Dinting shed in Electric days

Michael Delamar

I have only ever seen one, and I think that was in one of the Foxline books or the Martin Bairstow Sheffield, Ashton and Manchester Railway book. If I remember correctly it shows the engine shed with a J11 possibly coaling up and one or two (black) EM1s in front of the shed.

It was a something I was looking at a year or two back as I thought it might make an unusual layout, steam and electics on a small shed, I suppose you could get away with a good proportion of Gorton's fleet on a 'it could happen' basis.

• RMweb Gold

Red Devil is spot on, p111 of Woodhead pt1, E M Johnson, Foxline, Scenes from the Past 29, there's a shot of the shed with the wire up, J11/3 coaling, an EM1 and an O4/8, which presumably dates it to 1953 or 4.

Proud of the Reds today as well, even though we didn't win.

Best wishes,

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

I've just found another one. In British Railways Illustrated, Volume 20, February 2011, p215 there's another shot of the same J11/3, 64332, from the front. The loco is on the shed road, which was not electrified. The sidings to the right were by this point. Date is 8th May 1954. The photo is by B K B Green, Initial Photographics. It looks as though it has been quite closely cropped for inclusion in the mag. The article is by E M Johnson in the Woodhead series which ran from 2009 - 2011. I'm hoping they'll continue to the East soon as this series covers West of Woodhead only. There are some other great shots in and around Dinting in this edition if you can track one down.

Cheers,

Alastair

• RMweb Premium

I am sure I have a Colour Rail slide of an EM1 parked outside the shed in black livery. I don't know if it is still available though.

Edit: Just had a look. Colour Rail slide DE 952.

• 4 weeks later...

Ps. What orange EMUs ? When I lived in the area, they were all green !!!

this was the mid 1980s so may have been class 303 in brown and orange, probably 506s., I was too young to know what units they where but can remember the colour. they seemed to rush past the crossing pretty quick.

can also remember on the trip home on the motorway seeing some more, maybe 6 car rushing over the motorway bridge

• 8 months later...

Has anyone got/seen a trackplan for Dinting shed in the pre preservation era, and when did it actually close?

Yes. Simply a 1 track through shed with 2 tracks passing on the south east all derived from a single feed line. The coal stage and water tank were on the north-east side of the line at the southern entrance.

It first closed in 1935. Was reopened in 1942. Was closed again, to steam, in 1954. Was opened by the railway preservation group The Dinting Railway Centre in 1968. Which closed again in 1990.

Yes. Simply a 1 track through shed with 2 tracks passing on the south east all derived from a single feed line. The coal stage and water tank were on the north-east side of the line at the southern entrance.

It first closed in 1935. Was reopened in 1942. Was closed again, to steam, in 1954. Was opened by the railway preservation group The Dinting Railway Centre in 1968. Which closed again in 1990.

If it closed to steam in 1954, did it close to Electrics at the same time? I'm just wondering if the few pictures of it with EM1s on shed date from 1954 or if it was used later?

If it closed to steam in 1954, did it close to Electrics at the same time? I'm just wondering if the few pictures of it with EM1s on shed date from 1954 or if it was used later?

Afraid I cannot help on that - not being in anyway an expert on EM1s. The closure date is pretty vague in the case of Dinting (usually i can be a lot more specific on timing) but a year is a long time. In most cases the closure date I do have relate only to operational steam, as we all know many sheds subsequently became used for diesel or electric traction. However, in most of these cases there is also reference to continued use. The shed itself was certainly in a non-derelict state when taken over by the DRC (unlike when they left it) so it would not surprise me if the shed had other leased use or storage by BR following 1954.

At one stage the track alongside the exhibition hall used to curve round and connect to the prefab garage which housed the Jacobs i/c loco. There was also a Merryweather vb tram rusting away at this end of the site, either on the garage track or a disconnected length. I'm pretty sure this siding was removed completely in later years, leaving Jacob isolated at the viaduct end and just a footpath alongside the exhibition hall.

I visited the site earlier this year, it is now very overgrown and difficult to imagine how it used to be. The old shed is faring remarkably well but everything else is tumbling down under the joint attacks of vandals and the Glossop weather.

Does anyone know what Dinting was used for post 1954? Up until then I presume a share of the Glossop - Manchester passenger service, and also to provide Glossop pilot plus Waterside Branch engine - quite possibly the same job.

Post 1954 the locals were EMUs from Reddish and if the shed closed to steam then the Waterside/pilot workings would be covered by Gorton. The Waterside job would have to be steam and if memory serves me the Glossop pilot was always a steam loco.

Dinting shed certainly had wires running into its yard, and the track remained in place until taken over as a Railway Centre. But what would it actually be used for? Storage of surplus EM1s?

A moderate amount of googling tells me the branch closed on 2 March 1964, which is close enough to how I remember things. It certainly went before the end of steam. There is supposed to be a photo of a 4F on it in the May 2011 edition of Railway Magazine. Part of it was apparently closed in 1962. Its only function (as far as I know) was to serve mills. It certainly never had a passenger service. (Apart from the odd enthusiasts' special I believe.) The level crossing gates still survive at Gamesley, or did when I last looked.

Link to photo thereof

Archived