3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello,

Thanks Jaspaw, I shall load some better photos shortly, but may have to wait until better light to take them.

Does anyone here read Hornby magazine, as I believe these is a mention of these wagons in there. However I haven't read it myself yet.

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

Hi WBF,

As mentioned before, the wagons look great. I notice you have fitted tension lock couplings. Are these attached direct to the wagon body, or in the case of the warwell to the bogies? Also, are the couplings contained within standard NEM pockets?

Many thanks,

Jaspaw

Hello Jaspaw,

The couplings on my wagons are glued directly onto balsa wood blocks onto the underside of the wagon, since these photos were taken though I have moved the coupling further forward between the jacks to avoid interlocking on very tight sections. The ramp wagon are slightly different as they lie on a sheet of plastic card on the base of the wagon instead of balsa. At one end a section of the jack rigging (the rod that appears from the middle of the wagon to one end) has to be removed but can be reattached to the end of the coupling. All the couplings that I have used are the Bachmann cranked couplings that they fit to most of there BR 60's stock.

Hope these are of use.

post-13109-0-37425700-1337022896_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-13370300-1337022913_thumb.jpg

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

I managed to get some work done in a little bit of spare time, so decided to start a new project after being tempted by another thread.

Can anyone guess what it is yet?

post-13109-0-62813100-1337028204_thumb.png

post-13109-0-79468400-1337028207_thumb.png

Also does anyone have any information on these as I only have some basic drawings and there are some photo's on PB's website.

Finally I have managed to find some drawings for the modern warflats so when I have more time I may draw them up, what's your opinion on that would you be interested?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Silly Q -

What are the essential differences between a WW2 condition Warwell and a "modern" post-70's Warwell - other than changing the diamond frame bogies and fitting of air-brakes ?

WBF - Keep up the good work - Be nice to see that Rectank in production please - then I can scrap my rubbish "scratch-built" version.

Haven't seen it mentioned after your Q above but there was a piece at the bottom of Page 10 of the June Hornby Magazine detailing the progress so far etc....

• Like 1

Hello thanks for your comments and photos,

Pete is correct it is a crane such as these,

http://paulbartlett..../brtwinjibcrane photos 5 and 8 etc.

Thought it may be an interesting project.

Can anyone help me please as I need some better dimension for the modern warflats such as the depth of the frames/ deck and trusses?

Also just found this which may be of use to those into the gwr http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/military/ww2-warflat-train-gwr-1.htm

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Silly Q -

What are the essential differences between a WW2 condition Warwell and a "modern" post-70's Warwell - other than changing the diamond frame bogies and fitting of air-brakes ?

WBF - Keep up the good work - Be nice to see that Rectank in production please - then I can scrap my rubbish "scratch-built" version.

Haven't seen it mentioned after your Q above but there was a piece at the bottom of Page 10 of the June Hornby Magazine detailing the progress so far etc....

Hello,

Its not a silly question

The difference between the WW2 warwells that I do and the post 2003 ones in development is such as you state the change in brakes and bogies, but also post 2003 examples have frame extension on the sides and ends to make loading of larger vehicles easier such as warriors (Or so I believe), also the deck is now filled in however this happened sometime between the war and the 1970's.

If you are looking for early 70's you could get away with using the WW2 warwells on the diamond bogies but the deck should be filled in as shown on the photos on PB's website.

For later 1970's you would probably have to swap the bogies to the GP22.5's

Hope this is of use to you.

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello,

Its not a silly question

The difference between the WW2 warwells that I do and the post 2003 ones in development is such as you state the change in brakes and bogies, but also post 2003 examples have frame extension on the sides and ends to make loading of larger vehicles easier such as warriors (Or so I believe), also the deck is now filled in however this happened sometime between the war and the 1970's.

If you are looking for early 70's you could get away with using the WW2 warwells on the diamond bogies but the deck should be filled in as shown on the photos on PB's website.

For later 1970's you would probably have to swap the bogies to the GP22.5's

Hope this is of use to you.

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

The modification to the Warwell to accommodate Warriors is a platform which raises the height of the well floor so the vehicle is within gauge for platforms- the rest of the wagon remains unaltered. It's a pretty tricky operation loading these, as someone discovered during the press launch, when one went over the side. There may be some You-Tube footage of this, as a Tyne-Tees cameraman filmed it.

• Like 1

Hello,

Thanks Brian, I think I have read about that incident, I think it was on the Redmire Branch (now Wensleydale Railway). Yes the warriors do require the extra platforms but I believe that some if not all warwells now have extra plates on the sides and above the buffers to make the deck wider and protect the buffers, I am unsure when these were fitted, but they appear on the photos from 2003.

You may see what I mean in this photo, just above the buffers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5854196659/in/set-72157627008284776

Hope Brian Daniels doesn't mind me using his great photo's

Hope this helps explain what I mean.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks Mark,

Brilliant photo by the way, I looks as though the sides fold back against the sole bar. I had not noticed that in the original photo. Also that diagram is certainly of use.

Anyone interested in of model of these wagons let me know, If I was to produce it what would people think about having the side supports separate to allow you to model it in either condition (eg, folded or extended).

I could find use for this on my layout (If I am not careful my Cumbrian layout will slowly turn into one of the LMR).

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Today I have received samples of the forthcoming PFA container flat and 80t warwells, Both appear good to me, however some changes are required to the PFA, I have checked and it will accept a 20ft container, it just drops onto the mounting pins. 80t is fine, just awaiting the correct sized wheels to make sure it runs okay.

Hopefully post some photos tomorrow.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

As mentioned here are some photos of the 80t warwells and the PFA container flat, the wheels should arrive next week and if all clear the 80 tonner should go on sale then, the PFA however needs some modification work to the underside and will require a reprint. Next up is the Rectanks and Warflats (WW2/ PO).

post-13109-0-95440100-1337967961_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-93003000-1337968002_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-16739100-1337968266_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-17397300-1337968324_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-25284900-1337968361_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately they cannot be pre ordered, however I will post the link when they become available.

Please be aware that finer details such as rivets and handbrake wheels etc, need to be sourced seperately.

Did you say the 80t's should be bauxite?

Regards

Wild Boar Fell,

I have also finally got my layout (Wild Boar Fell) out of winter storage, so some photos of my warwells on it may appear soon, before I modify the layout.

Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately they cannot be pre ordered, however I will post the link when they become available.

Please be aware that finer details such as rivets and handbrake wheels etc, need to be sourced seperately.

Did you say the 80t's should be bauxite?

Regards

Wild Boar Fell,

I have also finally got my layout (Wild Boar Fell) out of winter storage, so some photos of my warwells on it may appear soon, before I modify the layout.

The ones that worked out of BSC Landore were bauxite; I have seen photos of others that might be grey; if I remember correctly, the Landore ones worked to Ravenscraig with ingot moulds, so you'd have an excuse for one working through Cumbria.

• Like 1