On 298's Traction Workbench...

Rather than clutter my current layout thread, "Wiley City" http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33657-wiley-city/page__fromsearch__1 or "Selah (Fruit Row)" http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42513-selah-fruit-row-remembered/page__fromsearch__1 with workbench developments, I thought I'd start a new prototype/model thread here as this grouping seems to get more appropriate traffic than the Overseas Modelling section.

First up we have a black 298, finally painted, decaled, glazed and weathered after a delay of several years due to me not being able to decide the best way to replicate the lettering I'd need. I finally ended up scanning an image of the loco and extracting, tidying up, and printing the required numbers and lettering onto white transfer paper from Crafty Computer Paper. The results were actually better than expected, the major issue being the slightly raised background and trying to hide the white edges.

post-6819-0-44544200-1327429554_thumb.jpg

Of course I had to properly introduce this pair, in actual fact it's the same loco but with 30+ years between them. It was always the intention to backdate the layout to an earlier period with black freight motors and Interurban traffic, and I hope to briefly run the layout in the earlier period when Wiley City goes to the Nottingham Show in March. I initially wanted to model the loco in it's "as built" condition, but this wouldn't have fitted in too well with the dates on the earlier 40' Ice Reefers and other proposed locos such as Baldwin-Westinghouse B-1 no.297 which didn't arrive in Yakima until 1942.

post-6819-0-28432300-1327429700_thumb.jpg

Have you caught up with Ashley's work in this area? She has mostly posted in the Workbench area of this Group...

Best, Pete.

Yes, we were discussing trolley poles the other day. It's always good to see modellers letting such minor inconveniences such as a readily available supply of stock and information getting in the way of doing what they want...

Yes, we were discussing trolley poles the other day. It's always good to see modellers letting such minor inconveniences such as a readily available supply of stock and information getting in the way of doing what they want...

What? Do I resemble that remark?

EDIT: *not getting in the way of doing what they want...

What? Do I resemble that remark?

I think only you can answer that....but I think there's something to be said for deciding what to model and then going about it by whatever means, rather than let the manufacturers dictate what inspires us (although that's alot simpler and quicker...!). I've found there is often more trade support in O gauge than HO for traction modellers, and Wiley City was nearly built in O....

You two are doing such interesting stuff! I like it a lot - and I'm not brave enough... Best, Pete.

I don't think "brave" is quite the word- it's just another skill that our varied hobby teaches us, although there really isn't an alternative to erecting your own overhead, as there is for having benchwork custom made or ready to lay track Vs handlaid. My overhead is far from perfect, but it always surprises me to see poles staying on under some quite unsightly work, whether it be overscale hangers, curved wire, or so much uplift from the pole it deflects the wire upwards by several scale feet.

It is quite "hands on" though, some viewers who are used to seeing layouts being operated without resorting to an intrusion from the big hand in the sky are often put off, but there really is no alternative way to swap poles or correctly align one when it comes off.

It is quite "hands on" though, some viewers who are used to seeing layouts being operated without resorting to an intrusion from the big hand in the sky are often put off, but there really is no alternative way to swap poles or correctly align one when it comes off.

Just like the real thing ..... :good_mini:

same thing goes for uncoupling etc .....it is done by hand in reality and when done the same way in model form slows down the shunting process to a more realistic timespan ....also gives you exercise walking up and down the layout !!! :danced: and usually,when exhibiting, starts a conversion with the viewers ...

Regards Trevor.... :sungum:

EDIT: *not getting in the way of doing what they want...

I think only you can answer that....but I think there's something to be said for deciding what to model and then going about it by whatever means, rather than let the manufacturers dictate what inspires us (although that's alot simpler and quicker...!). I've found there is often more trade support in O gauge than HO for traction modellers, and Wiley City was nearly built in O....

I see, it's the not getting the not in the right place , which has not helped you to convey what you meant to say, rather than what you had said, or not, because of the not being left out.

All clear now.

• 3 weeks later...

One important piece of feedback from my #1 operator at the layout's debut at the TVNAM show last year was there wasn't enough variety amongst the Reefer fleet, as I only had five of the latest generation 57' cars (3x Intermountain in Orange, one Yellow, and a sole R-70-16 from Red Caboose). Luckily I'd brough a few reserves (Athearn and Con-Cor), but these lack the finer detail and I must add my choice is somewhat limited as by the 1980's, Fruit originating on the YVT could be pretty much guaranteed to leave the Valley in a PFE 57' Mechanical Reefer.

So with the Nottingham show and two days of operating looming, I sourced a couple more new cars via eBay:

post-6819-0-20658400-1329513323_thumb.jpg

SPFE 457150 is an Intermountain R-70-20 in the not so popular 1983- SPFE white scheme, whilst UPFE 452492 is a Red Caboose R-70-16 in my favourite Armor Yellow, and retains the roof walk mounts and high ladders and brakewheel that these cars usually kept until withdrawl. The total price for the pair including postage and charges was about £55.

I've undertake my usual modifications of removing the trip pins from the already Kadee #58-equipped Intermountain car and adding these couplings to the Red Caboose one, re-securing it's weight (which was loose), and painting the wheel faces. I've also done my usual quick weathering of washing light coats of thinned Raw Sienna and Raw Umber acrylic, and dusting the cars with grey tile grout. I resisted the temptation to over-weather the white car as this would still have been fairly clean in my chosen time period (although I was tempted to repaint one of the doors orange, as happened where a damaged door was replaced with the nearest maintenance spare).

post-6819-0-95281700-1329514019_thumb.jpg

So with 7 Reefers available for service, I should have enough of a variety within the modern fleet to not have to resort to using the Athearn cars. I'm even thinking of disposing of them, so if anyone wants a block fleet of yellow and orange PFE and UPFE cars, let me know. At the last count there were about 40 of them....

Wish I'd known you needed those - I have half a dozen or so, picked up at a Glasgow when Macs was closing -all in white, sitting in a box because they are really too long for the layout that they were needed to run on - since then the layout has departed to the great layout in the sky, but the reefers are still here

Wish I'd known you needed those - I have half a dozen or so, picked up at a Glasgow when Macs was closing -mall in white, sitting in a box because they are really too long for the layout that they were needed to run on - since then the layout has departed to the great layout in the sky, but the reefers are still here

That sounds like the remains of an Athearn blue box 12-pack, so not really of great use I'm afraid, Jack. Although it does sound like a good excuse for you to build a new layout....

Archived