Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

It might have been me being stuck in the stone age of DC and 3-links! I just found the DCC over complicated, and took away part of the pleasure of operating it. It was better when I was told that I could press a button to increase speed 10 thingies at a time, and press another one to stop it, rather than lots of mad fiddling with a thumbwheel, but a simple knob and reversing switch seems much better to me. It kept having to be reset too, by unplugging it, as there seemed to be something odd about the loco. I think I'll bypass DCC, and wait to see what happens with radio control! I'm not aware of the loco, or the layout, having any sort of noises, lights and things.

I couldn't get the Kadees to uncouple with the magnets on the traverser, so had to fiddle with them with a pointy thing. I got the hang of that in the end, but they didn't seem to couple reliably either. I've got a similar thing with my Bachmann On30 coaches, so it's rather put me off them.

Both these things have confirmed to me that I want simple operating, and reliable coupling and remote uncoupling on my layouts. If someone comes up with a complete set of miniature proper steam loco controls I might learn to drive it properly, but making totally unrealistic electronic controls more complex is nuts!

Nice layout apart from that though, and it's encouraged me to get Cheapside Yard working so I can do some more shunting!

Interesting issue John, Not surprised you are put off by DCC and also the Kadees.

I can honestly say that both system are usually far easier to set up and operate with far less issues you had.

I use both on my 7mm layout with great success.

• 2 months later...

Only a few weeks to go befor the small cardiff model railway show.

Sat 23rd january 2016

The scout hall, pontcanna,

Fields park road,

Cardiff

Ample free parking

12 choice layouts from local modellers.

Please see the other threads on the forum.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103912-small-model-railway-show-cardiff/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On a personal note, I like mine unwashed with a slimy brown ring.

And no sugar. Sugar.

All noted, Honey Chops.

Unwashed, slimy brown ring.

Got it.

Edited by nhy581

I'm just doing a day trip from over the border (all being well and assuming the border is open of course).

If you are coming to our little, local gathering, it would be good to meet up Mike.

I'll be either on "Rosamund Street" or the door !

But then you'll hear me before you see me (ditto for my brother too !!)

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

If you are coming to our little, local gathering, it would be good to meet up Mike.

I'll be either on "Rosamund Street" or the door !

But then you'll hear me before you see me (ditto for my brother too !!)

Brian R

It will be good to meet Brian (and various others of course).  Being the sort of featherbrain I occasionally am nowadays I might even wear my RMweb badge (if I remember it) so that at least I know who I am ;)

As a new member and a tri-ang man i will be there looking forward to it i need some coaching on layout modelling i am located in magor so not to far for me.

Hello Andy.

Come along, ask some questions.

All the modellers who have pledged layouts form a sort of loose band (of brothers ?), many of whom are members of RMWeb.

We all started somewhere, and knowing all the exhibitors and assistants personally, I can vouch for their willingness to help newcomers or returnees to the hobby.

Similarly we all share a desire to recruit more youngsters into the hobby, and away from the technological distractions of the present day.

Come along and introduce yourself

You won't regret it.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

I'm just doing a day trip from over the border (all being well and assuming the border is open of course).

And you will find me operating Minster,

Please do say hello - this applies to you all, even HH as long as no mud from his hollow is left about!  :) :) :) :)

Dave

The show is now on the exhibition calendar.

There should be some signs on the roadways near the venue for those travelling in by car mainly from from the east, following the A48

To those who are a bit more familiar with Cardiff, the site is close to the old HTV studio site, and adjacent to the large changing room facility for the sports grounds at Pontcanna fields. ( behind llandaff fields).

The other one (who won't be there, probably) - it's an age thing apparently. 

Unfortunate that - I have a brace of bottles of Reverend James going begging; and me being a bitter man (in more ways than one)it is doubtful such a concoction will pass my lips, whereas I know that a certain 'Turk' ex-pat is partial to this product of Samuel Arthur BrAIn.

Brian R

• Like 2