New countryside embankment diorama

Hello,

To tide me over until I can start on the new layout I have decided to build a 3x2ft diorama, I also wanted something to take pictures of my locos and rolling stock on.

Full details and pictures can be found on the Building Trenton website here:

http://www.buildingtrenton.com/category/diorama/

Thanks for looking and suggestions on what I can/should include are welcome.

Cheers

James

Hi,

Thanks for the comment, I'm not sure about the backscene yet, I may just leave it open because I planned to use it for photographing my models on and I wanted to do it outside. I like the idea of real trees and sky as long as the perspective is correct.

Cheers

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Latest update on the diorama can be found here:

http://www.buildingtrenton.com/category/diorama/

I laid the second piece of track and added more grasses to the meadow area. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make the transition from ballast to grass less obvious...

Lots of new pictures, an example below. Class 37 in Transrail livery with prototype orange tree in the background. :-)

6922248853_bf14b3c64c_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello James,

Looked at your blog and liked the Indian Ink idea for the track ballast, I have always used diluted water based black paint and wondered if you used the ink diluted with some washing lquid to make it 'wetter'.

Jim

Re: Backscene. As you'll be using this for photos I would suggest you make it interchangeable or removable altogether...

Your double stacked containers are NOT a fantasy here in the 'States - you could do it on your diorama with US stock. Why be constrained by country??????

Best, Pete.

PS I just realized that you live in California!!!

Nice diorama

Looked at your blog. I agree with you about the height of the background.

Looking forward to your urban diorama. I think my next project also will be an urban diorama.

I discovered I like creating a scene more than fiddling around with a train.

regards,

Job

• 3 months later...

Hello James,

Looked at your blog and liked the Indian Ink idea for the track ballast, I have always used diluted water based black paint and wondered if you used the ink diluted with some washing lquid to make it 'wetter'.

Jim

Hi Jim

Sorry it took so long to respond, new baby boy tends to take any time. To answer your question I used the ink just diluted. I never thought about using washing up liquid to make it wetter. I might give that a try next time.

James

• RMweb Premium

This looks like a great place to display and photograph your favourite models. For the background, you could try dispensing with the printed sky, take the model outdoors and set it up at an angle on some trestles or whatever - this way you can include the real sky and its clouds and the tops of some real trees (and get the benefits of natural daylight), but avoid unwanted buildings and roofs. The only constraint is arranging the trains so they don't roll away - perhaps a discrete pin into the baseboard would work.

Archived