Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Spawd Bone Lane

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

I started this musing, 2 1/2 years ago on the previous forum, having recently bought the excellent Dapol 66720 my thoughts have returned to (possibly (unlikely knowing me !)) making a small, but interesting to operate, layout.

Spawd Bone Lane is actually Knottingley East Junction, my fictious name comes from a local (to KY) street

Here's what I wrote way back then

The track plan is very simple consisting of 3 points and a trap there is a portacabin which supervises the level crossing but requires a release from Ferrybridge Power box before the gates can be opened.

The chord is bi-directional, the down main is signalled for wrong line moves but I have never seen one. (Since writing this I have seen one but only a shunt move)

To the left, off the area under consideration, local services terminate and shunt forward, on the up line towards the signal to the right, on the prototype there is just enough room for a 4 vehicle unit, 2 X 158s maximum, they then reverse and head back to form the next service, this can be either using the chord (there are connections to facilitate this off scene) or the down main line. Coal trains (loaded and empty) pass through on the main lines and also use the chord in both directions,

My thoughts for this plan are to assume there is a cross country type passenger service on the main lines, a further infrequent local one on the chord and use a bigger variety of freight, the terminating locals will become alternate terminators and through services

post-6662-0-47236900-1327141509.jpg

Time for some more musing about what size boards would do it justice.

• RMweb Gold

Will it be in N or 00?

I know you said "small" in the above but I have never seen you do anything in a small way before.

Pete

N gauge most likes, until Widnes is finished with and the stock returns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit more musing on this, the fiddle yard needs to be able to feed into the single line section from either side, as it's bi-directional, so I've been considering a flyover - none of this will be on the scenic section.

Sketch - NOT to any form of scale or necessarily exactly how the track will lie.

post-6662-0-48800800-1327955173_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

The only thing I'm wondering about the flyover is what sort of gradient you will have and whether any trains of the size you have in mind will be able to get up it? (that apart it's a clever idea and i like it).

Thats the bit that concerns me too - but at least I'm musing the right direction !, it's the nearest to building my own layout I've been in many years :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I'd have thought that the double slips in the FY would give you the flexibility you need without the flyover.

True but at the expense of simultaneous running, that solution is the fall back one.

• RMweb Premium

With regard to gradients - you've got up chord (from fiddle yard to flyover) going wide with a long run up, so best use of the space there to minimise the incline. Once over the main lines, it can drop fairly severely as trains (I presume) will only be going down and not up that section, until it joins the down chord to form the bi-directional line. You could even bring the up chord over the down chord as well and drop it down on the inside - especially if it's all out of view.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

With regard to gradients - you've got up chord (from fiddle yard to flyover) going wide with a long run up, so best use of the space there to minimise the incline. Once over the main lines, it can drop fairly severely as trains (I presume) will only be going down and not up that section, until it joins the down chord to form the bi-directional line. You could even bring the up chord over the down chord as well and drop it down on the inside - especially if it's all out of view.

it's bi-drectional so potentially trains will be going in both directions, but possibly only units in the uphill direction.

I've shown this musing, it's pretty rough at the moment, to give an idea as to how I approach the design of fiddle yards, not just a fan of sidings but some genuine thought (as much as I can muster anyway!) into making sure the fiddle yard supports the traffic the scenic section needs, this is an important point that a lot of modellers miss, imho.

Some more doodling and then it may be time to use a proper planning package to see what size boards would be needed to get something reasonable in the space, if the domestic plans come off over this year I will have plenty of room at home so it's then down to managable size for one "man" to build, and possibly to transport if I decide to actually build it, and if so, make it exhibitable.

I was at the prototype location (Knottingley East) again over last weekend and the more I see it the more I like it, a unit shunt and a couple of light engine shunt moves whilst I was there, along with a coal passing through (wasn't there for too long as I was chasing 66720 elsewhere!, in fact 720 will be passing there in the next few hours, as it's at Drax at the moment).

So maybe ...

• RMweb Premium

it's bi-drectional so potentially trains will be going in both directions, but possibly only units in the uphill direction.

Should've realised that it's also for access to the "up" side of the yard, whilst travelling in the down direction - one of theose "DOH!" moments......

I hope your plans work out. It's about time I started with the next project - thinking about an infrastructure yard bias. If you have any photos of Whitemoor ???? :)

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Should've realised that it's also for access to the "up" side of the yard, whilst travelling in the down direction - one of theose "DOH!" moments......

I hope your plans work out. It's about time I started with the next project - thinking about an infrastructure yard bias. If you have any photos of Whitemoor ???? :)

Cheers,

Mick

Here's a picture of Whitemoor - probably not what you had in mind though!

:jester:

Andy

post-6509-0-12934400-1330529450.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The announcement of the 70 in N gauge means it's time to get on with this, acquisitions are starting today.

Currently the stock stands at

1 BDA

I think I might need a bit more !

Archived