.

Our JLTRT 37 kit came with resin inner frames for the bogies whilst yours are brass.... S7 might be the answer.... on the other hand might not so I shall ask.

What is the reason for the brass inner frame?

How are the resin outer frame sides fixed to the brass inner frame?

regards, Graham

A very interesting set of photographs, thank you Richard. People say that it is the little details which make the difference and the first photo illustrates the point rather well.- the location of the fire extinguisher pull and the impact of its positioning on the visual appearance of the nose grills.

Our JLTRT 37 kit came with resin inner frames for the bogies whilst yours are brass.... S7 might be the answer.... on the other hand might not so I shall ask.

What is the reason for the brass inner frame?

How are the resin outer frame sides fixed to the brass inner frame?

regards, Graham

Graham

I want to power all three axles on one bogie and have 3 beam compensation, you cannot do that with the resin inner frame. I am also only powering one bogie.

The brass inner frame is my own design that I had etched. The resin outer frames just clip into holes in the side of the brass inner frame, you could glue them if you wished but I haven't found that necessary so far.

One thing you may have noticed on the power bogie, there is a bar runnung right across between the brake hangars, I beleive this to be correct from the photos I have found of bogies.

Richard

One thing you may have noticed on the power bogie, there is a bar runnung right across between the brake hangars, I beleive this to be correct from the photos I have found of bogies.

Richard

There is indeed a rod going from brake block to brake block but you have it too high on the brake hanger pivot where it should be on the brake block pivot shown in the picture.

Nice bogies though, just wish they were like this from JLTRT.

post-6766-0-81977400-1330280097.jpg

Good to see that Brian is keeping a check on what we are doing here...

Now a question for Brian and Richard, a question regarding the brass castings for the buffer stocks and the buffer rams. Peter is building 37408 with the JLTRT castings for the buffers shown in Brian's picture in post #33.... and I have the job of cleaning the castings and sorting the springing. I have smoothed the buffing face with No.2, No.4 and No.6 cut flat files and polished the round surfaces of the rams with 240, 400 and 600 grit wet and dry. I have cleaned all of the investment out of the stocks with a cocktail stick and a steel pin in a pin chuck. Rams fit stocks and slide smoothly.

Two problems...

[1] the buffing faces are not at right angles to the buffer ram axis...

[2] the buffers are not lying "true" with respect to the top straight edge of the buffer stocks.

I am not sure if I can ease the plane of the buffer faces - only time will tell. As to the appearance of the buffers - that is, the buffers appear to have rotated to 11 o'clock from TDC - I guess that I shall have to try to move the slot in the ram a touch.

How are the buffers on your models?

regards, Graham

There is indeed a rod going from brake block to brake block but you have it too high on the brake hanger pivot where it should be on the brake block pivot shown in the picture.

Brian,

Accepting what you say about the rod between the brake block hangers... how are the ends of the prototype bogie side frames "tied" together?

regards, Graham

here are a couple of pictures on my 37069 that are vertical and at 12:00! I have used these buffers quite a lot on other locos and not had any noticable problems with them.

OK - must be me.... there is a possibility that I have filed the outer edge of the buffer face "out-of-true".... in which case I have been consistent with each of the four rams!!!! Any idea of the width / height of the buffer faces? Any head-on photo of the prototype which shows this style of buffer?

Brian,

Accepting what you say about the rod between the brake block hangers... how are the ends of the prototype bogie side frames "tied" together?

regards, Graham

The end stretchers are riveted to the sideframes but I see from my pictures there are 2 styles of corner bracing.

post-6766-0-73868500-1330286224.jpg

post-6766-0-65939000-1330286227.jpg

OK - must be me.... there is a possibility that I have filed the outer edge of the buffer face "out-of-true".... in which case I have been consistent with each of the four rams!!!! Any idea of the width / height of the buffer faces? Any head-on photo which shows this style of buffer?

I would not think you have filed them out of square. Do you want a head on picture of a model or the real thing?

The end stretchers are riveted to the sideframes but I see from my pictures there are 2 styles of corner bracing.

I see what you mean about two styles of end beam being rivetted to the side frames. JYou have said in previous messages that there are two types of bogie - cast and built-up - riveted end beams with built-up sides is understandable, how were the ends done with cast bogies? (Cue for comparison photos of the different types of side frames?)

There is a small detail in your photos which are intriguing - a bracket which is parallel to and overlapping the face of the tyre - what can you tell me about this fitting?

regards, Graham

The cast bogie frame is a one piece casting with no joins in the corners!

What I think you are trying to sort out is a bracket to keep the brake blocks in check, a couple of pictures attached to show it on a cast and fabricated bogie.

Can't find a head on shot of an oval buffer I'm affraid.

post-6766-0-71907400-1330347486.jpg

post-6766-0-81430800-1330347489.jpg

post-6766-0-89869900-1330347493.jpg

The cast bogie frame is a one piece casting with no joins in the corners!

What I think you are trying to sort out is a bracket to keep the brake blocks in check, a couple of pictures attached to show it on a cast and fabricated bogie.

All is now clear....

The photos in post #39 and the second photo in post #43 show built-up bogies and a rivetted end beam makes sense in that scenario. The first and third photos in post #43 show cast bogies and the end beam is integral with the side frames... sensible given that the bogie frame is cast. Only when I looked at the photos again, whilst typing this post, did I see that the bracket, referred to above, has different shapes and mounting locations in the two photos of the cast bogies. Do the first / third photos in post #43 show the same type of cast bogie frame? Sorting the details indeed.

Without a general arrangement drawing of a cl37 bogie it is difficult to be sure... if the bracket is intended to keep the brake block in "check" then that suggests that the cl37 was known for throwing brake blocks sideways under braking conditions (and that is why the GWR brake hanger is angled to the frames / at right angles to the tread of the tyre... the angled brake hanger applies the brake force to the tyre in a perpendicular moment and hence the block does not run off of the tyre).

thank you for the photos.

regards, Graham

Looks like 50's had the large brackets at both ends of the bogies

post-6766-0-50361600-1330438600.jpg

Some ran without them though

post-6766-0-06961500-1330438591.jpg

Deltics had the flat cast on the corner to fit a towing eye.

post-6766-0-80903100-1330438752.jpg

37419 has the towing eye fitted so was this bogie an ex Deltic one?

post-6766-0-19765900-1330438597.jpg

37333 has the large brackets at both ends, from a 50 perhaps?

post-6766-0-14620500-1330438594.jpg

You're probably right in your assumptions about the 50 and 55 bogies, Brian. As I understand it, when those respective classes were scrapped, at least some of the bogie frames found their way into the class 37 spares pool.

Thank you for the photo of 37408 and for the link to the other cl 37 photos.

Well - what started as a simple question, triggered by photos of Richard's models, has shown that the bogies were either cast or built-up... and that the cast bogies came in two styles (round or square corners) and the built-up types had two different styles of headstock beam (differing in the shape of the ends and hence the method of fixing). Further, the bracket for preventing run-out/off of the brake block could be either bolted to the cast frame (square corners) or welded (I think) to the underneath of the headstock (built-up frame and cast frame with round corners).

The photo of 37408 at Fort William shows cast frames with square corners and no run-out brackets.

The photos of "Deltic" bogies... cast frames / square cornes / four tapped holes for either the run-out bracket or the "lifting eye".... why would the Cl55s warrant a towing eye?

Just a thought or two...

[1] any photos of a bogie with "eyes" and brake block "run-out" brackets?

[2] when were the different types / styles of bogie current for production of the various Cl 37 / 50 / 55 builds?

* built-up frame with "tube" end to the headstock;

* built-up frame with "solid" end to the headstock;

* cast frame with round corners;

* cast frame with square corners.

Of historical interest - what chance that any Cl37 bogie frame was used under either a CL50 or a Cl55?

Anyone want to ask Laurie if JLTRT has all four versions of these bogie frames?

regards, Graham

Archived