For the following information and the drawings I'm working from I'm indebted to Richard [Wheeltapper] and David [BigCheesePlant]
The building is based on Wallingford shed in the 1930s......
"A brick built depot with a slated roof and small lean-to office at the gable end. A coaling platform stood adjacent to the shed , and a water tower , probably a GWR addition, was provided.
The line was opened in 1866 as the Wallingford and Watlington Railway , but never went further than Wallingford from Cholsey. The shed could have been built at this period . Further research , however indicates that it could have been an 1890 replacement of an original shed built in 1866. This would have made the depot of GWR origin as the W & W Railway was absorbed by the GWR in 1872. The depot measured 50 feet x 20 feet overall.
On 31/12/1947 the one locomotive allocated to the shed was 0-4-2 Tank 1447
The Depot Closed in February 1956 . It was a sub shed to Didcot "
Herewith a picture of progress on the walls complete with the blue brick pier arrangement, made from four/five layers of Packeto-Cornoflako and mount-card.
For the blue brick plinths I cut two strips of Packeto-Cornoflako [P-C] with 45 degree edges, then covered them with blue brick paper. To do that, and get the angle bend in the paper, I scribed two lines on the reverse of the paper about 0.75mm apart and pre-folded them together several times to make sure they folded evenly down the 30cm lengths. Then I Prit-Stik'd the paper strips, folded them almost together and pushed each of the bevelled card into the fold, moulding the paper around the sharp bevel as best as I could. After a few minutes I burnished the 45 degree bevel with my scalpel handle to 'harden' the angled edge [which also gives a more convincing engineering brick shine to the paper] and when both were dry, I stuck the slightly narrower strip on top of the wider one to make the double bevel top edge. To mitre the corner, I laid a strip out flat, and using a Stanley knife guided by a little perspex 45 degree square I cut through the card.
I've tried to keep the flashing reasonably correct, marking the wall/roof pieces to a realistic length, and I've deliberately cut the 'lower' edge of each run of slate paper [Scalescenes] to include a little of the dark wavy edge so that it gives the impression of the slight irregularity and thickness of what would have been natural hand-cut slates. The chimney pot is made from two separate strips of newspaper twiddled around a cocktail stick, then twiddled with acrylic paint, mounted on squares of card. After making up the wrapper of black cartridge paper for the stove, I rubbed it over with a soft-lead pencil to give the requisite shine.
I first fitted a false 'under-roof' in 2mm pasteboard that was infintessimally larger than the outline of the walls. The brown wooden fascia boards are glued to it's edge AFTER the cartridge paper/slate paper has been fitted with a realistic overhang. This allows the observer to see a more life-like thin edge of the outside slates, rather than a 2mm thickness. As I'm not sure if I've explained that very well, I've done a J.A. type sketch....
Now , the smoke troughs. The drawings fortunately show them as rectilinear but to get to the track for cleaning et cetera they will have to be removable so I have decided to fix them to, and remove them with the roof.
Here's a start, 1/4" balsa-wood sandwiched between some thin card. The short lengths of wood inside the chimneys helped building up the sides. The whole then liberally painted with shellac [white knotting] and sanded all round when dry. It allows clean sharp edges, and really strengthens a potentially flimsy structure, given my foregoing observations re 'removeability'.
The plans show three rafters, with substantial steel rods reaching upwards at an angle from their ends to join with another hanging down from the ridge joint in a sort of 'Mercedes' sign configuration. As you'll not see the inside of the ridge I've left a triangular piece to which to glue the top of the smoke trough.
It's a little tricky fitting the sub-roof around two different length ends and four chimneys, but luckily it worked reasonably well, and now awaits a covering of slate-paper stuck to cartridge paper.
Finally, an interior view, the inner 'curtain' wall in engineering brick with the steel framed windows, the bricks above the windows supported on a steel strip lintel, after the fashion of the drawing below. The walls are some 2ft thick at the bottom and the very few rafters and trusses are backed up by a 'Mercedes symbol' of substantial iron rods, which pass from the walls through the sides of the trough to join with a vertical rod hanging down from the central roof, so absorbing the outward push of the roof and so supporting the smoke troughs, which all my research to date indicate were made from wood, lined with thin steel sheet.
I'll try to keep things up to date as I go along and hope this is useful to someone.
I'm sorry if more than one of any picture appears, or appears out of order, I've never yet managed to post a full thread here without a co%k-up!
Edited by Chubber, 25 January 2012 - 16:05 .