Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

S7 - 37408 from a JLTRT kit

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationNear to... yet far enough away from... Basingstoke

Posted 29 February 2012 - 14:50

50007 has pucker 50 bogies under it.

How about the photo of 50 004 in post #45?

I will stick my neck out here and say I think most 37's that had cast bogies had the flat on the front corners and plain rounded rear corners.

Oh dear, just when I thought that "bogie spotting" was a safe hobby.... Brian stops lurking and produces a spanner.

I had considered the possibility that the cast bogie had a square corner to the side frame at one end of the frame and a round corner at the other end of the frame... and then thought "do not be so stupid... there are brake hangers at each end of the frame and if the front brake blocks need retaining then so do the rear brake blocks". So I ignored that thought in spite of the photographic evidence in post #45 - see the second photo which has a cast bogie with a front square corner plus a brake block bracket bolted to that square corner... no brake block bracket at the rear corner and, apparently, no square edge to the rear corner of the frame!

Makes me wonder just how the brake block bracket is attached to the rear corner of a cast frame with square front corner. No wonder that Laurie thinks these diesels are just trouble.

Any other photos of EE bogies Brian?

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star, 29 February 2012 - 14:52 .

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#52 richard carr

richard carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 16:54

Graham

I'm pretty sure JLTRT only do one type of 37 bogie side frame, as when I asked for a replacement set as mine were so warped, I wasn't asked which type do I want, he just sent me some that are identical to all the others.

Diesels have a remarkable number of variations, you clearly need to pick your photo of what you are modelling and stick to that.

Brian thanks for all the detail photos, these are really useful, I am going to have the change the numbers of some of mine.

Richard

#53 brian daniels

brian daniels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationOxford

Posted 29 February 2012 - 17:57

Sorry I appear to have given you a headache!

Picture attached of the rear of a cast bogie on 37203 showing the small bracket welded underneath.

JLTRT do the cast bogie frame for their 50 but as far I am concerned it is not deep enough. Look at the picture of their 37 and 50 bogie next to each other. The brake gear is a bit differant in height as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 37203 (09).jpg
  • IMG_9693.jpg

• Like x 1

#54 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 18:36

Brian thanks for all the detail photos, these are really useful, I am going to have the change the numbers of some of mine.

Ooopps, sorry.... I only asked a question.It is not the questions which cause the angst, 'tis them answers which are the problem.

regards, Graham

#55 sixteen 12by 10s

sixteen 12by 10s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 21:52

Hi

Got you PM

Here is a close up from the original photo, and another taken at Llandudno junction? 1993.
The sanding pipes, up until a month ago, I had a couple in my workshop for repair, do you want some close ups from 37190?

Gary

408 bogie.jpg

37001.jpg
  • Like x 1

#56 richard carr

richard carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:32

Thats not a problem Graham, I prefer to get things right if I can.

I'm making some good progress though, the first loco 37226 is now on its bogies and runs beautifully. I just need to build a lot more bogies and finish the 4th body so that I can prime that and then start painting them all.

Richard

#57 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 13:03

Here is ... and another taken at Llandudno junction? 1993.

The whole engine photo... 1993... is this an Eastfield Mascot or that close relative the Machynlleth Welsh Westie? (as per your post to another thread here:- http://www.rmweb.co....om-blue-to-red/ )

I shall be interested to see how the sanding gear gets installed, thank you.

Brian - is the photo of 37408 another instance of a cast bogie with square-edged front corners and round rear corners? (not sure is the rear corner is round, difficult to tell because of the angle of the photo).

regards, Graham

#58 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 13:48

Here are some photos of how mine are progressing

The next is of the motor bogie without the resin sides

After all this discussion about the different types of bogie frame I have had a peek into the box / read the instructions and then thought about a question or two.

First for Richard... with the brake hangers and pull rods attached to the brass inner frame, how are the wheels removed for painting and maintenance?

Then for Brian or Richard... our kit contains four sideframes (and built-up ones Brian, in spite of what was requested from Laurie) and no end beams / headstocks. What have you guys done in respect of this prototype feature?

regards, Graham

#59 brian daniels

brian daniels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationOxford

Posted 01 March 2012 - 18:32

The end stretchers are on the inner bogie frame moulding.

The brakes and their etch adjuster are just placed in the holes with a spot of PVA glue so should you need to remove the wheels later they will come off fairly easily, well that's the plan!

Looks like in the picture that 37408 has the flat at the front and plain at the rear.

By the way I don't know if you are aware but all these bogie pictures and other details are on my Flickr site. And just keep plodding through the 37 pictures to see what bogies are under them.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8007.jpg

Edited by brian daniels, 01 March 2012 - 18:35 .

• Like x 1

#60 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 19:41

The end stretchers are on the inner bogie frame moulding.

Thank you for posting a photo of a completed bogie. I understand now how the end beams are formed. I guess that Richard made his own end beam because the inner frame for the bogie is also of his manufacture. Peter has ordered ABC diesel motor bogies and that shall require him to make his own end beams as well!

Looks like in the picture that 37408 has the flat at the front and plain at the rear.

That is my feeling as well.

By the way I don't know if you are aware but all these bogie pictures and other details are on my Flickr site. And just keep plodding through the 37 pictures to see what bogies are under them.

Thank you for reminding me... it is those pictures which are not on your site.... of which I am not aware (as yet).

regards, Graham

#61 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:01

Peter asked Brian Daniels for advice before ordering the JLTRT kit for a Cl. 37/4 and that advice was passed to JLTRT with the order. In spite of sending the information on engine no., period, bogie type, I now realise that we received built-up bogie frames rather than the cast bogie frames as fitted to 37408 - so I made a telephone call to Laurie this afternoon. "No problem" said Laurie, "I shall send you a complete set of parts for a cast-frame bogie". Whilst not wishing to look a gift-horse in the mouth etc., I suggested that changing the side frames would be enough... and this is the point of this post.

JLTRT does two types of three axle EE bogie - the cast-frame bogie which was developed for the Cl.50 kit and the built-up-frame bogie which was developed for the Cl.37 kit. So a Cl.37/4 kit ought to have been packed with the Cl.50 bogies. At this point I took breath and asked "are the parts interchangeable between the different bogie frames?". Well, no - according to Laurie. The cast-frame outers from a Cl.50 kit do not fit an inner bogie frame from a Cl.37.... and there are other differences in regards to the brake gear.

Time will tell... when the replacement bogies arrive.

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star, 01 March 2012 - 20:02 .

#62 Pugsley

Pugsley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationA hip hop chip shop

Posted 01 March 2012 - 21:20

So a Cl.37/4 kit ought to have been packed with the Cl.50 bogies.

That's not, strictly speaking, true. As with most other subclasses of 37, the cast bogies are distributed at random - for instance 37415 has the fabricated bogies at both ends, so the kit as supplied is appropriate. It's a matter of choosing your prototype, studying it closely and then ordering the kit.

Personally, looking at those class 50 bogies, I'd have stuck with the fabricated ones, even if they weren't totally correct!

#63 richard carr

richard carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:07

Graham

Removing the wheels is nigh on impossible once you have fitted the pull rods, these trap the wheels in place, everything is soldered in place. Painting isn't a problem but maintenance maybe, if its ever required.

Yes I made my own end beams these are a simple fold up etch . I have tried to replicate the inner bogie frame moulding in brass. It is not exactly the same but it is near enough for me. The main benefit is a fully compensated 3 point suspension bogie.

I have now tested the first pair and they perform exactly as planned coping perfectly with the deliberate imperfections of my test track.

Richard
  • Like x 1

#64 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:16

I have now tested the first pair and they perform exactly as planned coping perfectly with the deliberate imperfections of my test track.

So there is a West Mersea mole in the Croscombe Magna permanent way gang!

#65 richard carr

richard carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 21:17

Graham

Thankfully not, I have a separate test track in my workshop that has some nice bumpy track.

I put the other 2 bodies together yesterday, so here are 5 37s all lined up together.

Richard

jltrt 37s (1 of 1).jpg
  • Like x 1

#66 Western Star

Western Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 21:21

I put the other 2 bodies together yesterday, so here are 5 37s all lined up together.

This looks like being greedy...

#67 brian daniels

brian daniels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationOxford

Posted 05 March 2012 - 21:25

Does look a nice line-up though.

#68 sixteen 12by 10s

sixteen 12by 10s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 21:48

Hi again
After a very wet visit to a place we know as Swampwick Junction, I have you a few photos. I work on these locos regularly, and done a traction motor change on the 37, but this thread as opened my eyes up to one or two things. First, the 37 has towing brackets on, number two end bogie only, the other is the difference between the 37's and 50007's bogie, the main one been the fixing for the strengthened break hanger bracket on the 50.
I have included a photo of one of the traction motors, to prove the bogies origin.
Hope this helps
Gary

DSCF0220.jpg
DSCF0221.jpg
DSCF0222.jpg
DSCF0225.jpg
DSCF0228.jpg
  • Like x 1

#69 richard carr

richard carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 22:09

But only 4 of them are mine.
  • Like x 1